10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    isn't that fairly normal?
    That's half price afaik. Anime volumes are generally around 70 USD in Japan. It also matters how many episodes are in each volume. Typical shows should be around 30-35 dollars an episode.

- - - Updated - - -

SnK 32 spoilers - This scene's animation was beyond good. https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34352

The animation in the entire episode was bliss, but holy shit that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    SnK 32 spoilers - This scene's animation was beyond good. https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34352

The animation in the entire episode was bliss, but holy shit that scene.
    Wow, that looks incredible! Can't wait to watch it when the Toonami dub catches up (currently 3 episodes behind subs).

(Note: reposting of older review, just spent some time to touch it up in the writing and add in many more pictures/links.)

Gunslinger Girl - 10/10

“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved -- loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The first impression one might have of Gunslinger Girl is that it is another "cute girls with guns" show. The name does not help the series any either, as it sounds cavalier in its use of violence. When I first watched it I was not expecting much, but thirteen episodes later it had made a deeper impression on me than any series has before or since.

Gunslinger Girl is not an action series, but a drama without plot. The structure is primarily episodic, focusing on each of the individual girls in the organization, along with their "handlers" and back stories. But this does not describe its true purpose. It is profoundly melancholy; the sadness is much more muted than most series. This is because the tragedy does not belong to any one person. It isn't about what happens in the series, but the fact that it can happen. At the core is a desperate questioning of how the world can be so distinctly wrong. The phrase that comes to mind is a title somebody used for an AMV: Expendable Innocence. Nothing cuts to the core better than that epithet.

"I am very happy to be here at the Social Welfare Corporation..."

The essence of the conditioning is what is most perverse. The girls are stripped of much of their humanity so they may kill, but left with enough to suffer. Referred to generically as "brainwashing," observing it in action makes it clear what it is. These girls have had their fundamental need to be loved and appreciated turned to the ends of the organization. This is why it works best on children: it is a deformation of the most basic child-parent bond. For the entire series you can see them desperately seeking the attention and approval of their handlers, and everything in their world is distorted for it. The scene that hit home the most for me was Angelica's trainer watching her on her first mission: she moves through the targets, killing them in rapid succession, then turns to the observation camera with an innocent smile, as if to ask, "Did I do a good job?"

However, it is the final episode that makes the series whole. For humans, the essence of spirituality is connectedness. We experience a vibrancy of our being when we feel fundamentally linked to something else, whether this be a higher power, the universe, or other people. In a sense they all mirror each other.

As the series comes to a close, Angelica dies. It is a tragedy, but it is not unmitigated. She has suffered so much, but as she leaves this world she is cared for, appreciated. Her affection, so long unrequited, has finally been returned in these last moments. I know it is taboo to use such a word on the internet, but "spiritual" is the only proper description. It can be said that this does not fix anything, but that is missing the point.

The Good:
    The visual design is subtle and exquisitely matches the tone of the show. The color pallet is subdued, but not dark. Instead, there is always bright light, coming from elsewhere, seeming to suffuse through the world. This approach also acts to heighten the shadows, often creating strong visual cues throughout the series. This low-key, unextravagant approach is reciprocated by the appearance of the characters. The girls in particular are well-designed: young, vulnerable, but not "cutesy." Matching these visuals, the direction of the series is to a slower pace, giving us time to think. Many situations pass silently, the shots slowly shifting across the scene, lingering on single people or objects. It is, in a word, contemplative.

Further complimenting this design, the series places great stock in the accuracy of its world. Scenes take place in well-established locations, such as the Uffizi Gallery, the Spanish Steps, and the Apennine Mountains. There is also a curiously high level of detail given to the weapons and their technique, which are exceedingly accurate despite being employed by young girls.

Another thing Gunslinger Girl is to be commended on is its restraint. In a series which features abuse, rape, human trafficking, and the suicide of a child, it stays above utilizing them for vulgar shock value. What has happened to these girls is something nobody ever needs to see.

"If you ordered her to practice last night, then she should still be there."

The musical score of Gunslinger Girl also deserves mention. Starting off is the OP of the series, set to the haunting, "The Light Before We Land." Matched with the meaningful visuals and simple introduction of the characters, it is one of the few openings that I never skipped while watching.

Beyond this the series possesses a melancholy Western-sounding classical score, which fits perfectly with the Italian setting. The score is not just beautiful, but it is applied with great poignancy. The main theme, Tema I, is sorrowful and captures a powerful loneliness and grandness in its notes. Another of my personal favorites is Etereo, played when irreparable damage is being done: the training of Henrietta and the dismissal of Elsa from her duty. The confusion comes pouring through in the disjointed notes, fading slowly into a quiet end and a dark last chord. (Sadly, due to copyrights purges on YouTube I cannot link and discuss more.)

Finally, Gunslinger Girl ends with Beethoven's Ninth, a song that like "Light Before We Land" is not written for the series but finds exquisite application. I would like to end this section with a translated section of the lyrics, sung as Angelica dies:

Joy, beautiful spark of divinity
    Daughter from Elysium
    We enter, drunk with fire,
    Into your sanctuary, heavenly (daughter)!

The Bad:
    I find no major faults with Gunslinger Girl as a series, aside from the occasional drop in visual quality. However, I do feel compelled to mention that the anime is slow. It is very slow. In fact the first two episodes are the same day, repeating much of the same content. This can be particularly off-putting for many people. This is doubly bad if the show doesn't really "click" with the watcher, because many of the scenes have no explanation. An example that comes to mind is the moment when Henrietta watches the couple ride past on the motorbike. She doesn't say anything, they don't explain anything; we just track her gaze. But in the context it's her mind obviously trying to understand that existence, as it is so far outside of her. I found it a poignant moment, but it and many others can slip by easily. So I highly recommend that if the show isn't clicking to just drop it, because it won't "get better."

The other thing I must mention is the existence of a second season, which I would normally not mention because it's terrible. Studio changed, VAs changed, tone changed, theme changed, everything changed. Even worse, Angelica doesn't die according to the second season. This is such a horrible mangling of the first season's ending, robbing it of the power that it has. I just pretend it doesn't exist.

Gunslinger Girl is a series that is deeply resonant, subtle, tragic, and beautiful. It is my recommendation that every thoughtful person take the time to view it.

Last edited by Neichus; 2017-05-14 at 01:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    doesn't granblue come with game bonuses?
    happy to see konosuba selling well. maybe they'll adapt some more.
    Yeah majority of the people aren't buying them for the anime but for the codes that are included. Wouldn't be surprised if a volume got much lower sales when it comes with a stupid code.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    finished fate extella - still a bittersweet ending for altera's master / (in my opinion) the better altera

Reminds me of how we never got extra CCC >_>.

Since I'll have enough space for F/GO, how easy is it to reroll in it? I want to have a good start at the beginning :P
    [CENTER]

so uh. like no one posted at al lthis weekend. i remember when we would get 5-6 pages a day easy and we got jack and shit this weekend. are you all dead or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    so uh. like no one posted at al lthis weekend. i remember when we would get 5-6 pages a day easy and we got jack and shit this weekend. are you all dead or something?
    I really only watched stuff today since I worked 12-9 yesterday and blazed through extella's last main story today
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Your answer starts with D and isn't dick.

i shitpost

Like dead as in inactive or dead inside?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll pick my shit up with posting my shit opinions. For this weekend, I caught up on everything except latest Re:Creators and King's Avatar. My thoughts from this week:
    - I'm liking Attack on Titan S2 more than I enjoyed S1. Solid action, and I enjoy the character development. Definitely has some flaws, and I still feel that if you didn't like the first season, you def won't like this one.
    - Boku No Hero Academia has been doing an amazing job this season. Every episode, even if it is slower, hypes me up in some way. I love how they're able to show the strengths of the different quirks without the MC being the overpowered goodness that we expect from Shoenen. This latest episode was really interesting from me as it delved into the weaknesses of the hero program/test and overcoming certain prejudices. Found it extremely intriguing.
    - Eromanga-Sensei is the best garbage ever. I am loving it, and feel bad for that. I am sad I haven't heard much from Epuration in regards to this. @Epuration my bad if you have

For my English show, I was watching Accel World and didn't mind the first season for the garbage it was. However, the second season hasn't grabbed me as much. Due to this, I've moved onto Rage of Bahumut...This show is fantastic. I am sad that I hadn't watched this earlier. I am only 3 episodes in, but I'm loving the world, and the characters are likeable enough.

Outside of anime, I did watch Guardians of the Galaxy v2 yesterday and it was enjoyable. Some humor was forced, but if you enjoyed the first one, you'll like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    For my English show, I was watching Accel World and didn't mind the first season for the garbage it was. However, the second season hasn't grabbed me as much. Due to this, I've moved onto Rage of Bahumut...This show is fantastic. I am sad that I hadn't watched this earlier. I am only 3 episodes in, but I'm loving the world, and the characters are likeable enough.
    FAVAARRRRROOOOOOOO

I picked that up on bluray on sale earlier this week for ~$20bucks. that and eureka seven

me_irl

FAVAARRRRROOOOOOOO

I picked that up on bluray on sale earlier this week for ~$20bucks. that and eureka seven

me_irl

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    [IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/768647cc678b71fc21017c3e43d32e0f/tumblr_opx1jfh3qt1sv5krro1_540.gif[IMG]

10+ Year Old Account
    Now i wish that was a anime:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Decided to rewatch Toradora over the weekend. Still thoroughly enjoy it after the 3rd run through. The last 10 or so episodes still get to me Especially Taiga's realisation in Ep 19 and the events of Ep 23 & 24 after Taiga hands out the chocolates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Studio Gokumi Reveals Toji no Miko Original Anime Project

In the anime's story, since ancient times, shrine maidens who wield swords have been exorcising "aratama," strange existences that threaten the human world. These young women who wear school uniforms and a sword are called "Toji," and they serve as an official unit within the police force as a "special religious service police squad." The government authorizes the Toji to wear swords and serve as government officials, and the government has set up five schools throughout the country for the girls to attend. The girls live ordinary school lives, while occasionally performing their duties, wielding their swords and using various powers to fight and protect the people. In the spring, the five schools send their best Toji to compete in a tournament. As the tournament comes closer, all of the representatives rigorously train themselves in order to get stronger and improve their skills.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...roject/.116120

Not gonna lie, I hope the rest of Alice to Zouroku is just like the 6th episode. So adorable. Pretty much everything I wanted this show to be.

For the resident lolicons, if you're looking for some trash to watch, you might find the latest Tsugumomo amusing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    finished fate extella - still a bittersweet ending for altera's master / (in my opinion) the better altera

Reminds me of how we never got extra CCC >_>.

Since I'll have enough space for F/GO, how easy is it to reroll in it? I want to have a good start at the beginning :P
    Fate/Extella - Body Hakuno is by far the best Hakuno. Body Hakuno x Altera is OTP.

It doesn't take long to reroll, iirc. The starter roll at the beginning gives you a guaranteed random 4* Servant (out of this list). So if there's a Servant you want from that list, it shouldn't take too long. But if you want maximum value you'd probably want a 5* so it might take a while, and you'll need to clear a few more missions each time.

I don't think I'll bother rerolling for a 5* though tbh. I'll probably just go for Heracles so I can clear things faster. He's also the definite best (gameplay-wise, at least) in that list.

edit: now that I think about it you can also reroll for the chance at getting multiple 4* in the starter roll, which might be worth it.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2017-05-15 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    Not gonna lie, I hope the rest of Alice to Zouroku is just like the 6th episode. So adorable. Pretty much everything I wanted this show to be.
    Definitely agree. Sadly, the episode was so adorable that it means that shit is going to get flipped upside down next week. RIP everyone.