View Poll Results: Has military hero worship gotten out of hand?

Voters
214. This poll is closed
  • Yes

112 52.34%
  • No

90 42.06%
  • Maybe Here is why write in comment section below.

12 5.61%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Don't get me wrong they should be honored for their service
    ... why?

It's a job that they took willingly. Besides which, and probably even more important, what does "honoring" them mean or entail? Do you salute them every time they walk in the door? I can understand not treating them like shit, like the Vietnam vets who were spat on, but that's essentially just being a decent human being, so I'm wondering what "honoring" someone translates to in terms of actions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pfbe View Post
    I can understand not treating them like shit, like the Vietnam vets who were spat on, but that's essentially just being a decent human being, so I'm wondering what "honoring" someone translates to in terms of actions.
    A few minutes looking at the heavily deformed victims of agent orange in Vietnam that are still being born, you might revise that opinion.

That said I agree you can't blame conscripts for fighting a war most of them never wanted to be in. Not so with volunteers.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2017-06-19 at 01:17 PM.

Deleted
    Respected yes, but worshipped no.

They're just people, discounts and whatnot are a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    These aren't conscripts as soldiers were mostly in Vietnam, they volunteered. They made a choice to risk their lives and their health for a good salary because of that danger. They were also completely indifferent to the suffering they inflicted on foreign populations, who don't have generous social programs to fall back on, if a drone blows their arms and legs off. Additionally the military goes to extraordinary lengths to keep soldiers out of harms way relative to conflicts like Vietnam, often risking civillian lives to protect them.

In short I can't see any reason to treat them any differently to any one else in the US. Why not just leave them to rot like you do with people who get cancer? It'd save the taxpayer a lot of money.
    Even so, the Wounded Warrior project was started because they didnt want to see soldiers now a days treated like the soldiers that returned from Vietnam. Lots of IED injuries to soldiers. Ive seen quite a few soldiers ranging from 18-20yrs old missing legs/arms. I understand how some people say, well you volunteered but really the military isnt made up of Upper Middle Class+ people. Its poor people that the military was most likely their best option.

Also, I take it that youve never been in the military, were a different breed of people and leaving a fellow soldier behind to rot isnt something that we even consider.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    Respected yes, but worshipped no.

They're just people, discounts and whatnot are a bit much.
    Most Vets dont even ask for them. At least the ones I know. Usually when you see one doing its, its some stolen valor or dishonorably discharged asshole.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Even so, the Wounded Warrior project was started because they didnt want to see soldiers now a days treated like the soldiers that returned from Vietnam. Lots of IED injuries to soldiers. Ive seen quite a few soldiers ranging from 18-20yrs old missing legs/arms. I understand how some people say, well you volunteered but really the military isnt made up of Upper Middle Class+ people. Its poor people that the military was most likely their best option.

Also, I take it that youve never been in the military, were a different breed of people and leaving a fellow soldier behind to rot isnt something that we even consider.
    In case it wasn't obvious I wouldn't actually like to see soldiers left to rot. But that happens with everyone else. The huge cost of the MIC is a big part of what stops everyone else getting the same treatment as these soldiers do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Police worship is a bigger problem in the US than military. It is close to impossible to get an indictment and even harder to get a conviction.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    I feel like calling someone that did a desk job/non combat role for the military a hero is a bit much. Depends on what one did in the military. Those that served in combat roles deserve all of the praise.
    Being in the military myself; I used to think this also. However, when you actually join and really experience it, you see how each job feeds into each other. Every role plays a vital role in the mission. The jobs are either taking care of the personnel being in the combat roles, or the combat roles themselves. Yes, the ones during the combat roles have a much higher risk, and put their lives in more danger then most others, however with those people behind their backs, they wouldnt be able to be on the front lines, or wouldnt be able to do their combat role nearly as good without the others.

In case it wasn't obvious I wouldn't actually like to see soldiers left to rot. But that happens with everyone else. The huge cost of the MIC is a big part of what stops everyone else getting the same treatment as these soldiers do.
    And if it wasnt obvious. I dont agree with you. Unfortunately casualties of War are just that. We cant take care of everyone and we are just not the only ones to blame. Victims on CONUS get recognized. But also like you said, soldiers are volunteering to fight, even for you. Maybe you should appreciate that for once.

Yup, but it is nothing that I can't handle.

In casual conversation when it comes up that I was a medic (91W/68W), I usually get greeted with, "Thank you for your service."

I tell them the truth, "Thank you (ma'am/sir) but I did not deploy to the sandbox." Most of my time was spent working in hospitals with some time over in a CAV unit over in the ROK.

I feel like calling someone that did a desk job/non combat role for the military a hero is a bit much. Depends on what one did in the military. Those that served in combat roles deserve all of the praise.
    A buddy of mine was deployed to Afghan a couple times, basically was just setting up their network and then would stream netflix and that NFL ticket.

- - - Updated - - -

I was in when nothing was going on, so when I get the "Thank you for your service" things, I'm like... thanks, i guess, as I don't personally see what I did as anything special.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Police worship is a bigger problem in the US than military. It is close to impossible to get an indictment and even harder to get a conviction.
    This.

I'm okay with people thanking vets for their service, regardless of who they are. Not because they're "our front line" or because they're "protecting our freedoms" or that usual claptrap, but because they did a job where they very probably lost friends, or seen horrific shit. I thank our troops because I'm sorry they had to go through hell so some rich bastard in Washington can rake in more oil money.

Cops on the other hand? If they were half as honorable, well-trained, or mentally stable as our veterans are, we wouldn't have as many problems as we have today. The way people worship police - especially murderers like Jeronimo Yanez, Darren Wilson, Timothy Loehmann, Daniel Pantaleo, Sean Williams, Michael Slager, Howie Lake, Blane Salamoni, and attempted murderers like Jonathan Aledda - is cancer in this country.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    When you love something enough, you'll be willing to face the risk of death. What they love is their own country. In fact, they love it so much that they're willing to become lackeys who'll kill in the name of their country whenever their commander-in-chief orders it, even though they're human beings who can make their own judgment on whether something is a worthy cause. They're not given this choice, though.

Take, for example, the Iraq War. You're saying American soldiers who participated in a war that had 100 000 civilians die as collateral damage should be automatically respected, with the war having achieved almost nothing?
    Wow, you have a very narrow minded and cynical way of looking at it.

Being a combat soldier is not something to take lightly. It's the dirtiest job out there that requires every ounce of your being, mentally and physically. Requires you to do things that might seem wrong to you but you gotta do what you gotta do. The toughest decisions are made within the military. I'm sure there were times where they had to decide whether to bomb a terrorist(s) and risk the lives of citizens or let him go knowing that if they do they might never get the same chance again and he would continue out his terrorist ways. So it's like risk killing a few dozen civilians or let him go so that he could potentially kill hundreds maybe thousands. On top of that you only have seconds to decide. What would you do? What would you rather have? What if among those hundreds or thousands of people killed was a friend(s) of yours, a family member(s) and then knowing that they could have still been alive if they would've just bombed him when they had the chance. Would the death of your friend(s) or family member(s) for a dozen complete strangers be worth it? I say fuck no.

So what I'm saying is that I hold a great amount respect for them not only because of the fact that they put their lives on the line to protect complete strangers and to ensure the safety our home country but they make the kind of decisions that I and a lot of other people could never make, necessary decisions that sometimes require great sacrifice. Without people like that we'd be everyone's bitch. We'd be a door mat for everyone to walk on and there would be no retaliation for it because we wouldn't have anyone to make those tough decisions. No matter what was achieved or not achieved during the war I respect those people who were able to make that decision to enter hell and do what they had to do to ensure our safety at home. May sound a little selfish but can you honestly tell me that you would be willing to sacrifice yourself for a bunch of strangers? Probably not, I know I'm not. That's why I hold so much respect for them.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-06-19 at 03:25 PM.

I agree, but you can't really tell who has and hasn't been on the front lines so to speak. 0.4% of the American population is even active duty, and of that, studies show that only 1 in 12 will actually see combat. In other words, very, very few actually see combat.

Then you have to take into account why people choose to sign up. Very frequently it's for the benefits, the opportunities service provides, or because they felt they had no other options. "For God and Country" isn't nearly as common as when we're in an actual threat situation.

So yeah, at the end of the day, I'm not someone that hero worship's military or even believes they deserve special treatment. At the end of the day, they chose to join, and it's really as simple as that. If the draft hits, I'll worship those people that are forced into the role unwillingly who fight. And before anyone tries to jump down my throat, I both have family that has joined and have tried to join myself. I'm not a hero for choosing to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Debatable. I dont see any POs being worshipped. Many times they risk their lives for the same people that hate them. I know a few POs and was a childhood friends with my Countys Sheriff. POs have their own places where they meet and hang out. POs hang with other POs because they are hated so much. Its a shitty job, shitty hours, shitty pay where youre mainly serving the people that dont even like you. I havent seen any programs like Wounded Warriors for POs and Fire/Paras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya because those worthless paper pushers who analyze data, and compile reports for those people that make decisions that put troops in harms way or keep those troops safe... are just fucking worthless fat pieces of shit amirite?

Please use your fucking brain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Has military hero worship gotten out of hand?

Don't get me wrong they should be honored for their service, but is it going over the top to the point its over compensating and not really about them for too many.

Not just military, police, firefighters and yes teachers or nurses. Is the term hero being thrown around too easily?

Please feel free to tell me off. But Id especially like to hear from those that serve. How would you prefer to be honored and not.
    First I don't think its fair to lump all of those in the same boat.

Police and firefighters across the country are WAY over funded. Yes at times they put themselves in harms way... but they are definitely compensated for it, nice paycheck, nice retirement, spoken and unspoken perks.

Public school teachers and nurses also have it made in the salary dept. Ya as a nurse you wipe a lot of asses, and deal with nasty bodily fluids and deal with egotistical asshole MDs and patients who think they are MDs... but thats the job. Teachers have pretty thankless jobs, but they are also compensated nicely. A good teacher though is hard to find, and thanks to unions shitty teachers have become the norm. That being said, I'd rather put my life in danger before dealing with these little shits and their shitty parents.

Our military though... they get relatively shitty pay, and despite the fact that we promise to take care of them after their service is up... we do a shitty job of taking care of our veterans. Also depending on what end of the political spectrum you are and how big of a piece of shit you (global you.... not Mall Security) are... you may not even appreciate that people fight and die so that you CAN ACTUALLY be a piece of shit.

I'm not about to go buy every vet I see a steak dinner, or even a cup of coffee. But I'm not above a simple thank you. Its nice to be appreciated.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-06-19 at 03:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    And if it wasnt obvious. I dont agree with you. Unfortunately casualties of War are just that. We cant take care of everyone and we are just not the only ones to blame. Victims on CONUS get recognized. But also like you said, soldiers are volunteering to fight, even for you. Maybe you should appreciate that for once.
    What a stupid and arrogant thing to say.

The US military has:

a) dragged us into numerous stupid wars at vast expense to the British taxpayer.
    b) Radicalized what was a three men and a dog movement into a global jihad.
    c) Repeatedly lost wars despite unprecedented resource advantages.
    d) Inflicted vast geopolitical and social problems on the whole of europe with the resulting wave of mass migration.

So, no, no one is fighting for me or any one but themselves. They are simply creating problems. They put people in considerably more danger. You people are utterly useless, even when it comes to the mindless slaughter you think is the solution to everything.

Not shockingly, a forum full of extreme liberals have little respect for the people who defend their freedoms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Not shockingly, a forum full of extreme liberals have little respect for the people who defend their freedoms.
    The only thing that will defend our freedoms is invading foreign countries, grabbing their oil, radficalizing the local population, losing, returning home defeated and then leaving other people to clean up the gigantic fucking mess you left behind including an exponentially growing terror threat.

Yeah thanks GI Joe.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2017-06-19 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    This.

I'm okay with people thanking vets for their service, regardless of who they are. Not because they're "our front line" or because they're "protecting our freedoms" or that usual claptrap, but because they did a job where they very probably lost friends, or seen horrific shit. I thank our troops because I'm sorry they had to go through hell so some rich bastard in Washington can rake in more oil money.

Cops on the other hand? If they were half as honorable, well-trained, or mentally stable as our veterans are, we wouldn't have as many problems as we have today. The way people worship police - especially murderers like Jeronimo Yanez, Darren Wilson, Timothy Loehmann, Daniel Pantaleo, Sean Williams, Michael Slager, Howie Lake, Blane Salamoni, and attempted murderers like Jonathan Aledda - is cancer in this country.
    There are plenty of soldiers who have committed worse crimes though, it's just that we don't really care as much because the victims weren't Americans.

The US military has:

a) dragged us into numerous stupid wars at vast expense to the British taxpayer.
    b) Radicalized what was a three men and a dog movement into a global jihad.
    c) Repeatedly lost wars despite unprecedented resource advantages.
    d) Inflicted vast geopolitical and social problems on the whole of europe with the resulting wave of mass migration.

So, no, no one is fighting for me or any one but themselves. They are simply creating problems. They put people in considerably more danger. You people are utterly useless, even when it comes to the mindless slaughter you think is the solution to everything.