Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieve View Post
    I think other teachers and pupils would learn more from discussion and/or apologies. This is a learning environment afterall, for everybody.
    I like that idea.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

If this teacher honestly thought there wouldn't be some sort of backlash over what is a stupid joke done in very poor taste, She really is the stupidest person on the planet, and really the last thing she should be allowed to do is educate anybody.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    If you cant stand the heat in the kitchen from the fire you start perhaps you should think twice before starting those fires. really firing her is the only way this can be handled and i can promise you others ahve been fired for far less bad things done on the job so i really see no reason not to fire the teacher
    Imo,People deserve a second chance if it's not some gross criminal activity. People are being fired and sued left and right for everything, too many relationships are trashed if it's not perfect. Maybe that deserves a hard look because how can we grow as people if we're not willing to learn and listen but just grab and dump.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheCherriesLover View Post
    PC gone mad, it's just a bit of banter.
    To a kid it isn't. It's tasteless and thoughtless.

There's a time, a place and a target for humor. This did all 3 wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieve View Post
    Seconded. Firing is way out of proportion, I´d think an evaluation and (private) talk between teachers and the girl would have been more fitting.

Now it´s Circus Outrage, like so often.
    Agreed. By all means discipline the teacher and have them apologize to the girl and her family, but firing isn't necessary. It will let them all learn from this mess and keep it from happening again.
    "How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes, and one."

the only way i could see this funny would be if the student did something like accidentally blow something up in a chem. lab class. But even then you need to know your target audience and cultural climate for a joke to be seen as a joke.

heck if i recall my senior in HS i was voted most likely to be first man on mars....or shooting people from a bell tower.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The teachers should get a grade of K for keks

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahahahahahahaahah priceless!

Is it a joke? Yes
    Is it a bad one? Oh yes.

Of course there is overreaction, but the teachers could have just used a bit of the gray matter in their heads first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    This isn't criminal law. If your next post is going to be this stupid, don't bother making it.
    We should be held to the same standard. But I shouldn't expect that much from some people. If you want to make yourself feel better by mobbing on someone while disregarding the intent, stupidity is a qualitative trait that would be better applied to your train of thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Raven View Post
    Agreed. By all means discipline the teacher and have them apologize to the girl and her family, but firing isn't necessary. It will let them all learn from this mess and keep it from happening again.
    My thoughts as well.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Texas is so stupid.

I live in Texas.

10+ Year Old Account
    People keep saying its a joke but I gotta ask... what is the joke? I keep reading the article over and over and I find no joke other than... "most likely to be a terrorist" given to this student for.. some reason..

10+ Year Old Account

Protip: I ignored it in favor of outright dismissing the necessity of intent last post, but your own link points out there are exceptions to your claim that are sufficient to falsify your claim. Many crimes, including some felonies, are defined on the basis of lacking intent, but still causing severe harm or the potential for severe harm due to inappropriate and unreasonable behavior. So herp da derp, even if we accept your standard, you're still wrong.

Herpaderp, you ignored the last part of my post, where my comment was that firing is an overreaction but that some consequence should still be applied on the teacher for misconduct.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

It's funny, but def in bad taste. As a parent, teachers (who are authority figures) handing out such an "award" to my child would probably piss me off too.

I mean, students get shafted for much worse due to "zero-tolerance" policies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Torn. On the one hand, some students really need to be sassed back to by teachers in order to calm their shit down. On the other...this seems more than just teacher sass and teacher bullying is a thing. Also, Texas until recently had a habit of passing bad teachers from district to district, hoping the move would fix them but often didnt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the tendencies of schools and authorities to completely overreact to anything that even seems like terrorism or shooting related this was not only in mind bogglingly bad taste but potentially dangerous for that student.

I'm really baffled by the people waving this away as "oh it's just a joke lighten up".

Would you want to be labelled as a potential terrorist in this day and age? Even in jest?

I think there are a whole lot of people here who forgot what high school was like.

10+ Year Old Account
    That didn't exist when I quoted it, so gl with that. Doesn't change that your posts to me were really dumb, and I mean real dumb.
    Several minutes went by between my post and yours. Perhaps spending so much time trying to find a GIF that's backfiring should've not been your priority. Just a thought.
    Google Diversity Memo

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't change the fact that your other posts were ignorant, stupid, and presumptuous, so who cares?
    They weren't since you assumed my opinion was that the teacher shouldn't have any consequence whatsoever. You'd know that wasn't the case if you'd bothered to understand the intent.

Which is ironically the whole point.
    Google Diversity Memo

7+ Year Old Account
    Well...terrorism is something 99.8% of the population takes pretty seriously....buut on the other hand, living in a world of doom and gloom 24/7 isn't really good either...so I kinda get where the teacher is coming from, have to be able to laugh at the hard stuff every now and then, otherwise life becomes unbearable.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm very anti PC so I'm not *offended*, but I don't understand the joke. It would be funny if the kid had an ethnic name, but where is the punchline here? Is she a muslim? Is it some kind of insider joke?
    Also it's stupid that the teachers assumed that this would NOT cause a backlash and outrage. Terrorism jokes in the public are a big no-no now.
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-05-26 at 05:20 PM.