Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Oh? I had no idea gay people were doing that.....who are they being intolerant to?
    Try to tell one "I don't like you cause you're gay" and see what happens and how many names you're being called. If someone would tell me "I don't like you cause you're [insert any reason]" my response would be "good for you and have a nice day". This attitude will only make the people hating gays be more hateful

Man, what ever happened to that argument of "let the designers make the game they want"? Seems to be a one way street.
    Nobody is preventing them to do that. But no one can stop the players to complain either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Valentine's Day events in most games and straight people are all fine and dandy. Add an extra day or even make a slight hint at acceptance of gay people and everyone loses their collective minds and suddenly it's political .

Double standards, twice as good as regular standards.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Try to tell one "I don't like you cause you're gay" and see what happens and how many names you're being called. If someone would tell me "I don't like you cause you're [insert any reason]" my response would be "good for you and have a nice day". This attitude will only make the people hating gays be more hateful

Nobody is preventing them to do that. But no one can stop the players to complain either.
    Well, I dont like you for "trait that you cannot control". You are allowed to think I am an asshole. Nobody is preventing you from doing that turns out if you act like a dick, people dont like it.

How about I yell at your mom and call her many terrible names. Would people overhearing it not think I am an asshole? Is it not normal for someone to refer to me as an asshole if I act like one? I swear this logic these days makes no sense.

Act like a dick, get called out for it. Not sure why people think this is new or something weird. If I was to start yelling at a random old woman on the street for being slow and blocking my way, people would think I am an asshole.

Randomly walking up to a random gay couple and going "I HATE YOU! I HATE WHAT YOU ARE, GOD HATES YOU!" maybe people around me will think I am kinda a dick?
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-06-07 at 04:58 AM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape if you want to get deeper into this.

I must warn you....the memes are fucking hilarious.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2017-06-07 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well, I dont like you do to "trait that you cannot control" you are allowed to think I am an asshole. Nobody is preventing you from doing that turns out if you act like a dick, people dont like it.

How about I yell at your mom and call her many terrible names. Would people overhearing it not think I am an asshole? Is it not normal for someone to refer to me as an asshole if I act like one? I swear this logic these days makes no sense.

Act like a dick, get called out for it. Not sure why people think this is new or something weird. If I was to start yelling at a random old woman on the street for being slow and blocking my way, people would think I am an asshole.

Randomly walking up to a random gay couple and going "I HATE YOU! I HATE WHAT YOU ARE, GOD HATES YOU!" maybe people around me will think I am kinda a dick?
    Striking back at a dick as a bigger dick will never make the initial dick any better. A baseball bat will not educate anyone, that's why you're not allowed to beat children anymore or even yell at them, child protection will come and explain to you that you're a fucking idiot and if you continue you will lose the children. You need to use more intelligent means to counter the "dicks" than yelling back "you fucking dick, fuck you motherfucker"

But you for some reason assume that someone that doesn't like gay people are assholes or dicks, which is not true at all. It's absolutely normal to not like everyone on the planet, especially if you don't agree with their way of life. Some people don't like marijuana smokers, some people don't like people wearing a ski mask "for religious purposes" and so on and so on. Do you think you can force everyone to agree with everybody and be nice to everybody? Good luck with that..

For some people seeing two persons of the same gender kissing or even holding hands is making them (very) uncomfortable. You'll never change that by "calling them out as dicks", because their feelings are as genuine as the gay attraction. If you don't call a gay "a dick" because he feels attracted to someone of their own gender, you can't do that with someone that thinks that's disgusting. You need to understand both sides...

Ok after reading through r/2007scape, this is like the most amazing thing ever. Couldn't stop laughing for 30 minutes. It's just spectacular to watch this meltdown.

Really nothing against the LGBT+ community, but those kind of politically loaded views has no place as an event in any game.

WoW community would act exactly the same if it happened in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Really nothing against the LGBT+ community, but those kind of politically loaded views has no place as an event in any game.

The difference being they would get banned in WoW for saying half the shit people said in RS. And what a glorious day that would be, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    This plagues our generation, 90% graphics 10% re-hashed copied gameplay from other games.
    Can the bolded part really be said about Runescape?

10+ Year Old Account
    so what happened was they ended up creating an event where people (children) were intently focused on hating gay people. hope there weren't any gay kids playing trying to enjoy the event because they probably felt pretty uncomfortable.

this reminds me of that episode of the office where michael scott is trying to celebrate his employee's gayness but ends up offending everyone in the room. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Valentine's Day events in most games and straight people are all fine and dandy. Add an extra day or even make a slight hint at acceptance of gay people and everyone loses their collective minds and suddenly it's political .

Double standards, twice as good as regular standards.
    Because valentines is not for gay people? What? That argument makes literally 0 sense. At least try to be slightly logical in your reasoning

Understandable.. I wouldn't want any kind of 'pride event' in my game, be it black pride, gay pride, white pride or even meme pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    People on either side of the political spectrum are no more or less sophisticated, rational, or logical than their ideological counterparts.

I would ignore them just like I ignore most events anyhow. The only way such an event would impact my game would possibly be increased latency due to the crowd.

All the gays out there - feel free to go ahead.

old school runescape's probably filled with older dudes.

older people are shit when it comes to this stuff. it's not a surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

from what i understand, it wasn't an official event. it was simply a little thing the person alone was doing, not like a real yearly event like on the calendar in wow.

these people's behavior is inexcusable, and they should all get banned.

Old school runescape is mainly populated by "bro dudes" and well ruenscape has always and forever will be a toxic place to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair thing to note that those in-game messages are the worst of the worst of OSRS just like how you have people in WoW being disgusting human beings. The people on the subreddit are mostly being constructive with their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    The difference being they would get banned in WoW for saying half the shit people said in RS. And what a glorious day that would be, too.
    Don't worry, those people are getting banned. There are in-game player moderators who have the power to mute people for an hour. People who are muted by player moderators also get priority reported to the jagex moderators (game mods).

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    from what i understand, it wasn't an official event. it was simply a little thing the person alone was doing, not like a real yearly event like on the calendar in wow.

these people's behavior is inexcusable, and they should all get banned.
    It is an official event. A developer of the game announced it and put however little time into developing it. As for celebrating gay pride yearly, I'm not sure if that's their plan or not.

The controversy around this stems from a few things:

* People consider it a political statement. Gay pride was never celebrated and now that since 3 months there's a homosexual developer on the team, it's being celebrated. The developer also did this in his own free time, which makes it seem like he's trying to push his own personal agenda into the game.
    * The game's content is primarily brought into the game through the use of polling. Jagex puts up a poll and whatever gets 75% of the community's Yes vote gets added into the game. This event wasn't polled and so have a few previous balance updates which for some people means they're feeling like they're losing control over the game's updates.
    * People think the event is too focused on just one group of people. They'd rather there be a Peace, Unity, and Love event that focuses on everyone, rather than LGBTQ "pride".
    * People simply don't want an event like this that focuses on controversial IRL problems in their game. The game also has no history with LGBTQ so referring back to the first point, it feels very odd and out of place.
    * People are afraid this is going to open a can of worms with Jagex suddenly celebrating all kinds of pride events.

The controversy could've been avoided by either polling the event or by simply hosting an unofficial community event and by not calling it a holiday event.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2017-06-07 at 07:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by imunreal View Post
    Why even have it? I just do t understand it. Where is straight pride?
    Straight pride doesn't exist because straight people aren't an oppressed minority.

It's people like you that come out of the woodwork every time there's a bar or a movie theater doing a "ladies night" screaming about how that's sexist.

Not it isn't, because women have been oppressed for hundreds, if not, thousands of years.

Of course then talk like that draws out menninists, aka anti-sjw backwoods forum trolls from the depths of /r/thedonald.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

As someone who actually plays OSRS, main issue a lot of us had with this "event" was that it was not announced, and it circumvented the polling system. Likewise, it seemed 100% like a "personal agenda" push from the mod that announced it, because surprise surprise, he just so happens to be one of the newest members of the teams AND gay.

All in all what it looked like to an outsider was the new mod overstepping boundaries that has been set up over the past 3 years, building it up to a playerbase that matches (if not outmatches) the main-branch of the game, all in order to push his personal agenda. THAT'S what got people upset. There's no way this would happen in WoW, because in WoW, we are not in control of the content. They want to add mini holidays? They do so, we go "neat". Doesn't matter what the topic is, because there's little to nothing we can do to influence it. OSRS players are used to having the choice of even the most miniscule things (to give an idea, things like "Should an NPC stand still instead of roam 8-12 squares because he keeps going behind a wall and people can't see him easily" has been polled and approved by the community as a whole. It's THAT nitty-gritty).

The way to normalise stuff isn't to bring insane levels of attention to the fact that its normal. Thats like trying to deal with a shy person by getting on a megaphone and telling everyone in the street that the person you're standing next to is "REALLY SHY! So don't talk to them or they'll get embarassed!"

The way to normalise stuff is to treat it the same as you treat straight people - you just don't think about it. You think about it as often as you think about what your neighbour had for dinner 3 nights ago.

And also yes, the whole "don't bring politics to games" is another reason not to do this.

Lastly this is the runescape community for christs sake - the community that told people to kill themselves so often they just made it an acronym "KYS"

How retarded.

Shit like this doesn't belong in video games. Period.

Leave this shit to Reddit and 4chan and let games be games.