Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Except if you have headphones on. Or pull up your pants. Then they can totally execute you in broad daylight
    Wrong

/10

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    I read an interesting story a few years ago.

About 70 years ago, Iceland gained its independence. At the time of the article, it was just shortly after the police shot and killed a suspect. The first person killed by the police in the entire 70 years of Iceland's existence as an independent country.

It was a day of mourning and introspection, people wondering what could have been done to avoid it.

I know, some people will say "well, Iceland is tiny." Okay, let's ramp it up. They're about 1/1000 the size of America. So in 70 years, 1000 people (proportionately) were shot and killed by the police.

In America, we're five months in, and 385 people have been killed already. If that pace continues, that'll be 900+ for the year.

So, if Iceland was the size of America (1000x bigger than they are), their police would kill about as many people in 70 years as American police do in 1-2 years.

I don't know how we can consider ourselves to be a First World nation, honestly. What metric do we have to show that we deserve the title?
    While that's not really how statistics work at all, I understand your point.

Special interests have destroyed all of the advantages this nation once held. Corporate pharmaceutical and prison interests have contributed to gutting our mental health care systems, replacing inpatient mental health institutions (which surely had their own problems) with prescription drugs and imprisonment. Meanwhile, the collective firearms lobby has repeatedly pushed for easier access to lethal weapons.

Crazies with guns is a deadly cocktail.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Pointless derailment.
    no it isnt, you people run around yelling police excuted blah blah meanwhile not knowing what the word means what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Wrong

/10
    Go and read the second post on this thread and research. You'll find that it isn't

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Almost all departments already do de-escalation tactics. That's pretty universally taught at law enforcement academies. So it's not like SLC is doing something new and revolutionary. It's far more likely that they just have been fortunate enough to go a couple years without a situation where lethal force had to be used. It's not like SLC officers are going to let themselves get shot at. My high school best friend is a SGT in the SLC area police force, and if you don't think they'll shoot if their life is threatened I can tell you that's definitely not the case (on or off-duty for that matter).

I read an interesting story a few years ago.

About 70 years ago, Iceland gained its independence. At the time of the article, it was just shortly after the police shot and killed a suspect. The first person killed by the police in the entire 70 years of Iceland's existence as an independent country.

It was a day of mourning and introspection, people wondering what could have been done to avoid it.

I know, some people will say "well, Iceland is tiny." Okay, let's ramp it up. They're about 1/1000 the size of America. So in 70 years, 1000 people (proportionately) were shot and killed by the police.

In America, we're five months in, and 385 people have been killed already. If that pace continues, that'll be 900+ for the year.

So, if Iceland was the size of America (1000x bigger than they are), their police would kill about as many people in 70 years as American police do in 1-2 years.

I don't know how we can consider ourselves to be a First World nation, honestly. What metric do we have to show that we deserve the title?

Edit:

Saw a meme. Since I can't find the blasted picture with caption, I'm paraphrasing.

We hold our police to a low standard. We give them license to be assholes, to escalate confrontations, to act in haste and anger. We excuse their every bad act.

But we hold the public to a high standard. We expect anyone dealing with the cops to take any abuse, to comply with every order (both verbal and telepathic), and to remain calm and not panic when confronted with chaos, shouting, and a gun thrust in their face.
    Perhaps if American police did not have to assume that every crazy person they get called to deal with has a weapon, police confrontations would not be so fraught with tension.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Perhaps if American police did not have to assume that every crazy person they get called to deal with has a weapon, police confrontations would not be so fraught with tension.
    Or we'll have to deal with more dead cops, wich would lead to more cops not wanting to be cops, wich would also lead to not having any cops at all, good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    no it isnt, you people run around yelling police excuted blah blah meanwhile not knowing what the word means what so ever.
    The police's job is to arrest suspected criminals and prepare evidence of their crimes for trial. If a person is to be killed for their crimes its up to a judge and jury following the laws laid down by elected officials.

Their job isn't to kill people. They are literally paid money to take the high road. Otherwise they're just a lawless vigilante gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Or we'll have to deal with more dead cops, wich would lead to more cops not wanting to be cops, wich would also lead to not having any cops at all, good luck with that
    I think you misunderstood my statement. I think police are currently correct in making this assumption. We have a country with a whole lot of guns and a whole lot of crazy people out and about in the general population. If only there were some way to reduce the number of crazies out in the public and also maybe reduce the number of guns getting into the hands of crazy people!
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The police's job is to arrest suspected criminals and prepare evidence of their crimes for trial. If a person is to be killed for their crimes its up to a judge and jury following the laws laid down by elected officials.

Their job isn't to kill people. They are literally paid money to take the high road. Otherwise they're just a lawless vigilante gang.
    the police dont kill people for thier crimes, see you still dont have an idea what your talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b03b485cae1129

More police departments need to start following their example.
    It's weed legalization.

I'm not joking. Without any federal arrests going out, people willing to die for small time drug offenses or giant raids is nothing, and with legalization it completely killed the black market which is now in PA. It is like that for nearly every legalized state, as all forms of crime including but not limited to drug arrests fell after legalization.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Read this a few days ago. http://www.cracked.com/personal-expe...ng-truths.html

And just found this. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b079b2818b8870

And this. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-...b_6373798.html (Garbage men are in more danger on the job than American police...) Their risk of getting murdered (from the article) is 3 per 100k, compared to the 5.6 per 100k for the general population.

Honestly, I don't think it's that the American police are in more danger than their European counterparts because of an overly armed populace. It's that there's higher standards in other countries; higher standards in hiring, higher standards in training, and higher standards in professionalism.

Read this a few days ago. http://www.cracked.com/personal-expe...ng-truths.html

And just found this. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b079b2818b8870

And this. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-...b_6373798.html (Garbage men are in more danger on the job than American police...) Their risk of getting murdered (from the article) is 3 per 100k, compared to the 5.6 per 100k for the general population.

Honestly, I don't think it's that the American police are in more danger than their European counterparts because of an overly armed populace. It's that there's higher standards in other countries; higher standards in hiring, higher standards in training, and higher standards in professionalism.
    Statistics don't matter when you're trying to preserve your own life. The fact is that countries with fewer police shootings overwhelmingly have less access to guns.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    It's because it's all white folk
    That's racist.

Last person the Reno police killed was July 3rd 2016

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    the police dont kill people for thier crimes, see you still dont have an idea what your talking about.
    If they're not putting forth the extra effort to apprehend people with the least amount of violence possible then they may as well be killing people for their crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    If they're not putting forth the extra effort to apprehend people with the least amount of violence possible then they may as well be killing people for their crimes.
    Thats not how it works either.

They shoot someone when that person presents a threat to them, or other people around them. Doing things that are preceived as reaching for weapons or activly attacking other people are some of those things. Maby if people wernt fuckheads this shit wouldnt happen.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That's racist.
    That's pretty much a constant for low crime areas of the US.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    How many people been killed by police? How many people been killed by fellow civilian?
    God damn hippies.

Since 2015 ? Outstanding. I guess it deserve a medal or some kind of special recognition out there.