Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome thanks for the info, 1 more question, can I make any class/race combo on the trial account? You
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    Awesome thanks for the info, 1 more question, can I make any class/race combo on the trial account? You
    You can't do the expansion jobs. So no Dark Knight, Astrologan, Mechanist, Red Mage, or Samarai. And Thief isn't an option until level 10 or 15. All races are open though.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    You can't do the expansion jobs. So no Dark Knight, Astrologan, Mechanist, Red Mage, or Samarai. And Thief isn't an option until level 10 or 15. All races are open though.
    Isn't Au Ra still locked behind HW?

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Isn't Au Ra still locked behind HW?
    I actually wasnt sure about that one. If that race is locked behind the trial, then add it to the list.

Have they expanded on the "pathed" system that the original felt like? I heard it was changed some in the previous expac with the introduction of flying. One of the things i love most about wow is i never felt contained in a zone, or that I had to go threw valley A to get to map B. I played FF14 some at the start and got the first expac (though never leveled high enough to do it...) b.c. it felt so self contained and limited on how i could between zones.... if that makes sense.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Another question, can you jump? I've watched videos and haven't seen a single player jumping...
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Another question, can you jump? I've watched videos and haven't seen a single player jumping...
    Yes.

/10char
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

For the OP, I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm a Mythic WoW raider and just installed FF14 last week to try out the free trial, as something to do now that I don't have to incessantly grind Artifact Power anymore. I am mostly playing it to see something different than WoW, see the story, see what the content is like, etc. For now I'm just questing around, and I've done a couple of dungeons. I'm level 20 right now. I plan on making this character a Ninja, so I've got a bit of work ahead of me. I like that you can do every class on one character, so alts aren't really needed at all. That's a huge plus.

So far I'm enjoying it. I like that there's a bunch of dynamic events around while questing (called "Fates") that give decent XP and make it so leveling is less boring. One thing I don't like so far is the combat seems kind of slow - i dont mean the longer GCD, but that i'm really only using 2-3 abilities over and over. But that might just be because i'm low level - wow wasn't much different IIRC.

The dungeons have been pretty faceroll easy, but I was taken aback by one player in the level 16 dungeon I just did that "wow, you guys are good" when we were just facestomping trash. It's definitely a different casual crowd than WoW, where the community has pretty much always decided to be a raging dick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    For the OP, I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm a Mythic WoW raider and just installed FF14 last week to try out the free trial, as something to do now that I don't have to incessantly grind Artifact Power anymore. I am mostly playing it to see something different than WoW, see the story, see what the content is like, etc. For now I'm just questing around, and I've done a couple of dungeons. I'm level 20 right now. I plan on making this character a Ninja, so I've got a bit of work ahead of me. I like that you can do every class on one character, so alts aren't really needed at all. That's a huge plus.

So far I'm enjoying it. I like that there's a bunch of dynamic events around while questing (called "Fates") that give decent XP and make it so leveling is less boring. One thing I don't like so far is the combat seems kind of slow - i dont mean the longer GCD, but that i'm really only using 2-3 abilities over and over. But that might just be because i'm low level - wow wasn't much different IIRC.

The dungeons have been pretty faceroll easy, but I was taken aback by one player in the level 16 dungeon I just did that "wow, you guys are good" when we were just facestomping trash. It's definitely a different casual crowd than WoW, where the community has pretty much always decided to be a raging dick.

Cool good to see other mythic raiders opinions, by the sounds of it I'm going to just play it , enjoy the story, then quit once I hit cap unless it somehow sucks me in, but from the sound of how casual it is, I doubt it will. But will be a nice change in pace until argus drops.

Cool good to see other mythic raiders opinions, by the sounds of it I'm going to just play it , enjoy the story, then quit once I hit cap unless it somehow sucks me in, but from the sound of how casual it is, I doubt it will. But will be a nice change in pace until argus drops.
    You can be as casual or hardcore as you want to be in this game, same as in WoW. You just need to find a like minded group of people, aka a Free Company (FFXIV guilds) to do it with.

The only thing I will say is that as many people have said, the combat feels very slow in the early levels. For many classes that lasts until level 30 at minimum, and in some cases up to level 50 once all of the combos are unlocked. The only classes that IMO feel more active sooner are Pugilist/Monk and Thief/Ninja. Every job opens up considerably from 50+ though.

Think of it as a vacation from WoW, not a substitute for it, and you'll probably enjoy it more as a chance to exhale, sit back and relax before Argus. And there's no reason to quit at cap if you're enjoying it. But you can make that decision later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this game have a legit day/night cycle by chance? Looking for an immersive game.
    Night is not so dark you cannot see but GODDAMN that night sky

- - - Updated - - -

No Aura either so you are lacking stormblood and Heavensward jobs(which you cannot get till 50 anyways)

But all base races CAN be all classes

- - - Updated - - -

Lol yes and recently added swimming in some areas

- - - Updated - - -

First really mechanic heavy fight is in Sunken city of Quarn he has an instant death and near insta death adds(used to be insta death if adds lived).

Also hunt logs do great xp abd reward a ring once all are done. It has your job emblem too(rings earring necks and so on DO change so alot even glamor those too)

Also do the novice training hall gets you a bonus xp ring for 30% more through level 30...as well as full armor of level 15-18 dungeon level for the role you do it on..and can be done for each role to get a full set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Also do the novice training hall gets you a bonus xp ring for 30% more through level 30...as well as full armor of level 15-18 dungeon level for the role you do it on..and can be done for each role to get a full set.
    That actually brings up a question I have. I'm making a ninja, so i started with pugilist, got that to 15, then am doing rogue until 30whatever it is, so i can start on ninja. When I started rogue, I had to in essence start back from level 1. What's the best way to level starting from 1 when you've already done most of the side quests and story quests in the area already? I found myself just killing random squirrels and using the XP boost you get, until I was high enough for area fates, and then basically just started farming fates that I could find.

Is there a better way?

That actually brings up a question I have. I'm making a ninja, so i started with pugilist, got that to 15, then am doing rogue until 30whatever it is, so i can start on ninja. When I started rogue, I had to in essence start back from level 1. What's the best way to level starting from 1 when you've already done most of the side quests and story quests in the area already? I found myself just killing random squirrels and using the XP boost you get, until I was high enough for area fates, and then basically just started farming fates that I could find.

Is there a better way?
    Heads up btw. With 4.0 you do not need to level secondary classes anymore. Just the primary one. So just Rogue to 30. And as for levelling alternate jobs go unlock Palace of the Dead in Gridania. Is a good way to level alts.

And if you are willing to throw down money then for £18 you can boost a Ninja to 60. It doesn't skip the Main Story but again this is just an option.

Srsly? I leveled pugilist to 15 for no reason? ugh

10+ Year Old Account

Is there a better way?
    Hunt logs at first insane xp PER kills add in a few fates abd you are set for guildheist(I assume you unlocked these abd level(

But yeah do novice training hall on your pugilist too will get you rogue gear too.

Oh and another thing they just removed the sub class twuirement

- - - Updated - - -

Srsly? I leveled pugilist to 15 for no reason? ugh
    It JUST changed with Stormblood so their is that abd your pugilist armor works for nin too

Oh and you could not unlock rpg till 10 on a class anyways
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2017-06-20 at 08:49 PM.

Even though it's already been answered... http://i.imgur.com/cPhgWr9.jpg

edit - And as for day/night cycle, weather etc it's much better than WoW's honestly. If it's midday and you're inside a building and walk outside, your screen turns slightly white for a second, just like in real life as your eyes have to adjust to the increased light. And at night if there is a thunderstorm, lightning does kinda the same. It's so much brighter for a split second that messes with your ability to see - not to the point that it interferes with playing, but more that it's like "holy shit, actual darkness and weather!" when compared to WoW's "night time" where it's more like you're just wearing slightly dark sunglasses during the day.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2017-06-20 at 08:53 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Update:

So I spent some time playing and even though the game is visually pleasing, i found the beginning to drag so hard. It feels like a legit single player game and not an mmo. Also the fact that I can't join the realm where my irl friends are (Gilgamesh) is a complete let down. I unfortunately don't believe I'll be purchasing this game. I'll play a bit more to see if hopefully it changes my mind as I want to give it a legit chance but it looks bleak at this point.

Thanks for being direct, I am 100% looking for a vanilla wow style mmo but I also believe it simply isn't possible now a days. Sadly. I just want to play a game where if I go hard I feel my effort is actually rewarded, like it used to be. That being said if I do try final fantasy it'll be from a very casual perspective. I hear I can be a legit blacksmith in this game, does currency actually have a value or is it more like Diablo?
    Most MMORPGs have this system where everyone can get rewards of some kind, but you'll have better rewards depending on the content you partake in.

That's exactly the same as it was in Classic. More people not wearing "epics" stemmed from the fact that 1) Most people were busy getting to max level, and 2) there simply weren't that many epics and those that were around were insanely low chance. People were getting good gear though. If you visit a Classic server, everyone playing regularly is decked with epix just fine.

Same today, there are more epics in rotation, but the best ones don't come from a vendor or world content in any reliable sense. The players partaking in top tier content, are still the ones most rewarded. As it should be.

If you want the "classic" gameplay where the game will fulfill somewhat of the same circumstances, your best bet is to tag along on an entirely new MMORPG that releases and leave once more people get to max level and start getting rewards.

FFXIV is not a game where people rush to max level to get gear and feel superior to the "plebs".

Update:

So I spent some time playing and even though the game is visually pleasing, i found the beginning to drag so hard. It feels like a legit single player game and not an mmo. Also the fact that I can't join the realm where my irl friends are (Gilgamesh) is a complete let down. I unfortunately don't believe I'll be purchasing this game. I'll play a bit more to see if hopefully it changes my mind as I want to give it a legit chance but it looks bleak at this point.
    To be honest and not sugar coat, a large portion of the game is like this. FF14 needs to be looked at as a hybrid, not a true 100% mmo. The MSQ is mostly all single player except for when your sent to dungeons and trials. I will say this though, the story is, imo, an amazing ramp up. It just keeps getting better and better, and SB is turning out amazing.

I feel you on Gilgamesh though. I'm on the server with a friend and an FC. We tried to recruit two people from wow over before the full lockdown, and they just couldnt get on the server. My friend and FC had no desire to move because everyone knows people throughout the server and don't want to start over. I would love to be on a lower pop server with a smaller queue time. But it is what it is and play where the people i know are. I think if Square would give incentives to full guild moves, they would see better returns on people moving down.