... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Also some British nouns.

Greenwich
    Leicester
    Worcester

I pronounced them how they were spelled until people corrected me years later and told me they sound nothing like they are spelled. Fuck me right?

God damn British people with their weird words.
    They are also towns in mass.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    They are also towns in mass.
    Founded by Brits who originated from those 3 british towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post

There are two "hard" counters to the hard G:

gym

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Did you pronounce it like Me-lee?
    I do. From a young age I was always into fantasy books, and I'd frequently encounter new words that you don't generally hear in day-to-day conversation. So I'd read melee years before I ever heard it and its too ingrained in my brain. As soon as I say it I know its wrong and I shall receive a dose of mockery, but I still can't catch myself.

The "wh" in what, why, when, etc. is supposed to be pronounced with a whooshing sound, as if you were trying to very lightly blow out candles. 50 years ago, you would be considered low class to use a sharp W. In movies and TV from the 1970s or earlier you can actually notice it.

I would have loved it if the nightborne elves used that W. It would be been perfect.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Memay or me maymay? I do that to piss people off.
    I never corrected myself just because I know it annoys people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    The creators of the format pronounced the word as "jif" with a soft "G" /ˈdʒɪf/ as in "gin". Steve Wilhite says that the intended pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spoofing this brand's television commercials.
    Then the creator is a heretic as well. Burn em at the stake. #hardGforever

So if I hear an English speaker using a (culturally) appropriated Greek word and mangling it as they are prone to do, and I correct it the proper way, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    So if I hear an English speaker using a (culturally) appropriated Greek word and mangling it as they are prone to do, and I correct it the proper way, does that count?
    pfffffft, if it's commonly used in English (as in, in the OED), it should be pronounced the English way when spoken.

I intentionally mispronounce some Spanish words on purpose. Usually with a fake southern accent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Then the creator is a heretic as well. Burn em at the stake. #hardGforever
    I'll pronounce it "jif" as soon as "graphics" is pronounced "jraphics"

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Nev-AH-da.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

No, that would be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    pfffffft, if it's commonly used in English (as in, in the OED), it should be pronounced the English way when spoken.
    How gruesome. No language deserves that sort of mangling.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    How gruesome. No language deserves that sort of mangling.
    English is a mongrel language anyway.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Does stressing the wrong syllable count? If so, I do that with many words, but don't have a specific set of words I always mangle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflower View Post
    I pronounce meme wrong.
    Me me? I think almost everyone did that at one point

For me it would be "tier" (as in armor tier in wow). Always pronounced it as "tire" for some reason.

yes I pronounce GIF as "jiff"

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually have -some- problems with the ''th'' pronounciation, which seems fairly common with swedes from what i've heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    i pronounce Worcestershire sauce as Wor-chester-ton-shire sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's impossible to misspell and mispronounce German words as a German unless you're dyslexic, have a speech impediment/disorder or are simply not a native German. Interestingly enough a lot fellow patriots and "True Germans" do have difficulties with that which is resulting in hilariously misspelt slogans sprayed on walls, sometimes even with missing or awkwardly written letters because they didn't know how to write that specific one. Such is the fate of School of Life academics. Which always reminds me on this.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

15+ Year Old Account
    "melee" and "butcher"
    pronouncing it the right way is exhausting and hearing it in voice chat the wrong way for years doesn't help (not a native speaker)
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-06-02 at 10:28 AM.