Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That's bullshit.
    No it isn't. Why do you think there are no sanctions against myanmar any longer? Or why there's no sanctions imposed against thailand? cambodia? Vietnam? I don't know why you think your leaders actually care all that much about abuse. You happily exploit people in cambodia for cheaper clothing in the west, if you sanctioned them then it would cause problems with exploiting them. Have no illusions about this; the leaders of the world aren't the kindhearted leaders that you seem to believe they are.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-19 at 02:40 PM.

Because we don't impose sanctions on every single country as sometimes those sanctions would do more to harm the victims than it does the government.
    Rofl, okay. Whatever you want to believe. Just know that cambodia is part of the reason why your clothes are so cheap, try imposing sanctions against them and see what happens to the cost of clothes. It's not in the interest of the corporations and by extension leaders due to lobbyism, to not be able to exploit these people.

The cost of my clothes stays the same?

Your lifestyle depends on exploitation of people. If you imposed sanctions on the countries they reside in you would have to pay a lot more for things you take for granted, things that are cheap now.

*shrugs* Everything I'm wearing right now was made in either the US, Italy, or HK from British/Italian fabrics.
    Oh really now? So you've never bought clothes at H&M? Something that's from adidas? Marks & spencer? Gap?

Not in the last 15 years...
    So you have bought from them but not in the last 15 years. Guess what, you supported exploitation of people in countries like cambodia then.

The clothes I'm currently wearing were made in bangladesh. It doesn't bother me one bit that people were exploited for it. Make no mistake, I would continue to support this if it means cheaper things for me. As do a lot of people. That's mostly why leaders don't impose sanctions on those countries, Obama did on bangladesh for poor labor conditions though.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-19 at 02:55 PM.

I know, you have no problem with others suffering so long as your bubble doesn't pop.
    That's how the world works. It's not some utopia where everyone can be the rich person who lives a comfortable life.

Who ever said everyone needs to be rich? Everyone should have some basic rights as a human though, we're not animals and if not for a roll of the dice you could be in their place.
    Roll of the dice? Please. I exist because my parents wanted a kid and they're well off. That's not a roll of the dice. That's a result of their decision.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    That's how the world works.
    Phew glad people in the past agreed that how the world works now doesn't mean it has to work that way forever, or else we'd still be running slave trades and conquering countries here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, you're just plain wrong here.
    I am? So what's the alternative to human rights? Animal rights? Human Rights - Edgelord Edition?
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    The roll of the dice happened 100K+ years ago with your family eventually ending up where you are. A couple things shake out differently and they end up living in a country like NK. Lucky you your people didn't migrate there at some point...
    No, no... he choose to be born rich and doesn't understand why the rest of us choose to be poor.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    No surprise @Freighter uses Social status to dole out who gets human rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    No surprise @Freighter uses Social status to dole out who gets human rights.
    well... speech is one of the fundamental freedoms, and spending money is free speech according to the SCOTUS, so those with more money have more freedom?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I am? So what's the alternative to human rights? Animal rights? Human Rights - Edgelord Edition?
    Yes, if it was universal then everyone would accept it, they don't. If there is no universal culture there can be no universal human rights. Individualistic western culture vs communitarian cultures, cultures where duties are more important than rights have little regard for human rights. If you want human rights to be universal you're gonna have to end all other cultures and ideologies that do not believe in them. Human rights, however, prevents you from doing that if you want to adhere to them.

There needs to be no alternative. The laws of a nation are more than enough.

- - - Updated - - -

The roll of the dice happened 100K+ years ago with your family eventually ending up where you are. A couple things shake out differently and they end up living in a country like NK. Lucky you your people didn't migrate there at some point...
    I have distant family there, I don't know if they're alive or not, refused to get out of there while they still had a chance because they stubbornly didn't want to leave their homes, my grandparents used to live in what is north korean territory today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Phew glad people in the past agreed that how the world works now doesn't mean it has to work that way forever, or else we'd still be running slave trades and conquering countries here and there.
    Slavery is alive and well outside of the western sphere.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-19 at 07:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Slavery is alive and well outside of the western sphere.
    Exactly... but i see this went right over your head, way way over.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

How do you plan to enforce it if the leaders of a country says no? Go to war against the country?
    In order to protect innocent people from oppression? Yes, that is exactly what you do. You stop the oppressors from harming innocent people.

According to the person you are responding to human rights violations aren't enough of a reason to go to war. They appreciate such things as they feel they keep them and their's safe. It is sad when one persons freedom is more important than everyone else's, but that is Freighters world view. Fuck everyone but Freighter.
    The person I was responding to is often very ignorant and inconsistent. It's the same person who feels completely justified in forcing his or her culture onto others, yet whines if someone else wishes to do the exact same thing.

It's the person who claims to have distant family in NK, yet when that is brought up they say, "What? My family is in SK!"
    Yeah, the person is clearly a hypocrite and a liar.

How do you plan to enforce it if the leaders of a country says no? Go to war against the country?
    Not necessarily, we could just not sell them billions of dollars of military gear. That alone would probably allow the Houthis to take Yemen, which would scare the Saudis to death

It's the person who claims to have distant family in NK, yet when that is brought up they say, "What? My family is in SK!"
    My family is in SK, which is my siblings, parents and grandparents. Me using distant family denotes that they are far removed from our line. We had the same great grandparents. You don't get to ignore context here, I specifically used distant family.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The person I was responding to is often very ignorant and inconsistent. It's the same person who feels completely justified in forcing his or her culture onto others, yet whines if someone else wishes to do the exact same thing.
    I have expressed no desire about forcing my culture onto others. I have however said that people should adapt to the culture in the country they move to, which in most cases is not my culture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    In order to protect innocent people from oppression? Yes, that is exactly what you do. You stop the oppressors from harming innocent people.
    Okay, go to war against pakistan or saudi arabia for all I care. Bring about more suffering than they would ever cause, by engaging in war with them. Then claim you're one of the good guys because you care about human rights and such, don't pay any attention to the fact you caused more suffering than they did, by starting a war.

My family is in SK, which is my siblings, parents and grandparents. Me using distant family denotes that they are far removed from our line. We had the same great grandparents. You don't get to ignore context here, I specifically used distant family.

- - - Updated - - -

I have expressed no desire about forcing my culture onto others. I have however said that people should adapt to the culture in the country they move to, which in most cases is not my culture.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, go to war against pakistan or saudi arabia for all I care. Bring about more suffering than they would ever cause, by engaging in war with them. Then claim you're one of the good guys because you care about human rights and such, don't pay any attention to the fact you caused more suffering than they did, by starting a war.
    Yes, you said if people didn't conform to a culture, they needed to leave. That sure as hell sounds like force to me.

I would simply kill those causing the harm. War is not necessary to relieve the oppression, assassination can work just fine.