Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukon View Post
    In a way, you could ask the question "Why reinvent the wheel?". What is the point in building up a social platform, when there already exists one. Sure they could have gone with steam... But then again, both Bungie and Blizzard are owned by Activision. It might be more logical for them to use their platform.

Developing something that already exists, would be a waste of resources that they could invest in making their game better! It's not just about capital, money and investors but also about priorities.
    Far smaller companies, with much smaller populations for their games, have their own clients. Tera, Wildstar come to mind. The notion that Bungie, backed by Activision/Blizzard money can't afford the money or the time to make their own is laughable.
    Blizzard isn't owned by Activision. Blizzard and Activision are the same company.

They can of course do as they please. I just see this as a breach of consistency and breaking their own words, by saying that the app is a platform for Blizzard games. So if they want to change that, they should go all out with it, and not be dishonest about it.
    Activision has the money and the capacity to make their own client if they wanted to, but they don't, because a place like Blizzards app has as you said all the work already done. And they don't want to be involved with Steam, because that'd add an extra hand into the process that they can't control or manage.

My gripe with this is that it's clearly against what Blizzard has always said, that Blizzard is Blizzard and that's all it's gonna be. I don't buy this corporate talk of "helping out". Bungie completely capable of doing it on their own.
    Bungie is gonna handle everything except for log-ins, authentication and social functions. That's what makes this such meaningless "help".

I know my complaint is probably ridiculous if you don't care for principles and coherency. But I'm a real fanatic about that. Bungie doesn't need this help. They really don't. THe reasoning is complete bullshit. They want to publish this game as fast as possible and cut corners doing so, so sayeth the investors.
    I would have zero issue with them putting more Activision/Blizzard games on the app, at all. I welcome it. Competition to Steam is needed. But this story of generosity is bullshit and completely dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukon View Post
    That's an assumption, not a fact. The game has yet to be released.
    Well so far it doesnt have a great legacy, The last one promised the world but delivered a barren rock.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol @ the crybabies saying this is bad.

Im pretty keen to play Destiny on PC, so ill be giving this a shot.

Does this mean I'll be able to use my Blizzard Balance to purchase Destiny 2?
    Yes!
    time to start farming gold/tokens

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    You can give proof of a quality of a game that will exist in a few months. I can say with certitude, as I've worked in AAA game making for a few years, that Blizzard employees have been able to play Destiny early. This is not a decision made by Activision, but by Blizzard directly.
    Really? If you've been in development of games you'd also know what a rollercoaster ride development can be. Just look at how Overwatch came to be and how uncertain that was for a long time. They didn't even know if people would like it, but they went with it and it worked.
    If you have to name yourself a AAA-developer you'll have to back that up with some info on what you've worked with and whom, if you don't mind. Otherwise it's hard to believe you when you say you talk from experience and insight.

I disagree, this is entirely pressure from Activision and their investors. Blizzard could've supported any other game at all. Destiny 2 isn't lacking in money nor development time. This is cutting corners for a quicker launch. Convenience. Blizzard could've of course said no, but I think they see the money in this as well. It's a lucrative opportunity, because it puts Destiny 2 and Blizzards game next to one another, something one or the other is gonna benefit from.

Quote Originally Posted by RealistKilla View Post
    Here's the inside story ppl.

Destiny is actually very similar to Blizzards "titan" project. It's obvious to me that's the REAL reason blizzard fucking scrapped titan. They are both multiplayer first person shooter games in an open world. Basically an mmorpg. Activision came in and said 'hey we can't have you putting out competition for our mmorpgfps, scrap that massive project, make some silly battleground game like team fortress and we will cross Promote Destiny with you.' Just because your only hearing it now doesn't mean this deal was struck last week. These companies plan shit like this years and even decades in advance.
    This is probably closer to the truth, than most people realize. I have a couple of questions, though.

If Blizzard is it's own, like Activison said it was, then why wasn't Steam used or some other platform? Considering it's not a Blizzard product, Bungie is handling all of the servers, and Blizzard would more than likely not allow this to happen.

Are more games coming to Blizzard App, that aren't from Activision?

I dunno, I'm leaning to the side the Activision has more say in the company then Blizzard is letting on. Have felt this way for years. Yet, something like this is way more than spooky circumstances, for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanja View Post
    lol @ the crybabies saying this is bad.

Im pretty keen to play Destiny on PC, so ill be giving this a shot.

time to start farming gold/tokens
    I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying it's inconsistent with Blizzards stated philosophy for their own game client. I also find the motivation to be ridiculously laughable, as if Bungie needs help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grmmppff View Post
    Let me translate that:
    "We loved Destiny", "Creating a network client, [...] would needlessly extend the development period for the game. We want to get our hands on Destiny 2 as soon as possible like everybody else, so we offered to share our PC platform" actually means: We found a way to make lots of money a) from our sister company and b) from customers, so it was basic math that drove us to do it.

"we don’t have any short- or long-term plans to support third-party games with Battle.net" "quality standards [...], which represents a big investment of time and effort on our part, so this is not something we’re jumping into lightly." means: We're not Steam(yet), but if we find that another game could bring us as much money, we'd be glad to

"Destiny 2 will be integrated into many of Blizzard’s existing social features. [...]. And, you’ll see a Destiny 2 status icon by your friends who are playing Destiny 2 the same way you do for friends playing StarCraft II, Diablo III, WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, and Overwatch." means: We want people who play our current game to learn about that new great game they can buy first hand.
    Yepp yepp yepp yepp. Hit the nail on the head.
    I'd be happier with it if they were honest about it, because this is what it really is about.

Apparently the PC version will be delayed, for how long - no one knows. GTA 5 PC version v2 inc.

There goes my interest in the game.
    Last edited by Adlian; 2017-05-18 at 09:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL @ everyone thinking this is somehow a bad thing. Kids these days don't know anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Litraphy View Post
    Uhm, what? It's not like Activision owns Blizzard.
    But they do own them...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    Apparently the PC version will be delayed, for how long - no one knows. GTA 5 PC version v2 inc.
    Hm, so it seems that the decision to use the Blizzard client would be to save time so that the PC version will get to launch closer to the console version, so the sales for the PC version can be better? BEcause if it's really late, I reckon it won't sell good on PC.
    I'm starting to see the reasoning behind this decision. I understand it. But they're being dishonest about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    LOL @ everyone thinking this is somehow a bad thing. Kids these days don't know anything.
    And you're really adding some quality to the discussion.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Q. Why is destiny 2 on BNET?

A. Because valve takes a cut of the sales of stuff on Steam. I'm not 100% sure but I think that includes microtransactions made through the Steam app. By putting the game on BNET 100% of the funds go to Activision and Bungie. If you have a well functioning distribution platform why deal with a third party?

10+ Year Old Account
    And it begins. Just like fall of TF2.

Start promoting non-first-party games with bonus features for other games.

"Buy Destiny 2 and get a free hat in Overwatch!"

Destiny is already an Activision game. There's no reason every Activision game doesn't just move over to Battle.net and dump Steam.

(also thank god people are still calling it BNET cause fuck Blizzard App)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    But they do own them...
    Sort of.
    Activision-Blizzard is a publisher.
    Blizzard is still its own publisher and it's own studio.
    Of Which Vivendi Universal owns slightly more than half the shares of.
    Blizzard development isn't run by Activision, but by Blizzard. Activision doesn't publish Blizzard either.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post

There goes my interest in the game.
    I was so excited until I read this. Thanks for ruining my day. First World problems.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Q. Why is destiny 2 on BNET?

A. Because valve takes a cut of the sales of stuff on Steam. I'm not 100% sure but I think that includes microtransactions made through the Steam app. By putting the game on BNET 100% of the funds go to Activision and Bungie. If you have a well functioning distribution platform why deal with a third party?
    Yeah this is also probably a big dealbreaker in this. But I understand their unwillingness to go to Steam. But I really think they should just develop their own platform instead or expand the Blizzard one into an Activision-Blizzard platform. Because this is Blizzards platform right now, not Bungies nor Activisions. But this sends the message that it no longer is, which is my gripe with it.

That's pretty cool. Does this mean Blizzard will have a hand in the support of the game, or will it just be a face value thing?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

ew, so like other blizzard games I can still not properly put myself in offline/hidden mode when I am having an anti-social mood and don't want friends stalking me.
    Still so beyond bad that after all this time we still don't have a way to go offline in friendlist but hey that's blizzard, money money money. If it ever came it's probably a paid service lol.

I wanted to play destiny 2 and I love blizzard games in general but this is meh.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    And it begins. Just like fall of TF2.

Start promoting non-first-party games with bonus features for other games.

"Buy Destiny 2 and get a free hat in Overwatch!"

Destiny is already an Activision game. There's no reason every Activision game doesn't just move over to Battle.net and dump Steam.

(also thank god people are still calling it BNET cause fuck Blizzard App)
    I have my doubts that this will lead to cross-game promotions.

The first Destiny was disappointing for me, the story missions were too short and it ended abruptly, if the second destiny promises and delivers a better story experience then I might consider buying it. I may also buy it if we get rewards in WoW and Overwatch.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    That's pretty cool. Does this mean Blizzard will have a hand in the support of the game, or will it just be a face value thing?
    You should've read what the post said.
    Blizzard provides the client, which means they only handle log-ins, authentication and cross-game social features but that's it. Bungie have the servers and all that stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    The first Destiny was disappointing for me, the story missions were too short and it ended abruptly, if the second destiny promises and delivers a better story experience then I might consider buying it. I may also buy it if we get rewards in WoW and Overwatch.
    The story was really weak though. Forgettable and some times even incoherent. If that changes they might have a more solid game yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KorribanN View Post
    How about give us some REAL latin american servers in WoW , we play with 200 MS all day and you open servers for destiny ? such a disrespect.
    Theyre not opening servers for Destiny. Read the damned post.