10+ Year Old Account

Need help picking a wireless card/adapter

Hello there, I was hoping someone could help me. I'm looking to get a new external/usb wireless card/adapter. The one I have been using for SEVERAL years recently broke on me. The thing is, I have no idea how I'm supposed to pick one out. What am I looking for exactly when I'm purchasing one? I don't want to be that person that assumes the more it costs, the better it is.

This is the one I was using before: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833704045

I want one that is stable/reliable and has good connectivity/speed. I will be stopping by best buy soon, and even wal-mart if I have to. If I recall, the ones they carry are the little netgear ones. I am willing to wait and order something if the ones best buy/wal-mart offer aren't good. Price is not an issue.

Edit: I should probably add I need one that is still good at some distance. I'm not too terribly far away from the router, but yeah, I need a good/strong signal, especially for gaming and streaming and such.

Thank you Shyama for the beautiful sig ♥

You really want internal, and something with 2xT 2xR for mimo:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tooth_4_0.html

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't want internal, though, which is why I asked for external, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaesca View Post
    I really don't want internal, though, which is why I asked for external, thanks!
    All external wifi cards are junk, maybe someone else can help you.

Hello there, I was hoping someone could help me. I'm looking to get a new external/usb wireless card/adapter. The one I have been using for SEVERAL years recently broke on me. The thing is, I have no idea how I'm supposed to pick one out. What am I looking for exactly when I'm purchasing one? I don't want to be that person that assumes the more it costs, the better it is.

This is the one I was using before: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833704045

I want one that is stable/reliable and has good connectivity/speed. I will be stopping by best buy soon, and even wal-mart if I have to. If I recall, the ones they carry are the little netgear ones. I am willing to wait and order something if the ones best buy/wal-mart offer aren't good. Price is not an issue.

Edit: I should probably add I need one that is still good at some distance. I'm not too terribly far away from the router, but yeah, I need a good/strong signal, especially for gaming and streaming and such.
    Buy the ac600. It's the upgrade to what you have. I use it for streaming at 1080p60fps. Never dropped a frame yet.

Edit: You never stated in your OP what type of network you have. That would help.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-05-22 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    All external wifi cards are junk, maybe someone else can help you.
    Wow that's a really cool opinion, dude!
    Why bother if you're not going to read? The post asks for external, there's probably a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Buy the ac600. It's the upgrade to what you have. I use it for streaming at 1080p60fps. Never dropped a frame yet.
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

Wow that's a really cool opinion, dude!
    Why bother if you're not going to read? The post asks for external, there's probably a reason for that.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Good luck in life, you are going to need it with that attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck in life, you are going to need it with that attitude.
    Says the one that was rude first. Hmm.

Says the one that was rude first. Hmm.
    You seem confused, i said external wireless cards are junk (which is a fact). You chose to ignore that advice and misconstrued that as being rude somehow.

Again, good luck to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem confused, all i said is external wireless cards are junk (which is a fact). You chose to ignore that advice and misconstrued that as being rude somehow.

Again, good luck to you.
    It was rude because it was entirely unnecessary. Like I said, I specifically asked for external, which means there is probably a reason for specificity. Your posts are just nonhelpful, as internal is not what I asked for. Good luck to you too, buddy.

You seem confused, i said external wireless cards are junk (which is a fact). You chose to ignore that advice and misconstrued that as being rude somehow.

Again, good luck to you.
    What do you mean by "junk"? I'm curious why you think they all are "junk". What makes an internal card better than an external adapter?

That isn't rude at all, i am not going to suggest a seriously inferior piece of hardware like that. Wifi is a complicated subject and i suggested the best part at the best price.

The way they made it sound is like this is going to be used on a main PC, no way would i ever recommend someone being using an external wifi adapter for that. Most people dont realize the speeds listed on wifi devices mean nothing, you need to look at the fine print and see if they support 2x2 (or higher MIMO). If they dont have this, you will be getting a fraction of the speed of your network connection.