Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

New Ontario law allows govt to take children if parents oppose their ‘gender identity

Legislation passed by the Canadian province of Ontario has granted authorities the right to take children away from parents who refuse to accept their children’s “gender identity.” Critics of the new measure launched a petition aiming for a repeal of the “totalitarian” child abuse bill.
    Out of Ontario’s 86 legislators, 63 voted in favor of Bill 89 or “The Supporting Children, Youth and Families Act of 2017” on June 1.

The legislation replaces the Child and Family Services Act which used to govern child protection, foster care and adoption services in the province.

The new law includes “gender identity” and “gender expression” as factors to be considered by child protection services “in the best interests of the child.”
    Source (Whoops. There are better sources.)
    Official release statement

So a child isn't allowed to do, well, pretty much everything but as soon as they challenge you on their gender the province will step in and intervene? Sort of reminds me of that South Park episode where the kids told the cops their parents molested them and had them all taken away.

That said, there are a lot of buzz articles about this but when you actually look at the bill (I think that's all of it?) it doesn't actually say anything about immediate intervention but with:

Better information through public reporting and data collection will inform policies and programs and enhance service planning and delivery for all children and youth.

Services will be more inclusive and culturally appropriate for all communities in Ontario, supporting better outcomes for children and youth of all cultural backgrounds.
    So what are your thoughts? For the most part, Bill 89 seems like a pretty good overhaul but this seems to be the major hold up.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-06-07 at 07:23 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    My four year old said he was a T-Rex yesterday, should I respect that life decision and let him live as a dinosaur?

So they don't want parents to, you know, be parents and make decisions that are in the best interest of their own child?

10+ Year Old Account
    What age are we talking here? In most cases decisions regarding Gender are tied to sexuality. Is Ontario saying that a child of any age is mature enough to understand their sexuality and make informed decisions? Almost sounds like a slippery slope towards there being no age restrictions on sex.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Is anyone really surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    My four year old said he was a T-Rex yesterday, should I respect that life decision and let him live as a dinosaur?
    Absolutely.

I thought I was a wolf at that age, ran around on all 4's everywhere.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Isn't that overstepping boundaries between private and public life? I don't believe a five year old boy can assume the gender of a girl unless it's imposed on them by the community. Now If we're talking say 14-21 then yes parents should respect because they are maturing and realizing who they are but not at five or four when they barely know anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Yea, i never got how that is any different. I'd like to think that i'm Napoleon, but every time i bring it up they say that i'm crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck with that
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

7+ Year Old Account
    nothing more than SJW and so-called helpers imposing into lives of private people , more garbage for the political correct crowed to get behind and impose their moral highground on others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What age are we talking here? In most cases decisions regarding Gender are tied to sexuality. Is Ontario saying that a child of any age is mature enough to understand their sexuality and make informed decisions? Almost sounds like a slippery slope towards there being no age restrictions on sex.
    But sexuality and the understanding of sexuality changes with age after puberty as well.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Source
    Official release statement

So a child isn't allowed to do, well, pretty much everything but as soon as they challenge you on their gender the province will step in and intervene? Sort of reminds me of that South Park episode where the kids told the cops their parents molested them and had them all taken away.

That said, there are a lot of buzz articles about this but when you actually look at the bill (I think that's all of it?) it doesn't actually say anything about immediate intervention but with:

So what are your thoughts? For the most part, Bill 89 seems like a pretty good overhaul but this seems to be the major hold up.
    So you quote Russia Today that states Ontario is allowing parents to take their children away over gender identity but then go on to say there's nothing in the actual bill to back up RT?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    Isn't that overstepping boundaries between private and public life? I don't believe a five year old boy can assume the gender of a girl unless it's imposed on them by the community. Now If we're talking say 14-21 then yes parents should respect because they are maturing and realizing who they are but not at five or four when they barely know anything.
    14 = mature?

Only 18+ have the right to decided their future since they can leave the house if they don't like their parents rules

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    So they don't want parents to, you know, be parents and make decisions that are in the best interest of their own child?
    Oh dont know, maybe ask kids who were forced to go through conversion therapy or any similar "treatment" if they would prefer the state to intervene and prevent the parents to make decisions that are "in the best interest" of their own child

Quote Originally Posted by greeeed View Post
    14 = mature?

Only 18+ have the right to decided their future since they can leave the house if they don't like their parents rules
    Well I say fourteen because that is when most kids enter high school and begin their self discovery. I mean it could always be earlier but that is information that is sketchy.

I was expecting this to be a story on The Onion...

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I was expecting this to be a story on The Onion...
    Instead it is from Russia Today.

At least The Onion does not pretend their stories are real.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Ya, and we should totally let parents kill their kids because they refuse to listen to a doctors advice on proper treatment! Cause parents know best!

This is the prime example of a mountain out of a mole hill.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...en&BillID=4479

It basically means that parents who abuse their children over these things can be held accountable.

"...a child’s or young person’s race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, family diversity, disability, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression; and a child’s or young person’s cultural and linguistic needs..."

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Instead it is from Russia Today.

At least The Onion does not pretend their stories are real.
    Russian government propaganda arm reporting on LGBT rights. Clearly unbiased.