Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Salt lake city PD has not killed anyone since 2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b03b485cae1129

More police departments need to start following their example.

To be fair, this revelation only came out after that very notorious case with the killing of Dillian Taylor and heavy public outrage

Maybe because the majority of the population consists of well-behaved Mormon folk. Demographics matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like an odd thing to track. "Hey guys, it's been a whole 2 years since we killed someone!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Snip
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    snip

So they had a dramatic change in said demographics since 2015? If not I fail to see what your point is.

Deleted
    Cops In This City Haven’t Killed Anyone Since 2015. Here’s One Reason Why.
    Freaking heck... Even news are beginning to sound like those horrendous clickbait articles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Seems like an odd thing to track. "Hey guys, it's been a whole 2 years since we killed someone!"
    Well, to be fair they are actually tracking how many get shot. Not how long it's been since they shot someone.

As mentioned in the second post. They had an "incident" and made a change in policy. Results are so far speaking for themselves imo.

It's an odd thing to track if you don't value human lives, I agree.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    It's because it's all white folk

Ummm, are they not supposed to track shootings? This is an odd criticism. "Hey have you guys shot anyone?" Police: *shrug emoji*
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    It's because it's all white folk
    White folk that were being shot before 2015. Again fail to see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    White folk that were being shot before 2015. Again fail to see your point.
    maby people just havnt been acting like fuckheads to the cops. Its not hard top avoid being shot by the police. You just do what your told and there wont be no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    maby people just havnt been acting like fuckheads to the cops. Its not hard top avoid being shot by the police. You just do what your told and there wont be no problem.

So suddenly right after police institute a new policy on how they handle interactions, It's people not being dicks that made the difference?

Except if you have headphones on. Or pull up your pants. Then they can totally execute you in broad daylight

It's Hot Fuzz all over again.

I read an interesting story a few years ago.

About 70 years ago, Iceland gained its independence. At the time of the article, it was just shortly after the police shot and killed a suspect. The first person killed by the police in the entire 70 years of Iceland's existence as an independent country.

It was a day of mourning and introspection, people wondering what could have been done to avoid it.

I know, some people will say "well, Iceland is tiny." Okay, let's ramp it up. They're about 1/1000 the size of America. So in 70 years, 1000 people (proportionately) were shot and killed by the police.

In America, we're five months in, and 385 people have been killed already. If that pace continues, that'll be 900+ for the year.

So, if Iceland was the size of America (1000x bigger than they are), their police would kill about as many people in 70 years as American police do in 1-2 years.

I don't know how we can consider ourselves to be a First World nation, honestly. What metric do we have to show that we deserve the title?

Edit:
    Saw a meme. Since I can't find the blasted picture with caption, I'm paraphrasing.

We hold our police to a low standard. We give them license to be assholes, to escalate confrontations, to act in haste and anger. We excuse their every bad act.

But we hold the public to a high standard. We expect anyone dealing with the cops to take any abuse, to comply with every order (both verbal and telepathic), and to remain calm and not panic when confronted with chaos, shouting, and a gun thrust in their face.
    Last edited by PragmaticGamer; 2017-05-28 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Except if you have headphones on. Or pull up your pants. Then they can totally execute you in broad daylight
    you people dont have a clue what execute means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    I read an interesting story a few years ago.

Edit:

Saw a meme. Since I can't find the blasted picture with caption, I'm paraphrasing.

We hold our police to a low standard. We give them license to be assholes, to escalate confrontations, to act in haste and anger. We excuse their every bad act.

But we hold the public to a high standard. We expect anyone dealing with the cops to take any abuse, to comply with every order (both verbal and telepathic), and to remain calm and not panic when confronted with chaos, shouting, and a gun thrust in their face.
    I mean its the first thing everyone tells people dealing with cops to do. Stay calm, follow all orders, dont make sudden movements, keep your hands where they can see them, say yes sir no sir and your good. Being polite and to the point and not causing any issues can get you out of tickets and have the cops go the extra mile to help you. We dont hold cops to a low standard, people just seem to think they dont have to do what they say and can resist arrest, fight the cops, run from them, ignore their orders and more.

you people dont have a clue what execute means.
    Pointless derailment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Ummm, are they not supposed to track shootings? This is an odd criticism. "Hey have you guys shot anyone?" Police: *shrug emoji*
    Well, "track" was probably the wrong choice here. Of course they'll track it. I guess I meant it's an odd thing to feel good about or announce. Like, all I can imagine is one of those "It's been _ days since an accident" things hung in their office.