Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Forgive me if I don't believe your experience
    Well that is fine, you don't actually know me, and you should always take any information especially online with a grain of salt, but I only brought up my experiences, because it is my experience that often times the target for such radical dip shit policies aren't always the ones hit by them.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Doesn't every country have restricted immigration?
    EU members don't have restricted immigration between countries. That's the whole point of the free movement part of an EU membership.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    Sure, you can call it win win if you want to deal with the fallout, so no hard feelings. You can't expect any concessions though, the EU has to take a very hard line stance and statuate an example on the UK so nobody else will seriously contemplate leaving.
    You do know that sounds dangerously tyrannical

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    People were fed up that their wages were being driven down by cheap Eastern European migrant workers, which is true at the lower end of the scale. It was one of the reasons that many left wingers hated the EU, from the right wing the complaint was mainly about cost and sovereignty.
    That is something xenophobes say, because they can't say "I hate foreigners" and be socially accepted.

The number of people losing out were 3-5% of the unskilled, uneducated workforce whose pay is nothing anyway. They won't get a pay rise now: they'll be replaced by machines which flip burgers better than they do.

The rest of us, including the poor, are totally f***ed because all that cheap foreign labour was the only thing stopping rampant price rises.

10+ Year Old Account
    People were fed up that their wages were being driven down by cheap Eastern European migrant workers, which is true at the lower end of the scale. It was one of the reasons that many left wingers hated the EU, from the right wing the complaint was mainly about cost and sovereignty.
    Ok, again I won't argue this point. I am not about to argue with YOU about a world and place you live in. I have no credible experience in that regards, but from me being me outside looking in, it seems very similar to exactly what it is here with say Trump and his America First bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    oh really? i figured the opposition party (labour right) would have been against it seeing as its so fucking stupid and such a major misstep from the conservatives so it would be an easy thing to campaign on
    No, they accepted the referendum vote. Their leader is a long standing Eurosceptic, a lot of his party hated him for what they saw as his apathy in campaigning to stay in the EU.

The two national parties that stood on a pro-EU platform got about 10% of the vote combined, it was bizarrely an almost non-Brexit election, which did not help the Tories.

It's also bullshit. The only reason the EU is playing hard is because they can't let the UK get special benefits from leaving. Not out of spite or anything, but because it's a dumb fucking thing to do. Why give up things for free when you can negotiate and meet in the middle.

Deleted
    Lord Buckethead will see us through.

Every country also has restricted trade.

It is. But the EU needs internal stability right now and the UK will bleed out to provide that. Bad move at a bad time, that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It was against it but isn't going to nakely override a democratic mandate, even one constructed by dribbling xenophobic retards.
    The Labour party is for a hard Brexit. It clearly states in the 2017 manifesto word for word. "Freedom of movement will end when we leave the European Union."

And just yesterday reconfirmed its position. https://twitter.com/pestononsunday/s...45327387795456

Are Labour voters so stupid they don't know what they voted for?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely and had that actually at least here been something that was sincerely campaigned it wouldn't have broken down for exactly what it was, and unfortunately politics makes for strange bed fellows.

Logical and reasonable immigration policy = YES

Rounding up only a specific group, and targeting individual that fit a certain type of profile = NO

Because despite what is being implied in the end the truth is going to be revealed, especially when it is echo'd by those with a long tradition who have exchanged their white sheets for red hats

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    It is. But the EU needs internal stability right now and the UK will bleed out to provide that. Bad move at a bad time, that.
    Doing that will just make people think about leaving more...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    That is something xenophobes say, because they can't say "I hate foreigners" and be socially accepted.

The number of people losing out were 3-5% of the unskilled, uneducated workforce whose pay is nothing anyway. They won't get a pay rise now: they'll be replaced by machines which flip burgers better than they do.

The rest of us, including the poor, are totally f***ed because all that cheap foreign labour was the only thing stopping rampant price rises.
    Or maybe because they can see competition for employment has driven down wages and further immigration will do the same.

I voted Remain, cheap labour is good for me, but there is no benefit to Britain in importing Bulgarians to wash cars in Tesco car park and unrestricted EU movement is poorly thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The Labour party is for a hard Brexit. It clearly states in the 2017 manifesto word for word. "Freedom of movement will end when we leave the European Union."

And just yesterday reconfirmed its position. https://twitter.com/pestononsunday/s...45327387795456

The far left have always been anti-EU, it's the same in Sweden (where i'm from). The left party wants less EU influence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post

You don't understand what hard Brexit is.

Or maybe because they can see competition for employment has driven down wages and further immigration will do the same.

I voted Remain, cheap labour is good for me, but there is no benefit to Britain in importing Bulgarians to wash cars in Tesco car park and unrestricted EU movement is poorly thought out.
    I swear, everytime Brexit is discussed there are new reasons as to why people voted for Brexit.

Doing that will just make people think about leaving more...
    So their country too can turn into a shithole and get collectively buggered by the rest?

Nah, the EU needs to quell the rise of secessionism in much the same principle as america did when their southern states tried. They won't do a war, because that's untenable in our current modern times, but they'll use everything in the book to make the britons feel their mistake and (ideally) to have them come scampering back so they can put on a draconian deal with them that really squeezes them in an effort to make anyone else considering really think twice.

Nobody said international power politics are pretty or fair, but it's the game the world plays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    I swear, everytime Brexit is discussed there are new reasons as to why people voted for Brexit.
    That's because people voted for various reasons

10+ Year Old Account

And what part of immigration do you think is going to remedy that?

Honestly OK shut down the borders, but keep the same policies that make it necessary for that condition to be that way, such as other nations being fleeced and those getting away with it offering no help without conditions to level the playing field or even willing to reciprocate the same immigration policies that gives one a huge advantage over another.

As I stated before, It doesn't rightly fucking matter what is on paper or how YOU or I feel, human beings around going to be bound by their very survival and often times lively based on what you think they should or shouldn't have.