Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    People are idiots. What these two women did is completely legal and should be accepted. It's a fucking tortilla, not intellectual property.

Sounds more like the tweeters are racists.
    Sounds more like they're trying to find a copout for why their business didn't succeed.

Restaurants are a failing bet in the best of times, but this one didn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Asian. Latin. Black. White.
    Long ago, the four races lived together in harmony.
    Then, everything changed when the Crybullies attacked.

Re-touched from another thread
    What movie is that from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    This isn't what cultural appropriation is, oh my god. Liberals are fucking idiots once again
    Portland hipsters are their own special breed of stupid, please don't lump all of us together ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Move the taco truck to a city that actually eats tacos and call it day.

Portland can't be fixed. There's one city that needs to be walled off and forgotten.
    Seems this is the only logical conclusion. If the owners are not using this as an excuse then try a new city.
    Then if you fail you know it was really just your shitty tacos and not the PC culture police.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    What movie is that from?
    Dark Crystal I think. Nope Avatar the Last Airbender, sorry.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's silly to begin with. Ingredients, techniques for using them, and even the result of all the effort is not something anyone can own.

Or, I guess we should disallow tomatoes and potatoes outside of the Americas, and if you want your scrambled eggs or omelet cooked perfectly, the French can now stop you.
    Ha ha,

I agree with you. This is just crazy. It's like saying "only white people can drive cars or fly on planes because they invented them." Maybe Eminem and Elvis should pay reparations to the NCAA for using black music.....

It's the dumbest thing ever. It's all hypocrisy.

On one side of their mouth they say how they want no discrimination and they want everyone to celebrate diversity then on the other side they are chasing down white women because they sell burritos.....

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

More likely:

>Our business is failing
    >Hey I have an idea, we have some bad yelp reviews from some screaming tards that nobody takes seriously
    >Hmmm... it just might be worth a shot. Let's drum up some controversy.

5 minute later

>WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT WHITE PEOPLE WOULD OPEN UP A MEXICAN RESTAURANT REEEEEEEEEEEEE
    >Oh no, our poor little business is being trolled to death by people accusing us of cultural appropriation, so many people are doing this instead of just eating a burrito oh my god help us feel bad for us give us attention.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    In all three cases you've injected what I would view as trivial or even remedial considerations seemingly to attribute an unduly rational interpretation of behaviors or positions that would be difficult, if not impossible, to support as a generally applicable explanation of the behaviors or positions based on the available evidence. While in at least one of those circumstances you later clarified that was not your intent, it's how it appeared at the time I responded.
    And the first one, after a remarkable takedown, I simply took to heart and decided to not respond. Or I superficially thought I did, because it's apparent now that I'm on square one.
    Also, that was surprisingly sterile and clinical. I'll take it.

I find this kind of hard to believe, but then again this is Portland.

I'm so sick of hearing about this. good thing I'm in the south where if someone says this crap, we say fuck off and leave at that if anyone trys to do something stupid we call the cops and bye bye weirdos.

The north needs to grow some damn balls.
    what are they going to say about chinese places with mexican cooks and korean waiters, I know they are korean. I speak to them in chinese and they just look at me weird. lol.

Let the woman cook burritos and do not capitulate to this mental illness. I'm sure she has a license to be a vendor, which isn't easy to get in the first place.
    Last edited by omfgreally; 2017-05-26 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    What you just described is intellectual property. Many top chefs and restaurants actually keep their recipes secret. For example, the head chef will mix the sauce in advance in secret before handing it to peons to cook.

Kind of like how every Chipotle cook knows the steps to cook their food, but cannot replicate the flavor which comes pre-made in pouches.
    Copyright doesn't exist across borders for the most part. Generally people will respect it, but this woman visited several and made it her own. As long as she altered it slightly, she doesn't have to worry about the only international copyright which is the Berne treaty/convention. Altering something enough means it's a new creation to almost any copyright and therefore is now your item.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by omfgreally View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing about this. good thing I'm in the south where if someone says this crap, we say fuck off and leave at that if anyone trys to do something stupid we call the cops and bye bye weirdos.

The north needs to grow some damn balls.
    what are they going to say about chinese places with mexican cooks and korean waiters, I know they are korean. I speak to them in chinese and they just look at me weird. lol.

Let the woman cook burritos and do not capitulate to this mental illness. I'm sure she has a license to be a vendor, which isn't easy to get in the first place.
    It only applies if you're white and especially if you're a male.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I find this kind of hard to believe, but then again this is Portland.
    Yeah, think the "this is Portland" part of the story is the most important bit, cause holy damn. Portlandia existed for a reason.

I've checked a bunch of different outlets, including Huffpo for the "liberal interpretation" to see if I could get some more insight, but the story is consistent between all outlets - well, except Brietbart, etc, which was basically "SJW liberal cancer" garbage.

What's the most mind boggling is the seemingly completely blindness to the fact that every restaurant everywhere is developed using techniques learned and adapted from other people and cultures. Like...that's how food is made, people.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    Yeah, think the "this is Portland" part of the story is the most important bit, cause holy damn. Portlandia existed for a reason.

I've checked a bunch of different outlets, including Huffpo for the "liberal interpretation" to see if I could get some more insight, but the story is consistent between all outlets - well, except Brietbart, etc, which was basically "SJW liberal cancer" garbage.

What's the most mind boggling is the seemingly completely blindness to the fact that every restaurant everywhere is developed using techniques learned and adapted from other people and cultures. Like...that's how food is made, people.
    Most cultural appropriation claims appear to ridden with ignorance. It's not cultural appropriation if someone painstakingly tries to recreate something authentic and share it. These people literally just have an issues with the skin colour of the people cooking the burritos.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2017-05-26 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    In fairness, the South is still perpetually crying that people don't really respect their, "Remember that one time we tried to destroy the US and hundreds of thousands of our boys died?" form of "Heritage".

(Seriously, what other nation would have tolerated the "celebration" of that sort of thing for so long in the first place?)
    The same kind that is trying to avoid looking stupid for talking about certain people benefiting from slavery when the entire country benefited from it?

As I've mentioned, everything about the current strain of far-left, social justice advocacy makes far more sense if you stop hunting for internal consistency and just operate on the basis that the activists harbor very strong anti-white animus. This explanation is far more parsimonious than treating them as though they're making intellectually honest, coherent, consistent arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Clearly you did not read the article.

Let me make it simple for you "they wouldn't tell us too much about technique, but we were peeking into the windows of every kitchen"
    Allow me to repeat: Big fucking deal. They watched people make tortillas and figured out the technique. Whoop-de-doo. They didn't steal the pope's hat and take a shit in it.

You're living in a world that no mater what you do, it's "inappropriate". I get this kind of crap on occasion, such as when I was singled out at an organizational meeting for both "succumbing to sjw" and "not doing enough for the culture" , where I organized the food and picked a mix of both Cuban food and American food. They told me originally I can do whatever I wanted, so I just served a wide variety of both so 1) people can eat something, and 2) I can eat my grandmother's cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    We got our first award yesterday from ww ;333
    http://www.wweek.com/restaurants/201...ht-from-japan/
    Way to go! This world needs more good ramen.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I remember when I read about college students crying about cultural appropriation on college campus cafeterias.

The best one was Vietnamese students complain about Vietnamese sandwiches being culturally appropriated from them and messed up by not using small French baguettes.

FRENCH baguettes....
    Yep that's right, the traditional "Vietnamese bakery" which makes those rolls is a fusion cuisine legacy of French colonisation of Vietnam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yep that's right, the traditional "Vietnamese bakery" which makes those rolls is a fusion cuisine legacy of French colonisation of Vietnam.
    Only, the vietnamese make their own baguettes with rice flour, not traditional French baguettes.