Thread: Varimathras

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Varimathras

So,
    Muffinus tweeted a response to a question about Varimithras as seen here https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/870660828315262978

So now this makes me wonder a dreadlord who was really well written in the early expacs what are their plans with him as this tweet is rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    So,
    Muffinus tweeted a response to a question about Varimithras as seen here https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/870660828315262978

So now this makes me wonder a dreadlord who was really well written in the early expacs what are their plans with him as this tweet is rather interesting.
    I'm kind of glad they didn't bring him in to just be yet another prominent Burning Legion threat that terrorized Azeroth for years in WC3 only to be swatted aside like a fly in Legion. That's lame how easy and not-epic our fights with Legion baddies seem to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have preferred Varimathras to be the Nighthold boss as opposed to Tichondrius. In either case, the dreadlord should have been much more prominent in the Suramar storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    I'm kind of glad they didn't bring him in to just be yet another prominent Burning Legion threat that terrorized Azeroth for years in WC3 only to be swatted aside like a fly in Legion. That's lame how easy and not-epic our fights with Legion baddies seem to be.
    That's because the focus went from Heroes, like Thrall and Malfurion, to the players. The players are the Heroes of Azeroth now, if this wasn't evident in Legion, I don't know what would be.

That means even the baddies are going to be weak. Only the top brass of the Burning Legion are going to prove a challenge to the players. It makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    That's because the focus went from Heroes, like Thrall and Malfurion, to the players. The players are the Heroes of Azeroth now, if this wasn't evident in Legion, I don't know what would be.

That means even the baddies are going to be weak. Only the top brass of the Burning Legion are going to prove a challenge to the players. It makes sense.

And there are millions of us, so the Legion really doesn't stand a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Why Varimathras in particular?

I mean he fucked up like every dreadlord before and after him, with the difference that he actually did something by inciting a war between Alliance and Horde during Wotlk, which in turn led to Garrosh's ascension.

In the greater picture, Varimathras made the Legion expansion possible, major stretch, though.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2017-06-02 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post

I mean he fucked up like every dreadlord before and after him, with the difference that he actually did something by inciting a war between Alliance and Horde during Wotlk, which in turn led to Garrosh's ascension.

In the greater picture, Varimathras made the Legion expansion possible, major stretch, though.
    Because he is a perfect example of a traitor ( see WC3 and Varimithras and Sylvannas taking out Detheroc and Balannazar ) as well as he was really well written he was a dreadlord with an ulterior motive as seen during the battle for the undercity excerpt from wow wiki "During the battle, Varimathras makes reference to "years of planning" (attempting to undermine Sylvanas) and the voice of an unseen "Master" is heard berating Varimathras for his failure to prevent the Horde party from reaching the throne room, after which point Varimathras enters the fray himself – where he is defeated"

he isn't dead he is defeated but doesn't "die" during the battle for the undercity and he still wants to kill Sylvannas his story isn't finished.

''Sargeras isn't to happy with him''

So that probably means that the unknown voice during the Battle of the Undercity was indeed that from Sargeras, his name was also in the sound file. I wonder what they have in store for Varimathras, he should be hated by all his brethen for acting like such a coward and betraying his brothers. Perhaps Sargeras punishes him like Kil'jaeden punished the pit lord in Tomb of Sargeras.

Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    he isn't dead he is defeated but doesn't "die" during the battle for the undercity and he still wants to kill Sylvannas his story isn't finished.
    The question was more like "Why is Sargeras mad at Varimathras in particular?" There are other Dreadlords that have fucked up as well and did return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

The other Dreadlords failed while serving Kil'jaeden, who is known for sparing lackeys as long as he still sees value in them. Failing a direct command from Sargeras? That's probably not going to end well for anyone not extremely highly-placed in the Legion hierarchy. Personally I expect to see Varimathras on Argus, though - although in what context remains to be seen.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Maybe he sneeks in and gets the drop on Sylvannas....wait...is Genn really Varimathras?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Lets face it, he will either be killed during heart-throbbing 3rd part of class order campaign or maybe target of daily quest.

all dreadlords are mere minions of archi and kj

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    ''Sargeras isn't to happy with him''

So that probably means that the unknown voice during the Battle of the Undercity was indeed that from Sargeras, his name was also in the sound file. I wonder what they have in store for Varimathras, he should be hated by all his brethen for acting like such a coward and betraying his brothers. Perhaps Sargeras punishes him like Kil'jaeden punished the pit lord in Tomb of Sargeras.
    It is. The soundfile is labeled as Sargeras and its the same voice actor.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Dreadlords served the void before Sargeras made them join the Legion. So perhaps Varimathras went back to his old masters after he failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    It is. The soundfile is labeled as Sargeras and its the same voice actor.
    There was very likely the intention of it being Sargeras' voice at some point during the creation process. But it was never confirmed as being his voice lore-wise. File names are not canon. The most visible example of this is Blizzard's mix-up with Gorehowl in the SoO cinematic. There are multiple in-game axe models with file names "Gorehowl..." the person coding the cinematic picked the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The other Dreadlords failed while serving Kil'jaeden, who is known for sparing lackeys as long as he still sees value in them. Failing a direct command from Sargeras? That's probably not going to end well for anyone not extremely highly-placed in the Legion hierarchy. Personally I expect to see Varimathras on Argus, though - although in what context remains to be seen.
    But that leaves the question: Why did Sargeras leave planning the invasion of legion almost everytime to KJ / Archi?

Third War? KJ / Archi
    BC? KJ
    Legion? KJ

All the while Sargeras had it's own little scheme with Varimathras? That just seems very odd.

Aside from that, both Kil'jaeden and Archimonde fucked up their own respective Invasions, Archimonde got obliterated at Mount Hyjal and still got ressurected, and unlike Varimathras, Archimonde just lost because of his ego.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    But that leaves the question: Why did Sargeras leave planning the invasion of legion almost everytime to KJ / Archi?

Third War? KJ / Archi
    BC? KJ
    Legion? KJ

All the while Sargeras had it's own little scheme with Varimathras? That just seems very odd.

Aside from that, both Kil'jaeden and Archimonde fucked up their own respective Invasions, Archimonde got obliterated at Mount Hyjal and still got ressurected, and unlike Varimathras, Archimonde just lost because of his ego.
    It's extremely difficult for Sargeras to travel to Azeroth due to the distance and the strength of the portal required to bring him across the Nether. Kil'jaeden and Archimonde have it comparatively easier in that regard, able to be summoned by powerful implements (e.g. the Book of Medivh) or by lesser means like the Sunwell. In the case of Varimathras it was probably just a case of using an available asset already on Azeroth, and positioned in a place of power where the summoning process could be defended until a sufficient time elapsed to create a suitable portal. Sargeras likely dislikes having to work via proxies as opposed to doing things directly, but the circumstances seem to require it and his tools have proven themselves quite unreliable (at least insofar as Azeroth is concerned).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    It's extremely difficult for Sargeras to travel to Azeroth due to the distance and the strength of the portal required to bring him across the Nether. Kil'jaeden and Archimonde have it comparatively easier in that regard, able to be summoned by powerful implements (e.g. the Book of Medivh) or by lesser means like the Sunwell. In the case of Varimathras it was probably just a case of using an available asset already on Azeroth, and positioned in a place of power where the summoning process could be defended until a sufficient time elapsed to create a suitable portal. Sargeras likely dislikes having to work via proxies as opposed to doing things directly, but the circumstances seem to require it and his tools have proven themselves quite unreliable (at least insofar as Azeroth is concerned).
    That does not really address my point.

Both Kil'jaeden and Archimonde led an invasion before and after Varimathras started his rebellion, both of them failed each time, yet they were never punished in any regard.

Now suddenly Sargeras comes in, just ignores KJ and Archimonde in the chain of command, and tries his own attempt at an invasion via Varimathras, who fails and apparently was punished by Sargeras for his failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    That does not really address my point.

Both Kil'jaeden and Archimonde led an invasion before and after Varimathras started his rebellion, both of them failed each time, yet they were never punished in any regard.

Now suddenly Sargeras comes in, just ignores KJ and Archimonde in the chain of command, and tries his own attempt at an invasion via Varimathras, who fails and apparently was punished by Sargeras for his failure.
    Kil'jaeden and Archimonde were following the Legion's basic doctrine of invading, corrupting, and destroying any and all worlds they came upon - they were following Sargeras' orders but not in the direct sense (and not apparently overseen by Sargeras directly as he was in the cooler, to so speak). The War of the Ancients would count as a failure on Sargeras' part just as much it would Kil'jaeden and Archimonde as he involved himself directly and was stopped. Subsequent invasions weren't overseen by him.

The case with Varimathras is a bit more nebulous, but obviously Varimathras was *directly* acting on Sargeras' commands and failed to come through in whatever it was he had been told to do (considering Sargeras personally scolded him for his failure).