Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    But at least NIN still looks great and is just more Ninja than 'generic mmo rogue' than ever so i'm happy.
    I'm weird in that I hate the mudra system, it just feels like pointless button-whacking to me. But I loved the ROG story and lore and HATE HATE HATE the NIN story and lore in the game, so...

Personally I'm considering going from SMN to BRD for SB, but we'll see. I'll end up playing everything to some degree regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I love playing AST, it's really fun. The Draw mechanic just adds that little bit of extra something to think about that makes the otherwise sometimes boring world of healing more interesting. I just liked the aesthetic honestly. It plays similarly enough to WHM in just base healing to make a switch incredibly easy.

As far as the SMN changes go, I'm super excited about them. The Job Gauge is really nice looking and easy to read and we get to summon Bahamut now...so yeah. I'll have to wait to get my hands on it to really make a decision, but the changes don't really change the core of what made me like SMN. Some numbers tuning is due to happen on a big patch like this so I'm not worried about that. Main thing for me is fun factor and Summoner looks to have that in spades, IMO.
    Hm. So you're not worried about the seemingly large nerf to our AoE capabilities? Well, I suppose in that regard you and I are the same because I don't give up a class I enjoy regardless of how the developers change it (been playing Warlock/Mage since vanilla).

- - - Updated - - -

I started in 2.0 when ARR hit with BLM because who doesnt want to be vivi or a black waltz right? then what you get is a really shitty version of cataclysms balance druid. burn red, go blue, fill bar, go red, burn red, repeat. I adored RDM in FFXI as i was RDM sub NIN (in XI unlike XIV you could sub a second job to get some of its abilities and red amge and ninja hybrid made a fun kind of tanky build) i really want to love RDM but i see "ver aero, ver thunder. build into holy or flare, repeat" and worry its just going to be BLM's replacement in raiding and otherwise feel exactly the same.

Part of why i like NIN is because it does magic different. Relying on basic 'press button to cast, hope for a proc' wizard stuff it feels less like a FF mage and more like a WoW style wizard build and in my 8 years of playing WoW mage was the only class i hated. I want the fencing dandy gentleman magic swordsman and while it will probably change a lot post launch when they see what does and doesnt work right now i just worry its going to be another BLM style bore for me.

But at least NIN still looks great and is just more Ninja than 'generic mmo rogue' than ever so i'm happy.
    That's understandable and I personally don't understand the reasoning behind some of their design choices. There isn't a lot to the game that makes it feel like Final Fantasy and the worst of that are the classes/Jobs. Unfortunately I don't see them going through all the trouble of redesigning everything to get that back so I try to enjoy what there is. Which actually isn't too difficult when Black Mages can still do things like this. Well, the videos I've seen seemed to show a class that flowed rather smoothly and built up in a way akin to Demonology prior to its Legion redesign. If that ends up being the case there's no way I won't play it because I actually enjoyed that style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    I'll stick with Dragoon, the new stance switch/stacking system looks fun.
    Wanted to switch to BLM and probably will at least try it out at some point in the expansion... depending on how the Fire4 spam turns out to be.
    Huge numbers etc.

After that.. or before that, I'll try out Bard.

However, if Dragoon is interesting and gets some AoE love, I'll main that.
    I guess Dragoons are the Hunters of this game because they seem awfully popular and there was that brief period of what I'm told is known as "loldrg". The Job Actions video made them look incredible to play but now that I think about it, I don't think there was anything in there that didn't seem like it would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    Hm. So you're not worried about the seemingly large nerf to our AoE capabilities? Well, I suppose in that regard you and I are the same because I don't give up a class I enjoy regardless of how the developers change it (been playing Warlock/Mage since vanilla).
    I've only seen people discuss the Bane nerf specifically in a vacuum, without really taking into consideration any buffs or new synergies that are coming about with our new skills so it's difficult for me to have a solid opinion one way or the other when I have absolutely no idea if that specific change will have a huge impact on our overall performance.

It's an involuntary thing for me, but I can't/ don't worry about shit I have zero control over or have zero data (usually need objective evidence, but in some cases subjective opinion or experience is fine) to confirm one way or the other. I'm going to wait and see.

Sheesh, reading this, you guys have me hyped for Ninja. I feel like leveling that job now.

One thing I've always liked about FF is many archetypes are a shade different from western ones. Ninja indeed is not just an agile stabber. Ever since FFI, black magic has been as much a part of their class as stabbing, if not more.

I will be swimming against the tide of Samurai and maining Red Mage.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    Sheesh, reading this, you guys have me hyped for Ninja. I feel like leveling that job now.

One thing I've always liked about FF is many archetypes are a shade different from western ones. Ninja indeed is not just an agile stabber. Ever since FFI, black magic has been as much a part of their class as stabbing, if not more.

I will be swimming against the tide of Samurai and maining Red Mage.
    Nowadays a lot of folks hear Ninja and think Naruto but i always think of stuff like Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden. A magic using assassin thats more of a trickster than a glass canon. Its not quite like Shadow in FFVI but close enough.

Swapping monk to samurai. Monk was getting stale and I've been waiting for a 2h sword dps.

Nowadays a lot of folks hear Ninja and think Naruto but i always think of stuff like Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden. A magic using assassin thats more of a trickster than a glass canon. Its not quite like Shadow in FFVI but close enough.
    Shinobi 3 my fav sega game ever. When I was a kid my mom hand sewed my a shinobi 3 costume directly from the box art. It was the sickest halloween costume ever.

God I love that game, I'm going to go play it today.

Staying the course as a monk, first alt will be RDM i think, second smn, third drk or pld.

As for why Alting? I'm an rp'er and I like for my charactres to have nifty glamours :>
    Last edited by The Offbeat; 2017-06-02 at 06:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once a Warrior, always a Warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

The first ninja I was introduced to was Leonardo.

I think Ninja Gaiden and Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes along with TMNT myself. Just for fun, when I first got the dye'able AF armor on Ninja, I dyed everything the appropriate color blue and used Raptorskin gloves dyed red to emulate NES era Ryu Hayabusa's look.

Naruto. Pfeh! What ninja wears bright orange?! XD

The NIN of FF14 seems to pull a huge amount of influence from FF4's Edge. He had ninjitsu abilities very akin to what we see in FF14 (although his Raiton, for lack of better term, hit all enemy targets).

The Shinobi and NG games helped to establish a mystique about ninja among friends of mine and people in around the 25-35 age bracket. Even though those NG games were freaking brutal difficulty wise (coming from the likes of Mario and the Mega Man series), they were still fun as all hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    The first ninja I was introduced to was Leonardo.

I think Ninja Gaiden and Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes along with TMNT myself. Just for fun, when I first got the dye'able AF armor on Ninja, I dyed everything the appropriate color blue and used Raptorskin gloves dyed red to emulate NES era Ryu Hayabusa's look.

Naruto. Pfeh! What ninja wears bright orange?! XD
    Heck, I totally left out Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, despite having grown up with the cartoon show and assorted action figures. Same goes for TMNT, of course.

I'm buckling down and going to go Red Mage.

My favorite thing to do in MMORPG's is raiding, so I know it'll probably be a bit of an uphill battle finding a static to run with (due to lots of people playing the class + already established statics, etc.), but hell...maybe I can stick it out for a job/class that I find exciting.

Deleted
    I just have a problem to choose which character to main already. Came back to the game after like 1½-2 years and have a DRK at 60 but no ty.

Had a BLM at 57 which I lvled fast to 60 and its fun when you actually get to cast big hits but there is so much movement especially if you get unlucky with RNG and get targeted by a boss and have to move all the time, NOT fun.

Thinking about MCH or BRD, but MCH looks more fun to me but everyone say it has bad DPS and I dont really know if they bring anything useful so you would want one.

Also have a MNK at 50, how are NIN? Are NIN very similar to MNK? Im pretty sure I dont wanna play BLM atleast because I dont like when you have to move a lot and cant do dps really, feels like a useless dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Thinking about MCH or BRD, but MCH looks more fun to me but everyone say it has bad DPS and I dont really know if they bring anything useful so you would want one.
    If you prefer to stay at range, they're both strong. Their DPS isn't bad, but it's not as good as others. MCH and BRD are both support roles and in an organized group you'll be expected to provide that. Right now they both 'cast' their attacks at high level too, but that's going away with 4.0.

15+ Year Old Account
    I started in 2.0 when ARR hit with BLM because who doesnt want to be vivi or a black waltz right? then what you get is a really shitty version of cataclysms balance druid. burn red, go blue, fill bar, go red, burn red, repeat. I adored RDM in FFXI as i was RDM sub NIN (in XI unlike XIV you could sub a second job to get some of its abilities and red amge and ninja hybrid made a fun kind of tanky build) i really want to love RDM but i see "ver aero, ver thunder. build into holy or flare, repeat" and worry its just going to be BLM's replacement in raiding and otherwise feel exactly the same.

Part of why i like NIN is because it does magic different. Relying on basic 'press button to cast, hope for a proc' wizard stuff it feels less like a FF mage and more like a WoW style wizard build and in my 8 years of playing WoW mage was the only class i hated. I want the fencing dandy gentleman magic swordsman and while it will probably change a lot post launch when they see what does and doesnt work right now i just worry its going to be another BLM style bore for me.

I'd actually relate BLM closer to Arcane Mage than Boomkin. Only much faster and more compact (burn and regen cycles going for 20sec instead of... what was the cooldown on Evocation? Two minutes?

Anyway, I'd like for BLM to have a greater focus on its procs like pre-60. Firestarter and Thundercloud should be impactful buttons you wanna press right away, rather than once you get to the end of an Enochian sequence.

I'm tossing up between BLM and MCH. Will probably run BLM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Is there any info on BLM 4.0 thundercloud proc and the new aoe thunder? The rumours say that it works, but this would be way too strong tbh. Getting procs from aoe thunder would be fine I guess, but using the proc to dish out a 710 potency instant aoe every few seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post

BM Hunter - Machinist (Physical + Semi-pet + Guns)
    Nope, MCH is closer to old SV

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Do take note about what the above poster said about Bard and Machinist being support DPS - it's pretty central. You are brought along for the buffs, debuffs and utility you bring to the rest of the group, and are balanced to not do as much damage as the pure DPS jobs. It's still pretty fun - Machinist especially, but that's just my own preference - but just keep that in mind.
    They are clearly pushing them away from support DPS to full DPS with utilities they once had because unified role skills. No more DPS sacrifice for song and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    I've played FFXIV on and off for a while now. Just got to Heavensward after the long msq grind. There's so many cool jobs it's hard to decide what I want to main - a good problem to have, I guess. Was playing a WAR throughout the msq, but DRK seems cooler now that I've tried it. I enjoy healers as well and all three seem to be pretty fun. I was actually thinking of going WHM after seeing their new armor and stone animation in Stormblood, but it looks like they're going to be in pretty bad shape out of the gate - so maybe I'll focus on SCH instead since their DPS seems to be more solid/fun to do anyway. RDM looks really fun and will probably be the first dps class I focus on.
    Play what feels and/or looks better to you, don't worry about some idea of what is considered the best for the 90+ percentile types. If you have a good FC, it won't matter anyway, as in any MMO. You don't have to have the fotm meta to down content, just as you don't need the fastest car to get around a race track. Sometimes going with what you like is much more important than just coming in first, and doing it in a way and form you enjoy is far better than just going for what is considered the 'best' option. Do what is better for the longevity of your enjoyment, and do your best with what you enjoy.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    Nope, MCH is closer to old SV
    Why do you do this...

Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    They are clearly pushing them away from support DPS to full DPS with utilities they once had because unified role skills. No more DPS sacrifice for song and etc.
    Not quite. Utility is something they'll still be expected to provide, it's just being woven into their mechanics more. BRD songs give party-wide crit buffs as well as other benefits, AND will be changing how crit procs off their DoTs work, depending which song is active. The only utility that's being shared between BRD and MCH is the Swiftsong ability, whatever they renamed it to.