The Obstruction of Justice Case Against the Trump White House Just Got a Lot Stronger

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...b761b07d40d40a

The Washington Post delivered yet another bombshell about the Russia investigation on Monday night, with Adam Entous and Ellen Nakashima reporting that at some point before the May 9 firing of James Comey, senior White House officials “sounded out top intelligence officials about the possibility of intervening directly with Comey to encourage the FBI to drop its probe of Michael Flynn.” One official told the Post that the line of questioning from the White House amounted to, “Can we ask him to shut down the investigation? Are you able to assist in this matter?”
    This is a significant scoop for at least two reasons. First, it adds to what we already know about a possible pattern of justice obstruction aimed at interfering with the FBI’s Russia investigation. Second, it suggests that Trump—who pressured Comey to go easy on Flynn in a private meeting at the White House—wasn’t the only member of his administration who took concrete steps to try and quash the Flynn probe.

What’s strange is that the Post buried this news in the 13th paragraph of its story, choosing instead to focus on something else. To be sure, the “something else” was also hugely important: According to the Post’s sources, Trump asked his director of national intelligence and the head of the National Security Agency to “publicly deny” that his campaign had colluded with the Russian government. But it’s worth remembering how shocking it was, last week, to learn from the New York Times that Trump had encouraged Comey to stop pursuing Flynn. Though it does feel like ancient history at this point, it was unmistakably a turning point in the Russia story, prompting lawmakers to start talking seriously about obstruction of justice and impeachment, and adding pressure on Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to name a special counsel to take over the Russia investigation.

What we now know thanks to the Post is that Trump’s conversation with Comey was just one part of a broader White House campaign to shut down the FBI’s investigation into Flynn—one that also involved members of his administration trying to enlist “top intelligence officials” in the effort.* And while Trump’s attempts to get credible people to publicly vouch for him certainly adds to the case for obstruction, it’s a secondary data point, and one that follows reporting from February about the White House asking the FBI to “knock down” reports of possible wrongdoing by members of the Trump team.

In Monday’s Post story, a former general counsel at the CIA is quoted as saying that Trump’s attempts to involve intelligence officials in the White House’s media campaign against the FBI “echoes” Richard Nixon’s “unsuccessful efforts to use the CIA to shut down the FBI’s investigation of the Watergate break-in on national security grounds.” This is a loaded connection to draw, since those efforts by Nixon—once they were revealed in an audio recording—led to his eventual resignation. It’s a pretty good analogy, and one that seems to support the Post’s decision to put Trump’s clumsy PR maneuvers in the first paragraph of its story. But the behavior described in the 13th paragraph—the White House’s attempt to shut down an investigation, not just convince important people to throw cold water on it—makes for a more direct, and more damning, comparison.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Fake news! Sad! Nothing will come of this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Fake news! Sad! Nothing will come of this.
    You forgot "This Russia conspiracy from a liberal rag is going to be forgotten in a week!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    You forgot "This Russia conspiracy from a liberal rag is going to be forgotten in a week!"
    The GOP will win in 2018 and Trump in 2020, you just wait and see, Libtards.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP will win in 2018 and Trump in 2020, you just wait and see, Libtards.
    The "Real Americans" have decided!
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    The "Real Americans" have decided!
    Damn right, us woke real Americans are winning and there is nothing you can do about it. #MAGAbitch

Do you think Trump has learned not to piss on the intelligence community yet?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Damn right, us woke real Americans are winning and there is nothing you can do about it. #MAGAbitch
    Can we still prosecute Hillary for her criminal emails?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Can we still prosecute Hillary for her criminal emails?
    Fuck yes we can. #lockherup

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Do you think Trump has learned not to piss on the intelligence community yet?
    I literally ROFL'd my coffee all over my desk at work. What the holy fuck was he thinking shitting all over the intelligence communities?

Like how you were guaranteed to win in 2016?

#neversaynevertrump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Like how you were guaranteed to win in 2016?

#neversaynevertrump
    Listen, the Greymane campaign tried. However, I am not 35 and could not legally run.

Listen, the Greymane campaign tried. However, I am not 35 and could not legally run.
    I have to make fun "We will win for sure" after that shit failed miserably.

Seriously. Not even a full half year and we're back to "can't possibly lose" talk that caused this.

10+ Year Old Account

Seriously. Not even a full half year and we're back to "can't possibly lose" talk that caused this.
    Who is we? Why am I included? Did you take my MMO-Champion posts seriously? I needed your support man!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

I think the fact that we can't possibly lose now is because we lost before. Seems 'ol Donald cheated his way into the White House. And we'll lock him up for it. MAGA!
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-05-25 at 03:49 AM. Reason: reversed

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Trump junior will win in 2024, Eric in 2032, Barron in 2040!!!!

infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-05-23 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Trump junior will win in 2024, Eric in 2032, Barron in 2040!!!!
    Barron is the hero we need. He inherited the powers of Kek.

infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-05-23 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since people rather shitpost than discuss, shutting the thread down

Closing