Poll: Are most professors actually progressives?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I mean, I went to business and economics school...
    There are no nutty professos there luckily.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could be. But creating a narrative that professors are "phonies" gives the average idiot the belief that his views on an issue are just as valid as professors who rigorously study those issues, which is wrong.

Deleted
    That seems like an honest poll :
    "Is the whole profession actually normal or totally bonker by simply being in the opposition"

Also how does mainstream liberals = being phony and =/= progressive ? Can't people actually believe what they say ? do they have to be phony ?

Looks like the OP already decided on that and direct the poll as he wants (guess I know who is phony)
    Also unless anyone here actually know most professors he cannot answer that stupid question.
    Even if you had a college education, your answer will be limited to where you study and with who, so a very limited point of view for like 99,99% of the population. But I guess there will be a lot of people entitled to know what most people they never met actually are.

So many things wrong with that poll.
    From my studies I can say that i have dozens of professor over 2 different academia. Some were good and have interesting idea, other were bad and don't seem to have change their belief or lessons over decades. However the vast majority simply were professor teaching lessons, not life lessons or moral point of view, just the material you actually need to work on...you know like doing their jobs...
    WTF is this poll anyway...
    Last edited by mmoc1ec7205cd1; 2017-06-09 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    My lecturers were all physicists and mathematicians.

I mean, they wanted physics and mathematics to progress...

I think if you load that question any more it'll turn into a turducken.

P.S. I feel like you don't know what the word "progressive" means.
    The meaning gets lost when people like the young turks call themselves progressive over and over. The same can be said about feminism.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Define progressive?

Don't get me wrong, the LibArts shitfests that make an ass of themselves and teach gender studies and performative dance and transgender turtles studies, they're probably 'progressive' but I think most professors probably teach something useful like maths and they probably don't have time to really give a shit beyond "sure gays are okay".
    You'd be amazed how much time we have when we're typically one of the most underfunded departments on every campus.

This poll is ridiculous. Most professors I have met wouldn't fit nicely into either of those categories. The science and math professors were largely focused on science and facts. The Gen-ed professors seemed to either be lazy, or want to expand the minds of their students.Yeah, they tended towards liberalism, mainly because education does actually have a liberal bias, at least in the United States. As a whole, liberals tend to be more embracing towards a social structure of a university, socialized education systems for the masses, and accepting of scientific findings. Conservative colleges are largely based around religion, whereas liberal colleges tend to be based around societal development.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    The meaning gets lost when people like the young turks call themselves progressive over and over. The same can be said about feminism.
    It literally means moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Most professors I met where kind of stuck in their own tiny universe and rarely tried to join the real world

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It literally means moving forward.
    There's a plethora of ways one can move forward, that's the problem here

Truth is, nobody knows shit. That includes the internet messiah Bernie Sanders
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

An academic title doesn't ward you from being an idiot, but being on the forefront of research, academia in general is progressive, yes, doesn't matter what antiintellectual right wingers might think.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not on my experience, but as others have said, depends on your degree. Being STEM I only take the non-science classes required of me. Even then, I've had conservative professor that was African American and female. Granted she is George Foreman's daughter so it isn't like she didn't grow up in affluence. She is very level headed though, doesn't impress her conservative values on others.

Deleted
    from my own experience (PhD, also taught bachelor/master students) most of my colleagues were brainwashed and blinded by mainstream, no thinking outside the box, none at all, many of them experts in their fields, capable of finding mistakes in political party A but unable to detect the same mistakes in political party B, because every "expert" in mainstream media says so...so it must be true

iny my country they think highly of themselves and everything wrong with higher education is because of the government (but academia is self-governed since 1990s...), they often criticise politicians for being corrupt while they themselves are corrupt as well

10+ Year Old Account
    "Phony?"

who are you, Holden Caulfield?

Once again, people demonstrate their complete and utter lack of any sort of perspective on issues. The "SJW professors" raising a stink on college campuses about seemingly pedantic nonsense are a very small number and are sensationalized by the media.

You'll find things like "regressive left" and "anti-SJW" and all that other bullshit tumblr nonsense has very little application out in the real world.

So stop pretending it does.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it is not progressive, it is regressive and anti-intellectual.

at least, that seems to be what it has become, with people like bill nye.
    You know the people need to read more when Nye is being considered as the face of physics.
    As a matter fact, most of the respectable scientists I know are not even bothered with politics. Like at all.

Yes. And its pretty obvious. Immigration is a good example.

I AM a professor, so are most of my colleagues, so I'll give this a go. 1) What criteria are you using to establish these categories? they are overly broad and non-intuitive. 2) what kind of professor are we talking about here? I'm in social science, we all sort of have to have a good grip on the sorts of social issues I think you're referencing for professional reasons. I.E.. all the data that drives your belief system is produced and edited by people like me. That's not true of math profs, who have no professional responsibility to care but may well care anyways for personal reasons. 3) Why have you chosen to virtue signal by dividing the left into warring camps? There are more productive ways to accomplish this goal. So yeah, work on your problem formation if you want real, reliable survey data.

Deleted
    The problem with academia is they are currently treated and acting similar to Business, and every business goal is to make money. And the way admin think that they can make the most money is by providing quantity rather than quality. I mean go look at some of the most pointless studies in academia like 'Activist trainer' or w/e. It's a scam to make money and they put idiots who care more about ideology than furthering knowledge as teachers on those courses because they know that going to university is more important than what you study for a lot of young kids.

That and pampered spoiled kids who are treated like babies are only able to be satisfied when administrators give in to their demands because those students = money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How is Bill Nye regressive or anti-intellectual? What the fuck?
    have you not seen him pushing this gender fluidity shit? i mean that whole episode of his show was borderline degeneracy if i'm being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I seriously doubt you knew enough about more than a couple of your professors to make such a in-depth determination as to how far they leaned one way or another. It's more likely you're just trying to paint the picture that the further left someone is, the more artsy their degree is. But whatever confirms your bias I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly makes academia not part of the real world?

- - - Updated - - -

What the fuck does immigration have to do with the issue at all?
    Being for more immigration is a progressive stance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meafy View Post
    The problem with academia is they are currently treated and acting similar to Business, and every business goal is to make money. And the way admin think that they can make the most money is by providing quantity rather than quality. I mean go look at some of the most pointless studies in academia like 'Activist trainer' or w/e. It's a scam to make money and they put idiots who care more about ideology than furthering knowledge as teachers on those courses because they know that going to university is more important than what you study for a lot of young kids.

That and pampered spoiled kids who are treated like babies are only able to be satisfied when administrators give in to their demands because those students = money.
    The problem with academia is that conservatives are slacking off in a lot of fields.