Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wishful thinking. People want it to end because they're over it yet can't move on. Quite selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    It's just their own biased opinion and views of the game as they play it. WoW is not dying, they are simply gettnig tired of it and to them it feels like it's dying. What is really dying is their enjoyment of the game, which is perfectly understandable cuz it's been a while. Games aren't meant to be played forever, at some point it gets old and we are supposed to move on. WoW just has this Stockholm syndrome where people stay but still hate on the game.
    i would rephrase that as a love/hate relationship. I love wow...but i get burnt out and meh with the game. Since xmas i been barley playing...logging for raids only basically and maybe a few hours on the weekend....but since Sunday...for whatever reason I got the wow bug again...just can't get enough.

Love/hate relationship....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    How can this be?

Something that is dead yet still going......
    Because when people talk about MMOs as "dead", they don't mean "servers shut down". They mean "dead" as in "deserted". A game that is basically in maintenance mode, with a few people hanging onto the game that will stick to it no matter what anyway. A game that isn't hot anymore. I mean Everquest is apparently still getting expansions, but I can't remember ever seeing news on an announced Everquest expansion. I don't think a new Everquest expansion has been as eagerly anticipated as a new WoW expansion in years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    hm i wouldnt be betting 5-6 expansions - more like 5-6 years - they bought themselves good 2-3 years with wow token but now that prices in west are going crazy high and people are runing out of time they bought it will be less and less people playing constantly and more and more people subbing on and off - its visible well in legion that blizzard is releasing more content then ever before and susb stabilised around 3 mln - my guess they will keep loosing around 1 mln per expansions closing more and more to f2p model without cheap tokens.
    I do agree a lot with the token situation as you described it, i do not dare to make any type of number of years/number of expansions prediction, but if the token prices keep going up, more and more people who only play the game because the sub is payable with gold will quit, forcing blizzard to make the game F2P using a more traditional F2P formula, or just accept those players who pay for the sub with money and deal with that population, which would be far smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Even at 110K, the tokens are still cheap enough for my casual ass... but you might be right.
    Yeah me myself, also have no problem with the price of the token, even if it doubles, but a lot of people i play with are gonna be forced to either pay with money or quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post

"WoW is dying" thread from Burning Crusade:
    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-m...-wow-25902237/

People have been claiming that WoW is "dying" since it was launched, if it really was it should have died a looong time ago.
    People back in TBC probably thought that because people they knew, in their guild or on their server, became less fanatic about the game after having spent so much time grinding in Vanilla. The initial fascination wore off, like with a girlfriend you had for 2+ years.

But in Cataclysm subs actually started plummeting. Now we had a figure to go by. In WoD, subs were lower than they were in Vanilla. It has gotten to a point where they don't even report sub numbers anymore, because they are ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I was on the edge when it was upper 90s. 110 is still good enough (when i bought my last token, i used it to check my overall gold on my 2 servers and was in far better shape than i thought). 204K, nope. I'd be back over in SWTOR.
    and by the end of legion it will be probably closer to 300k or maybe even 400k unless blizzard puts in some gold sinks - wow token worked for sure to boost subs but once the 36 months people bought when it was introduced run out subs will plummet i bet by at least 1 mln

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post

"WoW is dying" thread from Burning Crusade:
    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-m...-wow-25902237/

People have been claiming that WoW is "dying" since it was launched, if it really was it should have died a looong time ago.
    Man I lovvvvved the daily blink!!!! <333333

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Beacuse I can only by bashing WoW let out my sexual frustration.
    This. I feel you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    are they? are they really? got any sources to back up your fanciful claims?
    Blizzard stated this from time to time. There is like average of a few thousand a day or a hour that quits WoW.
    Don't come fanboying that WoW aint dying. It is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Deleted
    WoW is not dying, but there's plenty of idiots in this thread who thinks it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuchika View Post
    The people who want WoW to die obviously have some deep seated mental issues so trying to rationalize their train of thought is pretty much a fools errand tbh. Case in point look at this website and look at how many people claim to have quit months/years ago yet come back on a daily basis to give their spicy takes on the state of a game they supposedly have zero interest in anymore for the luls.
    Exactly. Lmfao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Damn...Jaylock and all...but I agree. Here is toasting to 10 more years of WoW. I mean..I easily see 2 more x-pacs...that is 5 years onwards (if Legion will be around another year) - so..yeah...I don't see WoW end too soon.
    Being a popular and big game, is different then being around. Give it another 5 years and WoW will not be mentioned by majority of gamers anymore.
    WoW playerbase will most likely be below 1M. And there will be alot of servers merging or dead realms.

WoW will still be around though, maybe 20 years after that. But the WoW hype and big crowd and all, will be long but gone.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    This is the direct opposite of what me and my buddies want.
    New Graphics? FUCK NO.
    But why not? Wouldn't you want the game you play and enjoy (presumably) to get a full revamp on graphics, but maintaining the essence of the game? Controls, gameplay, everything could still remain the same. Also, with the usage of a new engine and being able to tinker with things without disrupting gameplay, they could implement some QoL changes that may be desired by many.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysth View Post
    But why not? Wouldn't you want the game you play and enjoy (presumably) to get a full revamp on graphics, but maintaining the essence of the game? Controls, gameplay, everything could still remain the same. Also, with the usage of a new engine and being able to tinker with things without disrupting gameplay, they could implement some QoL changes that may be desired by many.
    No, because part of the enjoyment is the comic style graphics. If I wanted to play some lifelike grahpics I would be playing a differnt mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I love it too. This post is priceless. Somewhat soured by the fact that Daily Blink...wait for it....died

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that is just "moving the goalpost"

I have another nice prediction here that I treasure...the guy who could PROOF with charts and all that WoW will be dead by 04/2015: Apparently due to a mass Exodus caused by ESO and Wildstar. Now if that isn't a hoot.....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post29402702

I am sorry that I cannot give you more credibility
    Nah those predictions you can always ignore. WoW will decline like on those graphs, but not that fast.
    But i do believe WoW will reach 1M in a few years. ( most likely, due the fact WoD and legion have not been doing good for WoW's playerbase) And it wil stay around that number for YEARS to come.

I just think Blizzard can't do much more. And i still believe by this day, that WoW is on Auto pilot and not as important anymore for Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The number of people working / related / paid from WoW is much bigger than 300. Try 2300 or even 3000. Most of those aren't devs, sure. Most get less than 100k per year. But the numbers are still different.
    Uh... you're out of your mind. It isn't anywhere near that, even including GMs and maintenance personnel (which actually aren't provided by Blizzard in most cases, but rather by the server farms themselves, and are part of the cost Blizzard pays to house those servers).

I'm going by Blizzard's own internal numbers here. and the 300 is assuming they were being literal when they claimed to have almost doubled the size of the team.

The other staff positions (GMs and CSRs) are shared between all of Blizzard's services. They aren't part of WoWs "budget" they are part of Blizzard's overall budget for Battle.net and are accounted for differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Even if the team is ~300 people, and they ALL make the industry average (roughly 100k, which is drug up as high as it is because a lot of them live in California and its expensive as shit to live there) - which they dont, junior members assuredly make less - but lets assume they do...

its about 30 million a year in salary, another ~5-ish million in benefits. (Because a lot of Blizzard's benefits are actually provided on-campus (which is one of the perqs to working there), so they are paid regardless of what game you're working on).

Still plenty of profit left on the bone even at a paltry 80 million a year intake.
    LOL you're cute. $100k isn't a lot of money in SoCal and it's certainly not a lot for good software talent there. Also, it's just SO adorable that you think bennies are another 15%. Try 35-50.

I'm not arguing with someone who has no experience running a business much less a software one. The fact is that even if you're broadly right and they could make $40m/year it's a rounding error at their size. They'd be far better off taking 300 people, splitting them into smaller teams and delivering 2-5 other products which would almost certainly crush that number. Look at what Hearthstone has done for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

I'm going by Blizzard's own internal numbers here.
    right. You have access to Blizzard internal numbers. Sure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Ever Quest has been out for 18 years and is still going strong. Their latest expansion is the 23rd in the series, and was released November 16, 2016.

Even if this game has a very niche playerbase, they continue to make content and release expansions for it.

Given this, what makes ANYONE think that WoW would EVER end?

WoW will continue to be expanded on for years and years to come. There is so much lore and so many things they can do to create new and refreshing content that im just surprised that anyone could actually believe that the game is dying or would end in the forseeable future.
    There's never been doubt for me WoW will survive, but It will fall down Into the pits of the other MMOs and not be considered the best anymore, and they won't achieve that If they'll keep catoring to casuals who get everything on a silver platter among other things.

I'm sure WoW will survive, like with other MMOs with It's most hardcore loyal playerbase but that's It... casuals can't maintain a steady playerbase and certainly won't Increase It If they player doesn't feel like he -can- get that tier 205 set like that guy over there... but then you realize, you can do that In Legion! By doing nothing too difficult and then the reward feels bland and distasteful like sour milk. You feel you didn't earn the tier set and you hate the game for not being more challanging in It's aquisition.

The game has lost It's challange at around TBC, arguably somewhere In Mid Wrath more like though. I'm one of those "Played since vanilla" people, hi. And TBC to me Is the best expansion to date, and Legion is currently my most hated one with WoD being just following only because I'm an orc fanboy and I've a bias, so orcs couldn't be the worst, even with all the content gap bullship they pulled on us to "Work on the next expansion" well look how much that brought us.

WoW will never end, but It's glory days -will- end I can say that for certain, If they continue with a similar model to Legion and their story doesn't Invest people and I'm certainly not Interested with a more flashier version of WoW which is basically TBC 2.0 but worse. Wouldn't surprise me If they tried to keep doing that nostalgia ship Instead of doing something new and original and have Wrath of the Lich King 2.0 as well. It's like... jesus just do something original already. Cataclysm around the world? Meh.. Pandas? What the fuc-.. timetravelling with orcs? I love orcs, but we're not Star Trek stop It with the time travel Interdimensional shizzle.

What I'd love for WoW to do Is have a new planet for us to visit, a completely, new, planet. Not Argus, new... new races, new Interesting and strange landscapes, very dangereous ones, where we might encounter servants of the Void Lords. No doubt Azeroth Is drained of resources to a point the Horde and Alliance just needs more places to go and "Conquer", new story developments with the characters we have, hell meet new main characters. Or have old ones come up! Did you know we have the princess of Lordaeron sitting In the priest hall doing bugger all? I don't care about the "She forfeited the right to her throne" with a wall of text that blizzard can retcon like they do with everything, what's the worry? Have her go out there, unite the remnants of Lordaeron (Which will also give story potential for RPers, mind you) and the Silver Hand perhaps, and charge to retake Lordaeron or even establish a new kingdom entirely on this new planet we're going to take. Perhaps with a new and better garrison system where we don't lollygag around the garrison most for most of the time though... sorry alittle sidetracked, anyway she could take the fight to Sylvannas, take back the capital with Stormwind and Gilneas attacking from Silverpine... and the Horde either leaving her to her fate or helping her, which would be twisty as she's the Warchief, sorta kinda (but I'm an orc fanboy, and I say... a corpse Is not my warchief, no matter what Vol'jin said)..

..anyway, long winded way of saying WoW will survive, hurray! But will be bland and uninteresting to play like the other MMOs surviving on their hardcore playerbases but still doing quite well, like Lotr, EQ, ESO and even... god forbid, SWTOR... /cringes.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

WoW will prod along and eventually fade further until Blizzard decides it is no longer worth while to keep the servers up anymore. It may also end up like some classic mmorpgs in that a few servers are still active, but mostly a back burner thing, mostly forgotten. Depends on how Blizzard wants to handle it, just pull the plug, or keep it running on a limited basis with little to no support. At this point I think its safe to say that WoW has seen its glory days come and go.

Shareholders and a BOD
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam