Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    No, because these threads are made by people who have connection to the private servers (admins, mods, guild leaders etc). It's an ad - they want to get more players.

When Nost was 'trending' the pattern would be:

1) Someone with low post count posts a "vanilla is awesome" here
    2) They wait for the argument to start
    3) Then just pop in every 3-4 pages to name drop their favorite vanilla server
    4) Repeat until thread is closed
    5) Wait a week, post a new one.

These are just ads to get people playing. Nothing more.
    But they're booming, why would they need to advertise.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    No. Illegal Vanilla Servers are usually free to play, Retail WoW is not. It is not that hard to discern that Legacy Realms would be a tremendous waste of time, money, and resources.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Deleted
    Dont you think there is a correlation between the staleness that is the current patch and the boredom of nighthold and the increase in players on private servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Staying power on an individual basis, quite obviously. Or are you really trying to spin the narrative that people that played vanilla servers 12 years ago are still playing them 12 years on?
    Unless there is an unending flow of people spawning and beginning WoW (in which case it's still a pretty good indictment that Vanilla was much better than today's retail at attracting players), then it stands to reason that people at the very least regularly come back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    This thread is retarded but this post is more-so.

I thought Vanilla talk had finally died but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    God, will these nostalgic geeks ever shut up about their legacy bullshit idea?
    I'm making a prediction they'll stop when their opponents stop repeating mindlessly "DUR DUR NOSTALGIA DURRRH" and other retarded "arguments" that have been destroyed one hundred times over.
    In other words : not anytime soon

Private servers are forced to be F2P, otherwise they will quickly get sued by Blizzard. Also opening a legacy vanilla servers isn't as costly as people think. There is no new content there, just a team that maintain the server.

Payment method: Active WoW Legion subscription to access Legacy Vanilla servers.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly they feel sorry for those fools still clinging to the official servers and wasting their money. They merely offer a helping hand to those in need, poor souls who don't ever realize they suffer by playing an inferior product.

At least that's what I get from some of the usual posts. It's somewhat mixed with "you deluded blizzard fanboys", but I'm sure it's just a tiny minority. Just like it's a tiny group that plays because it's free.

Well, that claim is not true. I cannot go in details, but online numbers of Vanilla servers are constantly falling.

Deleted

Lel /10char.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    No, because these threads are made by people who have connection to the private servers (admins, mods, guild leaders etc). It's an ad - they want to get more players.

When Nost was 'trending' the pattern would be:

1) Someone with low post count posts a "vanilla is awesome" here
    2) They wait for the argument to start
    3) Then just pop in every 3-4 pages to name drop their favorite vanilla server
    4) Repeat until thread is closed
    5) Wait a week, post a new one.

These are just ads to get people playing. Nothing more.
    If this is the case then threads like these should somehow be insta closed and the OP banned/infracted or whatever..

Deleted
    I like lemon or yoghurt flavour more than vanilla

People like things for free.
    What can you do?

That does not mean Blizzard would gain anything by giving you vanilla servers.

I guess people like 1-2 button dps with no variation. It was fun back in the day, but gets way too mind numbing to return to it.

OP mentioned meaningful grind. Leveling was the only meaningful grind, rep outside of Brood of Nozdormu (Earned from raiding) and Thorium Brotherhood (Resistance grind was just annoying) was pointless. Consumables aren't even needed until Naxx.

Gearing is practically identical to how vanilla was, run the same dungeon X times to get a specific item. But not only that, but it can war/titan forge.

Legion isn't perfect, but artifact level is akin to vanilla leveling. It takes a decent bit of time to the end goal, which is Concordance rank 1. Beyond that its just giving the player additional opportunity to get stronger as more time is invested.

People just need to chill and play at their own pace. No one was forced to rush to level in vanilla super fast (unless in a top tier guild), but people did it. No one in legion is forced to rush artifact level (again unless top tier guild), but people want to do it anyways.

Sigh.

Can't people just play what they like and vaunt it a little less?

I play vanilla private server atm, it's great. Don't think i will ever go to lvl 60 or start raiding (too time-consuming) but i like the feel of exploration and low-level dungeons that are difficult where things like sap, sheep, stun etc. are not only beneficial, but in many cases necessary.
    It's just a slower paced game than retail is, for people who like exploration and teamwork more than they like fast-paced action.

2 different games for 2 different groups of people.

I never played vanilla retail btw, started in Wotlk.

If one likes retail more, be my guest lol.

Worthless discussion anyhow..

Some people may find an older iteration of a game more fun than a newer one. I liked Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty much more than Starcraft 2: Heart of The Swarm. Does that mean i am objectively wrong or clouded by nostalgia? No? Good! ;-)

There really isn't much to this..
    Last edited by Pengekaer; 2017-05-27 at 11:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    If this is the case then threads like these should somehow be insta closed and the OP banned/infracted or whatever..
    As mentioned before.. they normally do, when the mods get around to them. They have lives as well.

Feel free to join Elysium

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-05-27 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    is 500k booming?
    Thats better than some current online games can manage.

Bliz can give as many bollocks tech reasons as to why they don't do this but 500k potential subs to play an old game is a lot of potential money (5 mil monthly or there abouts)
    There's obviously a market there despite some idiots claiming there isn't.

I liked Vanilla WoW.

In 2005. It's 2017 now. Get over it.