Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajimo View Post
    What exactly are they protesting against shariah law for, is there some push to enforce it that I haven't heard of yet?
    There is actually in other countries.. they made it illegal in Canada to criticize it for example. Also FGM is a real danger in the US and there have been cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Protesting against anti-sharia law... Oh boy, that's a tough one to sell
    That would make one "pro-sharia" wouldn't it?

Oh, and by the way. The paper is pretty much a liberal ran rag.
    More headlines embedded within the story. We need to take that into consideration as well when reading it. It will be spun to fit a narrative.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2992239

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/s...icle-1.3229045

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3104395

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Let's be honest here, they said they are protesting against sharia laws, but in fact it was just a disguise to be racist towards every muslim without naming them out.
    This is probably true.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-06-11 at 02:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    There is actually in other countries.. they made it illegal in Canada to criticize it for example. Also FGM is a real danger in the US and there have been cases.
    That doesn't mean it would be enforced as law though.

As long as they didn't cause violence or the antifasci crowd came I'm ok with it. But I still don't understand if these guys even know exactly what Sharia law is and why it's important to Islam. Or how it can be modified to be more mainstream.
    Sideline: this time we should be blaming the media and past administrations this includes the whole western world for not supporting Muslim critics and I mean the ones who are Muslim and who realize the flaws within their religion. If we acknowledged them more we wouldn't have this whole mixing of jihadist terrorists with progressive Muslims. Secondly the younger generation would not be feel abused because we know not all are bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be honest here, they said they are protesting against sharia laws, but in fact it was just a disguise to be racist towards every muslim without naming them out.
    Islam is a religion not a race. Remember Jews, Christians and Muslims are all abrahamic faiths. Hebrew and Arab are all semites and essentially part of the same tribe save for the Turks/Kurds which migrated from Asia and adopted the muslim Arabic culture. Secondly I belive the word you want to use is bigotry/ prejudice.
    Last edited by Taso; 2017-06-11 at 02:19 PM.

Deleted
    That doesn't mean it would be enforced as law though.
    Well it does matter when it's accepted as a religious freedom and parents who mutilate their daughter wont be prosecuted as well as other sharia law crimes getting lighter punishments or are completely ignored.

Can we at least admit to ourselves that the protests weren't about being against Sharia Law? It was about being opposed to Muslims as a whole, let's stop deluding ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Honor killing is older than Islam. It seems that Muslim clerics have a fairly consistent policy of opposing it.

The confusion stems from the fact it is an arab tradition and arabs are thought as muslim by default by westerners.
    It's not even an Arab tradition. It's a bigger problem in Pakistan and sub-saharan east Africa than it is in the Arab world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    As long as they didn't cause violence or the antifasci crowd came I'm ok with it. But I still don't understand if these guys even know exactly what Sharia law is and why it's important to Islam. Or how it can be modified to be more mainstream.
    Sideline: this time we should be blaming the media and past administrations this includes the whole western world for not supporting Muslim critics and I mean the ones who are Muslim and who realize the flaws within their religion. If we acknowledged them more we wouldn't have this whole mixing of jihadist terrorists with progressive Muslims. Secondly the younger generation would not be feel abused because we know not all are bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Islam is a religion not a race. Remember Jews, Christians and Muslims are all abrahamic faiths. Hebrew and Arab are all semites and essentially part of the same tribe save for the Turks/Kurds which migrated from Asia and adopted the muslim Arabic culture. Secondly I belive the word you want to use is bigotry/ prejudice.
    The legal and practical definitions of racism include ethnic discrimination, not just racial discrimination.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything you said here is factually incorrect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It won't be long before cities are making it law, in particular where they have a majority. Look at Utica NY or Deerborn MI, and see what Obama's refugee policy has done to cities like that. During his tenure those cities and other like it went from middle class white people to looking like some place out of the Middle East.
    I go to Utica frequently, and I've been to Deerborn. They are perfectly lovely places, provided that brown people don't frighten you. Also, the Utica Arab population is mostly Lebanese Christians, so the fact that you would even bring that up here is an unintentional admission of total ignorance.

Also, Utica is 85% white or African American, so....
    Last edited by NineSpine; 2017-06-11 at 02:59 PM.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Everything you said here is factually incorrect.
    Because you say so? Well sorry, you're obviously the supreme lord of everything thats true and your mere leftist word is enough to convince even the biggest skeptics.

Because you say so? Well sorry, you're obviously the supreme lord of everything thats true and your mere leftist word is enough to convince even the biggest skeptics.
    Because it's factually incorrect, much like if you said 5+5=18 and then cried that the leftists are telling you they know math better.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    So lets see the main arguments here

"Wow the larger protesters should be at work instead, must be unemployed lazy folks"

Well its a Saturday. It is a common day off.

"Wow these counter protesters must be pro Sharia law!"

Considering the US will not be implementing Sharia and no one with political power is currently attempting it, its fair to say that this protest at its core is not about Sharia.

A protest against sharia law that the US isn't under and that American Muslims don't want?

How stupid are these people?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...074557381.html

You should stop while you have a chance at redeeming yourself.
    You think a non-binding resolution, which means it isn't a law and has no legal power, that says Islamophobia is bad is the same as "they made it illegal in Canada to criticize it for example"? Are you trying to be comically ignorant? Do you not understand what non-binding means? Or do you not understand what "illegal" means?
    -ynnady

If nobody wants Sharia law, then why is their a counter protest to people protesting something that "nobody" wants?
    Because the original protest gives the impression that it's a real thing, and feeds the hysteria and conspiracy theories about the issue.
    -ynnady

Deleted
    Because it's factually incorrect, much like if you said 5+5=18 and then cried that the leftists are telling you they know math better.
    Then wheres the proof? Your word means nothing..

Then wheres the proof? Your word means nothing..
    That which is presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. If I insist the U.S. has banned eating cheese and crackers, it is not your job to prove me wrong. It is my job to prove me right. When someone presents insane, unsourced conspiracy theories, it's not every else's job to prove that garbage wrong.
    -ynnady

I would be so for the "anti-Sharia law" protest if it wasn't just a way to bitch about Muslims and prob "liburals", but the latter is just an assumption from seeing this mentality over the past few years.

Yes. Canada has something known as the "Human Rights Commission." The Human Rights Commission is able to operate outside of the law as long as a resolution has been established.
    No, it isn't. The purview of the Canadian Human Rights Commission is neither expanded nor restricted by the passage of non-binding resolutions. Hint: That's what non-binding means. While there are controversial cases, and I agree the Human Rights Commission can overstep it's bounds, it is nothing but an investigatory agency (not a prosecutorial agency) with a specific scope that is unchanged by non-binding resolutions.

I am ignorant because you don't understand how the Human Rights Commission in Canada works. Okay.

If it is a waste of time and will affect no policy decisions or cases taken up by the CHRC, and will have not effects on anything at all, why was it made?
    Governments pass non-binding resolutions constantly. Here is one where the U.S. government condemned anti-semitism and anti-jewish hatred:
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-...resolution/707

That doesn't mean in the U.S. it is illegal to criticize judaism.

You attempt at pandering would be really cute if it were not for the fact that you were so painfully wrong and have no idea about how perceived breeches of human rights is handled in Canada.

NEXT.
    No, I just understand what a non-binding resolution is.
    -ynnady

Deleted
    That which is presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. If I insist the U.S. has banned eating cheese and crackers, it is not your job to prove me wrong. It is my job to prove me right. When someone presents insane, unsourced conspiracy theories, it's not every else's job to prove that garbage wrong.
    Exactly.. so your leftist lunacy is insane, goes against the very laws of nature and needs exceptional proof. So far youve only managed to call everyone who questions your dogmas racists or worse and have got even more deranged. So again what conspiracy theories? Trumps an elected president. Treat him with the same respect you gave Obama or the presidents before him. If you cant do that, youre the problem, not us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I watched local news and some lady was all, "We don't want female genital mutilation or people marrying kids." Well, lady, you're in luck, both of those things are illegal.
    I'd like to point out that these being *illegal* means very little when they're seen as *acceptable* by portions of the community in question, for cultural and/or religious reasons. There's a reason there's an estimated half million girls in the US considered 'at risk'.

Exactly.. so your leftist lunacy is insane, goes against the very laws of nature and needs exceptional proof. So far youve only managed to call everyone who questions your dogmas racists or worse and have got even more deranged. So again what conspiracy theories? Trumps an elected president. Treat him with the same respect you gave Obama or the presidents before him. If you cant do that, youre the problem, not us.
    Great. The things you said are still factually incorrect, no matter how much you cry and whine about the big mean liberals requiring you to prove your batshit conspiracy theories about Canada banning criticism of sharia law.
    -ynnady