Thread: London fire.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    You get what you pay for.
    So you're saying poor people should blame themselves for the lack of basic fire and safety regulations in a building that houses some more than 100 families?

You just exposed what kind of sick person you are. Don't respond because I won't reply to you.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It's almost as if poor people haven't got a choice where to live.
    When they do, we call them migrants and turn the world upside down to stop them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    So you're saying poor people should blame themselves for the lack of basic fire and safety regulations in a building that houses some more than 100 families?

You just exposed what kind of sick person you are. Don't respond because I won't reply to you.
    I never said that's the way it should work. But that's the way it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its often cheaper to buy one than it is to rent a tiny apartment in a big city tower. I paid $220,000 for my house ($1500.00 a month) and its 3 bed 2.5 bath 1800 Sq feet, or you can rent a 900 Sq ft apartment in new york city for $3000 a month. Plus you pay for apartment rent forever and a home is paid off in 10 to 30 years
    $250,000 for a tiny 500~ sq ft bungalow in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere here so...

Maybe stop letting people in that you have no place to house in the first place.

And then you could retrofit these outdated buildings or tear them down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Oh my, that's so horrible! Apparently someone caught it though, is it survivable at that height? D:
    Babies can actually survive falling from fairly high heights. Their bones aren't fully developed, which means they don't break as easily and can actually take quite a lot of the impact. But it is still pulling a lot of G's being stopped from such a height.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Maybe stop letting people in that you have no place to house in the first place.

And then you could retrofit these outdated buildings or tear them down.
    If you don't understand British Politics, either don't contribute or inform yourself beforehand.

Deleted
    Another great example why people shouldnt live in giant cockroach motels. You have to trust your neighbors arent stupid and smoke in bed or overload circuits and burn your place down. Plus you always got stupid kids running across your ceiling or stomping on the floors, nowhere to park, pain in the ass to bring home groceries or furniture and get them 30 floors up, etc... Absolutely no positives to cramming 200 families in a giant skyscraper. People should all buy single family detached homes
    You're aware the UK is smaller than the US and doesn't physically have enough land to build individual houses

Its often cheaper to buy one than it is to rent a tiny apartment in a big city tower. I paid $220,000 for my house ($1500.00 a month) and its 3 bed 2.5 bath 1800 Sq feet, or you can rent a 900 Sq ft apartment in new york city for $3000 a month. Plus you pay for apartment rent forever and a home is paid off in 10 to 30 years
    Right, but not everyone is approved for a mortgage. You need to have adequate income and a down payment, and low DTI.

Deleted
    On a regular London salary, buying a house is a negligible chance. London house prices are stupid. Particularly as you can't build up the capital for a deposit whilst rents are bleeding you dry; whilst I live well outside London, the only reason that we could afford the deposit on this house was yet more dead family members - don't underestimate the upfront capital required in order to make it cheaper to pay the mortgage than to pay rent.

Space constraints within London make it even worse for those living within the centre of the city; 2-3 hour commutes from outside the capital are viable options if you don't like spending any time with family, though.

I'm sure they have fire inspections, I'd hate to be the inspector who signed off on this one.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Obviously just being a "terrorist" isn't what those posters were referring to.
    Those spuds obviously want to class fridges as muslim extremists now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I'm so shaken.

How in 2017 a building in london is not fitted with modern safety measures. No alarm even going off until hours later.

Blame Boris Johnson, blame Theresa May's austerity and blame the state of social housing for working class individuals while the rich in London live in Mega-multimillion housing. I mean why are our children living in towers like these?
    You think building codes enforcement is an issue for the PM to personally address? For real? What, like Theresa May is there to check that the fire sprinkler system is working monthly?

Do you even know if building codes enforcement was cut by austerity?

I don't pretend to know how the lower forms of government work there, but surely this isn't under the purview of parliament, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    You think building codes enforcement is an issue for the PM to personally address? For real? What, like Theresa May is there to check that the fire sprinkler system is working monthly?

I don't pretend to know how the lower forms of government work there, but surely this isn't under the purview of parliament, is it?
    Eh I don't think they should get off free here. Apparently May's chief of staff was sitting on a report that the entire area was at extreme risk of fire and no intervention took place while her party also blocked law proposals that would force landlords to maintain their properties to a necessary degree to avoid shit like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post

If anyone in Parliment is to blame, try the person who filibustered having rented properties adhere to a "minimum standard of habitation". I think that one was filibustered, as opposed to voted down.

Quote Originally Posted by Penne View Post
    If anyone in Parliment is to blame, try the person who filibustered having rented properties adhere to a "minimum standard of habitation". I think that one was filibustered, as opposed to voted down.
    Are you legit telling me that right now in the UK, there are no mandated fire safety systems? I sort of doubt that is true...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Eh I don't think they should get off free here. Apparently May's chief of staff was sitting on a report that the entire area was at extreme risk of fire and no intervention took place while her party also blocked law proposals that would force landlords to maintain their properties to a necessary degree to avoid shit like this.
    You either had a fire sprinkler system or you didn't. It's not any more complicated than that. No reports needed. Do you legit not have safety standards in all buildings, regardless of what goes on inside them?

Deleted
    I bought a 410 sqft apartment in Gothenburg (Sweden) for ~$270,000 (no mortgage) because I wanted to live right at the sea, but still in a big city. In such a combination it's just not (always) possible to get a single family detached home, there's no space for that, especially not in popular areas. Plus, depending on if you are alone or a family, a big home just seems like unnecessary effort to me personally.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-06-14 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Penne View Post
    On a regular London salary, buying a house is a negligible chance. London house prices are stupid. Particularly as you can't build up the capital for a deposit whilst rents are bleeding you dry; whilst I live well outside London, the only reason that we could afford the deposit on this house was yet more dead family members - don't underestimate the upfront capital required in order to make it cheaper to pay the mortgage than to pay rent.

Space constraints within London make it even worse for those living within the centre of the city; 2-3 hour commutes from outside the capital are viable options if you don't like spending any time with family, though.
    It is also important to note that usually, people moving to the city are having entry level jobs first, making the capital accumulation even harder. Plus, they don't necessarily know that they will keep the job long enough to make buying a house viable.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    How does a fire even get to that point in the building like this? Sprinklers, fire doors, fire dampers, fire resistant penetration seals... How does it spread enough to fully engulf a building that size without something seriously fucked going on?
    All of those things only slow a fire so you can escape. Generally you either put it out early or not at all in modern buildings. Granted, from what it looks like, fire alarms and escapes were off/blocked.

Modern buildings, your escape time is an average of 8 minutes. Past that, your odds aren't great. A lot of this has to due with highly flammable synthetics used in modern furnishing materials.
    and then he cupped my balls...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter View Post
    All of those things only slow a fire so you can escape. Generally you either put it out early or not at all in modern buildings. Granted, from what it looks like, fire alarms and escapes were off/blocked.

Modern buildings, your escape time is an average of 8 minutes. Past that, your odds aren't great. A lot of this has to due with highly flammable synthetics used in modern furnishing materials.
    The advice given in these flats is contradictionary. Used to live in one. Essentially the advice is stay put and shut the doors and windows, as it gives you 30 minutes for rescue. Fire doors and what not should give you this bubble. (obviously common sense is needed). https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCQX9DZXsAA590E.jpg:large

Looks like the building had 8million of 'renovation' cladding put on it which was highly flammable. It was put there because the building was an eye sore and luxury flats build near by that sold for millions didn't want a horrible view. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7789951.html

There are also stories like this http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politic...ng-up-10622601 popping up.

Grim stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc6b1f2f8dff; 2017-06-14 at 04:07 PM.