Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

For how much can I sell this system?

Hello all

I a few weeks ago build a custom system. Now, just as I always did since I was old enough to pay for them it is a top of the line. Thing is, after years of being unemployed I now have a job and no time to really utilize it to its potential. I am therefor thinking of selling it, going back to my old system for a few more years (that had a GTX970) and then buy a new one again.. but I have no clue how much I can ask.. I live in Western Europe, not the US but I don't think prices are that much different when converted dollar/euro?

Anyway, the hardware list (and the current store prices over here):

ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA, socket 1151 - €335
    Intel® Core i7-6700K, 4,0 GHz (4,2 GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1151 - €399
    Corsair 32 GB DDR4-2400 Kit - €281
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 - €670
    Corsair Carbide Clear 400C, Tower - €120
    Corsair CX850M, 850 Watt Power Supply - €140
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i Water Cooling - €135
    Samsung 850 Pro, 512 GB SSD - €250

The whole build is achieved with cable management as a priority, there are no cables visible except the water cooler one that goes to the CPU. I can throw in a clean legal Windows 10 installation.

If I count store prices the build currently costs €2330. For that price you only get loose components, not a assembled system. What should my asking/to aim for price be?

Thank you
    Last edited by mmoc1ca4e98b3e; 2017-05-23 at 04:44 PM.

€2331?

I guess it depends on where you sell it and who you sell it too. Pro people won't want a used computer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    €2331?

I guess it depends on where you sell it and who you sell it too. Pro people won't want a used computer.
    I was thinking something along the lines of €2000.

2000. It's used, no matter how gently or for how long, it's still used. The parts are not sealed in their original boxes and you are not an OEM manufacturer, so it's already lost value. You might be able to get 2330, the cost of the parts out of it, but I would think 1800-2000 is probably more realistic.

If it was me, I'd probably list it at 2200 OBO though, just to see if I could get a little more. If someone came along and offered me 2000 though, it'd be gone in a heartbeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say even less than that. Depending on how fast you want to sell. I wouldn't buy a system within 70% of it's retail cost used.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

About 75% out of the original cost even if it's never been used. Lower for every defect the buyer can find.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Also keep in mind that the retail price is useless, since you spent a lot of money on relatively useless parts. An identically performing computer could be had for 300-400 less. The problem with a 'new' used system is there's no choosing parts. You only get what's in the system and if it has more than the person wants, or the price is too high, all they have to do is not buy it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'd say around 1500€, maybe a bit less or more depending on the buyer.

My reasoning:

-It's used, hence nobody will pay full retail.
    -used watercooler usually a no-no
    -CX power supply not really desired
    -VII hero has A LOT of fluff in it's pricing, though someone might desire the board and pay a bit more
    -used 6700k rarely finds a buyer that pays over 250€
    -used 1080s go for around 450€

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I'd say around 1500€, maybe a bit less or more depending on the buyer.

My reasoning:

-It's used, hence nobody will pay full retail.
    -used watercooler usually a no-no
    -CX power supply not really desired
    -VII hero has A LOT of fluff in it's pricing, though someone might desire the board and pay a bit more
    -used 6700k rarely finds a buyer that pays over 250€
    -used 1080s go for around 450€

This, I would list at 1700 OBO if I needed to get rid of it quick, you would be lucky to get 1500, while most of it is desirable, the PSU and motherborad were a waste of money.

If you arent in a hurry, list it for 2000 for a while and see if someone grabs it, you may get lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Earn some rep on a tech forum and sell it there as a full system, or part it out if you're desperate.

It's a better option than Craigslist.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

No way you will make back what you put into it.

The people in this thread are being nice, but honestly you will be lucky to get $900 for it. Not saying it's not worth what you put into it, but you could get a prebuilt system cheaper with a warranty, and no way people will spend top dollar for a used system. People won't pay mediocre cash, you put the rig on Craigslist you're just going to get low balled.

Unless you need cash real bad just keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    2000. It's used, no matter how gently or for how long, it's still used. The parts are not sealed in their original boxes and you are not an OEM manufacturer, so it's already lost value. You might be able to get 2330, the cost of the parts out of it, but I would think 1800-2000 is probably more realistic.

If it was me, I'd probably list it at 2200 OBO though, just to see if I could get a little more. If someone came along and offered me 2000 though, it'd be gone in a heartbeat.
    The reality is w/o being certified to restore, maintain, and refurbish each piece is worth 50% its original value upon opening. That being said, it comes down to whatever you can find someone to pay as most people no offense even the folks that give you advice here, are completely uninformed and would pay way more for trash components than you'd expect. I mean looking at the monthly builds makes me cringe, they are literally bad in every regard, you can get an i7 not an i5 in all of those builds w/o paying more, and in fact I've built better and cheaper by shopping smart, i7-7700k w/ a 1080 and more SSD's than I know what to do w/ costed $1500 brand new.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDsXo View Post
    The reality is w/o being certified to restore, maintain, and refurbish each piece is worth 50% its original value upon opening. That being said, it comes down to whatever you can find someone to pay as most people no offense even the folks that give you advice here, are completely uninformed and would pay way more for trash components than you'd expect. I mean looking at the monthly builds makes me cringe, they are literally bad in every regard, you can get an i7 not an i5 in all of those builds w/o paying more, and in fact I've built better and cheaper by shopping smart, i7-7700k w/ a 1080 and more SSD's than I know what to do w/ costed $1500 brand new.

And your point is?
    Other than saying we are all scrubs and would pay more than what its worth you only reinstate that anyone un-knowledgeable would pay a premium? Nothing you add is helpful other than criticize members of this forum.

$1500 for a i7 with a 1080 and ungodly amounts of ssd's isnt a cost effective build either. I could do it cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.75 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card ($474.42 @ Jet)
    Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1413.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-24 07:55 EDT-0400

with a os from Kinguin Im still under 1500 so your point is we can all build a 1500 i7 rig, and I didnt even try hard.......GG
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-05-24 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDsXo View Post
    50% is a little low for still being so new. Yeah, if it was all 2-3 years old, 50%. It's also assembled, and that has value, so you can add back in a little more. I'd be willing to bet I could sell that system here for 80-90% of the value of the new parts, easily.

As for the rest of your comments, your point? I've been saying for years the BotM are horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be different in your country, but if it was me I'd definitely sell it in parts. I could easily get ~80%, maybe even more, of retail value of the parts if I sold them on the marketplace of a popular tech discussion forum in my country. Selling an entire computer is significantly harder and I'd be lucky to get ~60% of the value.

UK price that cost you just below 2k,

I'd pay about 1300-1400 for it (1600 EU) Reasons why

1- Your Mobo / I7 have dropped roughly 75GBP off the prices you've listed
    2- you card has dropped significantly, it's in the 500 range now.
    3- Watercooling, I'd be ripping that out of the system straight away,
    4- The case is no good to me, I'd be getting rid of that.
    5- Warranty, does it have any on it?

I'd also be taking it to a computer shop I know to let them run it over, so what ever the cost of that was I'd also expect deducted from the total.

Noone going to spend 1500€ on a used PC maybe on a Mac.
    Best way is to sell the parts not the howl PC.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    And your point is?
    Other than saying we are all scrubs and would pay more than what its worth you only reinstate that anyone un-knowledgeable would pay a premium? Nothing you add is helpful other than criticize members of this forum.

$1500 for a i7 with a 1080 and ungodly amounts of ssd's isnt a cost effective build either. I could do it cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.75 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card ($474.42 @ Jet)
    Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1413.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-24 07:55 EDT-0400

with a os from Kinguin Im still under 1500 so your point is we can all build a 1500 i7 rig, and I didnt even try hard.......GG
    Hes from europe so dont compare that to US pricing.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on whether or not you are going to include a full invoice for each individual component and whether that warranty can be honored. I always buy used components and I generally won't push 70% current retail value or higher than what I can get on ebay/kijiji but if the seller provides me with everything I need in the event that I have to create an RMA in a month or a year then I'll be a little more generous on my offer as a courtesy. In the used market regardless of how flawless the item may be, warranty is king.

I mean, it's obvious most if not all of those components are under warranty but it's not always like Wal Mart where you can demand a refund even though you don't have a receipt and expect it to work.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-05-24 at 11:34 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    UK price that cost you just below 2k,

I'd pay about 1300-1400 for it (1600 EU) Reasons why

1- Your Mobo / I7 have dropped roughly 75GBP off the prices you've listed
    2- you card has dropped significantly, it's in the 500 range now.
    3- Watercooling, I'd be ripping that out of the system straight away,
    4- The case is no good to me, I'd be getting rid of that.
    5- Warranty, does it have any on it?

I'd also be taking it to a computer shop I know to let them run it over, so what ever the cost of that was I'd also expect deducted from the total.
    The prices are listed are NOT what I paid for them, I paid like 500 euro more.. these are the prices the store I bought them for is CURRENTLY asking. Also I do have the warrenty paper for the build and everything is still covered.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    The prices are listed are NOT what I paid for them, I paid like 500 euro more.. these are the prices the store I bought them for is CURRENTLY asking. Also I do have the warrenty paper for the build and everything is still covered.
    The warranty will help, but your store is asking way over what online prices are, with the exception of the SSD which is roughly the same.

But yea I still wouldn't pay more than 1400, like others have said regardless of how little time you've had it / used it. It's still 2nd hand out of the box at the end of the day.

My partner just bought a friends used machine, his has a 125gb SSD, 980 card, 16gb ram (can't remember the mobo or case) with AMD eyefinity (triple monitor set up for extended view) she paid a total of 350 for the lot, including a razor mouse, some sort of gaming keyboard and speakers , he paid well over 1000 for it just under two years ago,