10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    "knew about those"

Pokeman yea. Beyond good and evil was in dev hell and possibly not happening, and Metroid all we heard was "we may do something later I guess?"
    Michel Ancel literally said that BGE2 was in development but wouldn't be at E3 (obviously he was being cheeky). This was like weeks ago.

And I already went over the Metroid thing, but shit was obvious to anyone paying attention.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Nintendo here, I'm just saying Anthem was the one game that outside of leaks, no one knew about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Michel Ancel literally said that BGE2 was in development but wouldn't be at E3 (obviously he was being cheeky). This was like weeks ago.

And I already went over the Metroid thing, but shit was obvious to anyone paying attention.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Nintendo here, I'm just saying Anthem was the one game that outside of leaks, no one knew about.
    I mean they did skip the Wii U and the last real metroid game was 7 years ago. I also remember BGE2 having a lot of issues and only restarting development... maybe.... for a minute.... lots of bad stuff in the background. Not expecting a good game.

To put it in perspective, this year's E3's biggest surprise was Anthem. (and no it wasn't Pokemon, Metroid, or BGE2 we knew about those already)

This year was meh as fuck.
    We knew about Anthem too. Bioware's resources had been pooled into it for years.

Sure, we didn't know the name, but we knew it was coming and that it'll be a Destiny clone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    We knew about Anthem too. Bioware's resources had been pooled into it for years.

Sure, we didn't know the name, but we knew it was coming and that it'll be a Destiny clone.
    I didn't hear anything about Bioware making a Destiny clone until E3 rumors week, but even still with Metroid and Pokemon we have an idea for what these games will be like. With Anthem there are many ways that you can take a Destiny clone (see Division) and we at least had those answered here.

Anthem was undoubtedly the biggest surprise, even if it isn't particularly exciting.

To no one's surprise...

“There are things we have held [back],” Yoshida laughed. “We chose not to show those at E3 2017, but there will be some more news coming out from our teams later this year. No question.”
    PSX > E3 to Sony now.

I'm actually kinda surprised that media aren't grilling Microsoft about the Azure cloud bullshit now that Crackdown 3 has basically abandoned the tech.

Thinking about it, the XboneX is probably the single most spectacular admission of how bullshit the Azure cloud promises actually were.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/201...olvg5x11gqf3ft
    https://www.theverge.com/2013/5/24/4...ne-requirement

Look at how they're talking about it (their references to "next gen" are talking about this current gen, it was still referred to as "next gen" at the time). Microsoft talked about the endless power of the cloud, spent years making grand promises (As recently as March) and now...still nothing.

Really though, the XboneX is Microsoft waving the white flag on cloud computing. Sure, it can handle dedicated servers and you can offload some minor AI and physics calculations (key word, minor), but it's still nowhere near their grand promises of offloading heavy lifting on lighting, textures or anything else that they spent years talking about.

It's actually pretty impressive how spectacularly the Azure bullshit has crashed and burned as a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    To no one's surprise...

PSX > E3 to Sony now.
    Heh, yep. It's been great for them these past few years. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them reducing their E3 presence a bit as a result. Between E3 turning into yet another stupid fucking consumer show (heard the lines yesterday morning before the show were so big they were a fucking fire hazard and they had to start letting folks in early) and PSX proving itself to be a pretty solid show that's able to draw both consumer and business/media, E3 is just going to be less and less relevant/important.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-06-14 at 05:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I also remember BGE2 having a lot of issues and only restarting development... maybe.... for a minute.... lots of bad stuff in the background. Not expecting a good game.
    What disagrees with what you said is that it's apparent they scrapped what we saw years ago.

What agrees with you is that they literally said "help us design it".

The latter obviously trumps the former, so ...sigh....

So it's basically in alpha or very early early access.

It could be good, what made BG&E what it was is; time it came out, story design, gameplay, audio design, music, voices, diversity of characters, but not necessarily the actual characters themselves so if it's all there minus the characters we knew, then it could be good. If they really didn't have any semblance of a quality coherent plot for a sequel, then It's good they didn't force it.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I don't understand how something being predictable, means it's not a big reveal, we didn't know these would be at E3.

Metroid was a surprise, I have been saying Sony will show a new god of war for 4 E3s now, and whaaat, they did last year, guess it wasn't a reveal or a surprise because I guessed it.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I wonder how much money they have lost from it personally.

Its going to reach a point where they get forced to sell off the Xbox division if they keep bleeding money into useless shit.

"THE POWER OF THE CLOUD"..........Fucken Roflmao.
    I would say they didn't lose any money due to their Azure cloud services being pretty big in the business world. I think they where hoping to migrate Xbox in their as well but it didn't go as planned.

- AC: Origins joins Destiny 2 in games that can't run at 4K/60FPS on XBoX, it will be "dynamic 4K".

- In an interview Sony said this E3 was all about showing games and more specific dates for PS4 and PSVR after launching 3 hardware machines last year.

- They also ask us to wait a little while longer on The Last of Us Part II while they finish Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

- Shadow of the Colossus is a full remake with some new things, not a remaster. (I think it was obvious).

- They said they also saved a good amount of things for future events this year and didn't want to use all their cards on E3 (kinda obvious too).

- Microsoft said they also saved a few things for later this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I don't understand how something being predictable, means it's not a big reveal, we didn't know these would be at E3.

Metroid was a surprise, I have been saying Sony will show a new god of war for 4 E3s now, and whaaat, they did last year, guess it wasn't a reveal or a surprise because I guessed it.
    The new God of War showed a big change in what we expect from God of War, so yes it was a big reveal. It's not just that it was predictable, it's that they didn't show ANYTHING about it.

The new God of War showed a big change in what we expect from God of War, so yes it was a big reveal. It's not just that it was predictable, it's that they didn't show ANYTHING about it.
    Did they need to? They did it to show people a Metroid was in development, they stressed this E3 was about 2017, but they gave people a taste of what is coming in the next 1-2 years.

So basically the god of war thing, when I go back and look at the 2016 reveal, all they did was change God of Wars gameplay from hack and slash to 3rd person actionish rpg. Unless you count the new story as a "big change" in that case, every new sequel shown ever is a big change.

Mario Odyssey basically just did the same exact thing. A "big change" in the way that it is played.

At least Nintendos e3 2017 had surprises, whether or not you thought it was "obvious" Kirby, metroid, Yoshi, and the new Odyssey systems were a surprise.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

I don't understand how Metroid or mainstream Pokemon on the Switch was predictable either.

Metroid was starting to fall into F-Zero status where it seemed like people were giving up almost, although Federation Force could have resparked hope.
    We also had no reason to think The Pokemon Company would jump over to the Switch just yet while the 3DS was still by far more popular.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    To no one's surprise...

PSX > E3 to Sony now.
    Pretty much the conclusion that everyone on this thread got after Sony's presentation. The gaming market calendar is way more dynamic than before and the big companies are moving to their homebrewed venues, so E3 is losing its importance every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't understand how Metroid or mainstream Pokemon on the Switch was predictable either.

Metroid was starting to fall into F-Zero status where it seemed like people were giving up almost, although Federation Force could have resparked hope.
    We also had no reason to think The Pokemon Company would jump over to the Switch just yet while the 3DS was still by far more popular.
    eh, he said a little over a year which means early 2019 at the earliest.

thats 3 years post launch of the switch and the only way it wouldnt have one on the way by then would be if the switch flopped

simply saying its in development is a no brainer since its the next handheld and it would be getting one eventually

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    - AC: Origins joins Destiny 2 in games that can't run at 4K/60FPS on XBoX, it will be "dynamic 4K".

- In an interview Sony said this E3 was all about showing games and more specific dates for PS4 and PSVR after launching 3 hardware machines last year.

- They also ask us to wait a little while longer on The Last of Us Part II while they finish Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

- Shadow of the Colossus is a full remake with some new things, not a remaster. (I think it was obvious).

- They said they also saved a good amount of things for future events this year and didn't want to use all their cards on E3 (kinda obvious too).

- Microsoft said they also saved a few things for later this year.
    would be pretty awesome if they put in some of the scrapped giants
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Did they need to? They did it to show people a Metroid was in development, they stressed this E3 was about 2017, but they gave people a taste of what is coming in the next 1-2 years.

So basically the god of war thing, when I go back and look at the 2016 reveal, all they did was change God of Wars gameplay from hack and slash to 3rd person actionish rpg. Unless you count the new story as a "big change" in that case, every new sequel shown ever is a big change.

Mario Odyssey basically just did the same exact thing. A "big change" in the way that it is played.

At least Nintendos e3 2017 had surprises, whether or not you thought it was "obvious" Kirby, metroid, Yoshi, and the new Odyssey systems were a surprise.
    It's not just a new story for God of War, they are completely changing the themes of the story. I would be saying the same shit if Sony came in last year with a God of War logo screen and nothing else. Also changing the gameplay genre is pretty fucking big. Don't know why you're trying to downplay it so much.

Mario Odyssey is a big change. Yep. Don't know why you brought it up, because I certainly didn't say otherwise.

Also don't expect Metroid in 1-2 years. They didn't have anything to show for a reason.

By your logic, then literally every announcement ever is a surprise. Even what Sony showed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    eh, he said a little over a year which means early 2019 at the earliest.

thats 3 years post launch of the switch and the only way it wouldnt have one on the way by then would be if the switch flopped

simply saying its in development is a no brainer since its the next handheld and it would be getting one eventually

- - - Updated - - -

would be pretty awesome if they put in some of the scrapped giants
    Fall 2018 would be a year and a half from now, so it could come out then which would fall in line with Sun and Moon and X and Y's release windows.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I really considered a surprise was Shadow of the Colossus. Was not expecting to see that.

10+ Year Old Account
    10/10 E3 2017

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Honestly, I'm not surprised. Gaming media and gamers themselves are very forgetful people, always moving onto the next thing as soon as possible. I knew the Azure stuff would end up greatly diminished compared to what they said about it but, I didn't expect it to fall to such a great degree.
    Yeah, it was always a bullshit pipe-dream with the tech and internet infrastructure that exists right now. I was just hoping they'd find some way to deliver on even a fraction of the promises they made for it. It's super disappointing to see it essentially end up being little more than dedicated server hosting, tech that's as old as multiplayer online games.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    As for people going on about 4k, I honestly don't see the issue, considering the vast majority of console gamers don't even have 4k TVs to take advantage of 4k games. It's still more of a luxury at this point. Nice to have for those that already have 4k electronics but not a priority for developers.
    Yep, I still think 4K is too early as well (both the Pro and X). Next gen is when it's going to be reasonable. If nothing else, this mid-generation refresh should be targeting getting all games on the platform running at a stable 1080p/60fps, a target that everyone assumed would be the default for this generation but has sadly ended up being relatively uncommon. Granted, dynamic resolutions are helping achieve stable framerates that target 1080p, and I'm a big fan of the tech, but it's still pretty sad to me that 1080p/60fps isn't the the fucking base default for this generation.

At the very least, I hope Microsoft will support developers having multiple profiles on the X a la Pro. I'm a big fan of the game on Pro that allow players to choose between higher resolution (native/upscaled to 4K or supersampled down to 1080p), higher/more stable framerates, or a mix between the two. I want to assume this will be the case, but after the spectacular cock-up of Crackdown 3 my expectations from Microsoft are pretty much in the gutter.

Well, MP4 probably isn't coming out in the "next 1-2 years" so...