Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Do we need yet another stat squish?

We are already going back into the millions yet again, do we need another stat squish for the next expansion? I feel like it makes no sense to half the damage just to see it go back two expansions later. Or could there be a more permanent solution? I can't think of any, but maybe anyone of you has an idea?

Blizzard would never agree with me but I believe we need to get rid of the exponential power gains we have right now. Doing 1.5-2 times more damage at the end of an expansion compared to the beginning more than suffices IMO!

But yeah, that won't happen. We'll most likely see a squish every two expansions...

Deleted
    I think they've already stated that they are planning to do another stat squish, and I think it's planned for the next expansion, however I don't recall when they said this, might have been at Blizzcon, or one of the many Q&A's they've made since then.

I don't really mind either way, it's just numbers to me and you get used to whatever is the new high/low fairly quickly anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    probably next expansion i gues the time we got the squish during wod

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    Blizzard would never agree with me but I believe we need to get rid of the exponential power gains we have right now. Doing 1.5-2 times more damage at the end of an expansion compared to the beginning more than suffices IMO!

But yeah, that won't happen. We'll most likely see a squish every two expansions...
    That has literally happend since vanilla... doing twice the damage at the end.. I have no clue what you are on about.

5+ Year Old Account
    blizzard said they're doing another squish in the next xpac after (Legion) during blizzcon 2016 iirc

Deleted
    The Reason for a stat squish before, was so that blizzard would not reach the HP limit they had in place, thanks to the 32 bit engine. Now that HP is calculated in a different way, it is not needed anymore.

We do, but I think addressing the problem is more pertinent. Itwont happen, but if we keep going from 400k to 4m in one expansion there is no point in squishes. We just need to get used to it. It's really not that big of a deal.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    The Reason for a stat squish before, was so that blizzard would not reach the HP limit they had in place, thanks to the 32 bit engine. Now that HP is calculated in a different way, it is not needed anymore.
    It may not be needed to engine reasons, but still needed just for players in general. For humans, lower numbers are easier to deal with and comprehend than larger ones. They'd probably stat squish for gameplay reasons, instead of just for technical reasons.

That has literally happend since vanilla... doing twice the damage at the end.. I have no clue what you are on about.
    It's more like 10x. A fresh 110 with no gear, nothing from Broken Shores, etc should do something between mid 100k and 200k+. Fully Mythic geared toon are doing 10x that.

Honestly, I don't care either way, but we haven't seen 2x since BC. Even in LK, it was a much higher multiplier than that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    We are already going back into the millions yet again, do we need another stat squish for the next expansion? I feel like it makes no sense to half the damage just to see it go back two expansions later. Or could there be a more permanent solution? I can't think of any, but maybe anyone of you has an idea?
    Hell If possibly we should be stat squashed down to Vanilla/tbc/wrath like numbers.

Because It's getting really silly and uninteresting to get a MILLION CRIT DAMAGE WOHOO.. I remember when having a few thousand HP was amazing. Or even 10k damage was amazing.. was that TBC or vanilla? not sure, but you get my point.

The numbers are too big and that's one of the factors that just makes me be like "Meh.. I don't care about my crit" and Ofcourse we can't even care for our stats because they REMOVED 90 % of the stats we were shown before Legion, and even before that.. we had so much stats to look at and consider, and with Legion being such a casual's daydream they dumbed down everything to a couple of stats, even a blind horse touching his hoove on the mouse and playing WoW for 5 minutes will just be like "Damn this is casual"
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you misread him. Currently people don't do double the dps at the end of the expansion. For example, the first time I killed Ursoc hc this expansion, Oct 5, our rogue did 301k dps. Double that, at the end of the expansion, would be 602k dps, right? But looking at the same rogue, on his last Krosus mythic kill, June 8, he did 905k dps. That's triple the damage rather than double, and we're pretty far from the end of the expansion. So if dps is going to triple every tier, next tier he'll end on 2.7m and the last tier 8.1m. That's 27x the starting dps, not double.

Deleted
    yeah you really do not

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see why we do, no difference whether we do 13k dps or 1.3m dps, apart from a dot and a letter, and I don't think that's too hard for us to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    Hell If possibly we should be stat squashed down to Vanilla/tbc/wrath like numbers.

Because It's getting really silly and uninteresting to get a MILLION CRIT DAMAGE WOHOO.. I remember when having a few thousand HP was amazing. Or even 10k damage was amazing.. was that TBC or vanilla? not sure, but you get my point.

The numbers are too big and that's one of the factors that just makes me be like "Meh.. I don't care about my crit" and Ofcourse we can't even care for our stats because they REMOVED 90 % of the stats we were shown before Legion, and even before that.. we had so much stats to look at and consider, and with Legion being such a casual's daydream they dumbed down everything to a couple of stats, even a blind horse touching his hoove on the mouse and playing WoW for 5 minutes will just be like "Damn this is casual"
    Unfortunately, your point will never be understood by the folks who feel "powerful" and "epic" by seeing random big ass numbers on the screen. Apparently, it's not the power ratio that makes them feel powerful (which would require an actual sense of relation/understanding of systems), but the mere visual effect through the number of digits alone.

The game definitely needs another squish. A real drastic one too. But I think the bigger issue is still the absurd power inflation that occurs due to the neverending constant stream of readily available upgrades and power increases at any given moment. It's gotten even worse in Legion, with all the gear from WQ, the artefact talents etc. It's crazy. Dungeons, for example, have never been more trivial. The fact that even a NEWLY INTRODUCED mode like mythic ended up being something you could do with 3 players without any issue just shows how out of control everything is. Why even have group content at this point?

I personally don't like stat squishes; it kills the sense of progression IMO (particularly when leveling new characters; assuming you don't use heirlooms, gear becomes pointless when you only replace it once every 30 levels since they stats got squished so much). I don't have an issue with the larger numbers; I like seeing the power growth over time; it is an RPG after all.

Deleted
    I dont remember going from 5-6k hp hp to 60k hp at the end of TBC, do you? Because thats what happens now (started at 400k and we are now at 4 mil). At the end of argus we will probably have some 5-6mil HP. If we got "only" double numbers every expac we would be around 160k or something (without any numbers´squish on the way). So no, thats has "literally" NOT happened since vanilla. But if you dont know this no wonder you have no clue what he is on about.

Reverting numbers to vanilla across the board would be okay. Implementation of reasonable ilvl scaling (for example double numbers from the beginning of expac to the end) would solve the problem for atleast 10 years. We would hit millions probably in 7th expansion from the one that its implemented.

I liked 10k hp vanila, or 20k BC... its all ok, watching 12431240823705928423414 numbers on screen its just supid, but Blizzard thinks this make me feel more powerful LuL

Deleted
    not like it was done last time, because it was already getting immidiatly ridiculous mid expansion when they did it and had some weird and confusing effect.
    So that was not worth it (if it lasted 3 expansions it would be).

The squish they can do is just remove the first 3 digits and slap a k after the number. Hell they could even do that now already so maybe they need to do an M for next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fight4Fun View Post
    I liked 10k hp vanila, or 20k BC... its all ok, watching 12431240823705928423414 numbers on screen its just supid, but Blizzard thinks this make me feel more powerful LuL
    We might not play the same game, but I never saw a number like that in my gametime. My rouge's hp is ~3800k and the funny thing is that it was almost the same in vanilla, wihtout the "k". My dps is also almost the same, except it has a few more zeros at the end now, but I could have decimals back in vanilla and it would be the same feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalna View Post
    I dont remember going from 5-6k hp hp to 60k hp at the end of TBC, do you? Because thats what happens now (started at 400k and we are now at 4 mil). At the end of argus we will probably have some 5-6mil HP.
    You started with 9-10k hp at lvl 70 and ended with something like 12-13k in BC and a fresh 110 has about 1.2M hp and not 400k, but I agree that the number growth is out of control now.
    Last edited by Seliar; 2017-06-11 at 01:18 PM.