Poll: I think the

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    No idea. But I'm mystified that they even charge for applying.

on second thought, I do have an idea: the kid can get a job and spend the salary on applications.
    It helps stop kids who have no chance from applying.... why spend money on something you won't get..... It also helps pay for all the marketing these schools do to attract students.....
    I am not a Republican or a Democrat..... I just hate Trump with a passion. If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put him out.

While i think that, yes, the mother is absolutely obligated to pay for his applications... if Harvard accepts you, and you're still looking for other schools to apply too, you're an idiot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    It helps stop kids who have no chance from applying.... why spend money on something you won't get..... It also helps pay for all the marketing these schools do to attract students.....
    It stops kids who have no money to apply even if they had a chance otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Publish universities also charge for applications.
    Now that's just amusing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now that's just amusing.
    It's almost as if they didn't want poor people to get an education.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Stopping the poor from being disappointed. How very nice of them =D.
    Things cost as much as people are willing to pay. Americans, I guess, are willing to pay for all kinds of stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you suggesting the intelligence is linked to financial stability?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It stops kids who have no money to apply even if they had a chance otherwise.
    Indeed. This is what grants and scholarships are for. To help those who are not so financially capable to have a chance at a great education.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    To clarify, I'm not surprised. Only lightly perplexed.
    Private institutions gonna private institution. It's just that I'm more used to how things run here: public unis being the actually desirable place to learn.
    So, the fact that you need to pay $100 to apply to a college makes the place automatically an undesirable place to learn ? Can't see your logic here, especially because the best universities in the world are private institutions.

But i see what you are trying to do here

Stopping the poor from being disappointed. How very nice of them =D.
    Things cost as much as people are willing to pay. Americans, I guess, are willing to pay for all kinds of stuff.
    Well you can look at it that way, but what I meant was, kids who don't have the grades to qualify..... those kids are more likely to not apply if they have to pay to apply.
    I am not a Republican or a Democrat..... I just hate Trump with a passion. If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put him out.

some information is missing here is the kid 18 yet? Still living at home? but regardless if the kid wants to apply to more schools, go earn the 20-100 and do it. Don't depend on mommy and daddy anymore...

so glad i don't have kids to worry about such petty stuff directly. Though i do get "looks" when i mentioned to my nephews they dont have to go college, and to remember trade skills are a thing as well as the military.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you can look at it that way, but what I meant was, kids who don't have the grades to qualify..... those kids are more likely to not apply if they have to pay to apply.
    Ahhh! That makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Are you suggesting the intelligence is linked to financial stability?
    Nope. I am saying if you don't have the grades, don't waste money on applying. The colleges clearly define what they expect. Google "Common Data Set" for almost any college and you will see what I mean.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If there was a limit to the number of schools she would pay the application for, then she should have mentioned it before so that he could make his picks accordingly. As it stands, she's a selfish piece of trash with emotional issues that require medical attention. Defending overprotective parents with emotional issues "because it's their money" is missing the point in a major way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    So, the fact that you need to pay $100 to apply to a college makes the place automatically an undesirable place to learn ? Can't see your logic here, especially because the best universities in the world are private institutions.
    I recognized that's how private institutions work, and then admitted my perplexity stems from how I'm used to how things run elsewhere.
    And you interpret some desirability or lack of it?. That's some pretty great imagination you have there.

But i see what you are trying to do here
    Showing my slight perplexity. Nothing else, fwiend.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wow, this angle makes it so much more understandable and charitable.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-05-24 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He applied to 8 schools, and I presume at least some were top-shelf ivy-league, since Harvard's in that list. And he was accepted to 7 out of the 8. Pick one of the 7. If there was another school you REALLY wanted to attend, why wasn't it in your Top 8? Why would you pass on 7 out of your top 8 in favor of that other school? Just pick one and be done.

If you were a poor candidate but needed college anyway, it would've made more sense to blanket applications out there, particularly to lower-ranked schools, but this is just pointless self-aggrandizement. The kid's in the wrong, here.

If you want to be angry because your mom limited you to 8 local schools (including Harvard, for fuck's sake), then fine, but don't pretend that you didn't get to apply to enough schools. Be angry that she limited your options based on geography. Not the number.

The mother's reasoning (staying close to home) is a disservice - but at the end of the day it's not the child's money being spent.

They allowed him to apply to 8 separate colleges at a cost of $50 - $100 per application. That's already a cost of $400 to $800 just to see if he is accepted. College is expensive, and attending a college out-of-state can be even more expensive. If their son cannot accept that there are legitimate monetary concerns with the costs associated with going to college, perhaps he should get a job and pay for his own applications.

• In-State Tuition to a typical U.S. college runs almost $10,000 per year.
    • Out-of-State Tuition can be upwards of $25,000 per year.
    • Room and Board can run a student another $10,000 per year.
    • Books can run you about $1,500 per year.

Hell, I almost wonder if "I want my son closer to home" isn't the excuse, and the truth is "Sending my kid to college too far away might just bankrupt me".

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If he wanted to go to school further away, why didn't he apply for this schools first? I side with the mom in this case.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea. But I'm mystified that they even charge for applying.

on second thought, I do have an idea: the kid can get a job and spend the salary on applications.
    It's an issue of administrative costs. The applications need to be reviewed personally, and if you didn't have a cost attached, people would apply to ALL THE SCHOOLS, so you'd get one kid's application processed by 50-100 schools, when they're only going to actually attend one. So it means they have to winnow through thousands more applications, and get TONS more rejections by students who choose to attend elsewhere even when offered a slot, meaning that they're constantly shuffling through their waiting list trying to find anyone who hasn't been accepted.

Adding more applications to the mix just makes that all way more complicated, and there's good reasons to get students to make informed decisions about those college applications. Know where you want to attend, and WHY, and make contact with the staff there you hope to study with, and so forth. You need to realize that college acceptance is about what YOU bring to THEM, not the other way around.

Deleted
    Being the uneducated man that i am.

Why apply for 8 different colleges to begin with? Why not choose one and do your best to get in there, maybe two if you fear being declined on one of them.