Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Just saw the video, police officer is guilty as hell. But not in our tiered justice system.
    So what you mean is, if you were a one man jury, you would find him guilty. :P There are good reasons Juries are made up of multiple people. Randomly picked by both the prosecuting ad defending lawyers who will debate the selection. It is called a fair and just system to the extent humanly possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akalaka View Post
    From what I understand, Castile immediately informed the officer that he was armed and had a license to carry, as you are supposed to do in a situation like that. Then after asking for his license/registration, the officer shot Castile (multiple times, with a child in the backseat) when he tried to reach for his wallet. Just another case of an officer being waaaaay too on edge because it's a black guy. He should have been convicted. If he was that scared of the gun, he should have told Castile to get out of the vehicle and taken possession of the gun before continuing the traffic stop.
    Anyone THAT skittish should be on desk work and not out in the field with a gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anon56 View Post
    It's really worrying that something like that could happen in a civilized country. I can understand that shit like that can happen in less civilized countries like Russia or Saudi Arabia but that it could happen in the US, the leading country in human rights, freedom and justice is mind boggling.

I really hope the US improve rapidly how they treat their minorities. Some cases are sickening.
    Yeeeah the US is for all intents and purposes borderline third world these days. We just got kinda time frozen later then most abd our prior status as an actually great nation grants us a bit more leeway..but overall the us has gone downhill so much I just cannot see us as a truly advanced nation anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Anyone THAT skittish should be on desk work and not out in the field with a gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeeeah the US is for all intents and purposes borderline third world these days. We just got kinda time frozen later then most abd our prior status as an actually great nation grants us a bit more leeway..but overall the us has gone downhill so much I just cannot see us as a truly advanced nation anymore
    border line 3rd world? lol have you ever set foot in a 3rd world country let alone lived there for a 6 months or more?
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Just saw the video, police officer is guilty as hell. But not in our tiered justice system.
    Quote Originally Posted by From the Video
    "Sir, I have to tell you, I do have a firearm on me"

"Don't reach for it then, don't pull it out"

"I'mma have to pull it out"

"Don't pull it out"
    Maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't have pulled it out.
    Last edited by Tinykong; 2017-06-21 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

After watching the video the cop is clearly not qualified to be a police officer. His reaction tells you he fucked up. His behavior tells me he cannot operate level headed in situations where his life may be in danger. He was quick to pull the trigger. He should be allowed back on the force unless he has a desk job. However. Judging by what is being said in the video. The Philando is still not obeying commands. He is told not to pull it out which his girlfriend claims he wasn't and even he does claim he wasn't, But the act of reaching for something the cop cant see especially after you tell him you have a firearm is a big no no. After the cop said "Dont pull it out" He should have stopped reaching for his license, (something he should have already had out and ready in these situations) and put his hands back on the wheel for the cop to see them. He apparently kept reaching for something and the cop couldnt determine what it was but assumed it was the gun. The cop already thought this guy was a robbery suspect so him having a gun put the cop on edge and the fact he could be reaching for his gun put the cop over the edge. But the cop should not have shot until the gun was in plain view after ordering Philando not to reach for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't have pulled it out.
    All the evidence points to him not pulling it out. It's not visible in the girlfriend's footage. If he HAD pulled it out, you'd think the officers would want to secure it so the girlfriend didn't try and grab it, but they make no effort to, because it wasn't pulled out at all and they don't know where it is.

Also, you need to re-watch the video, since you're not hearing Castile correctly. He doesn't say "I'm a have to pull it out". He VERY clearly says "I'm NOT pulling it out", emphasizing the word "not".

Hell, you want more confirmation that this shit is weird? Watch his partner. The guy is completely unprepared for Yanez to start shooting, and didn't even draw his own weapon.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-06-21 at 05:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All the evidence points to him not pulling it out. It's not visible in the girlfriend's footage. If he HAD pulled it out, you'd think the officers would want to secure it so the girlfriend didn't try and grab it, but they make no effort to, because it wasn't pulled out at all and they don't know where it is.
    So you want cops to wait until a suspect actually is holding a gun in his hand, instead of taking action when the suspect is reaching for his gun after clearly announcing he's going to pull it out. Cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNoseKnows View Post
    So you want cops to wait until a suspect actually is holding a gun in his hand, instead of taking action when the suspect is reaching for his gun after clearly announcing he's going to pull it out. Cool.
    Why is it so hard to watch video?

Castile said he was NOT pulling it out. It's clear as day, in plain English, in the dashcam footage.

And yes; I want officers to wait until they identify an actual threat before using lethal force, not just shooting innocent people "just in case".

Regardless of who you think is right or wrong I think we should all agree here that it was nothing to do with race and that he just wanted to shoot a black man as so many people have painted that picture.

Also, you need to re-watch the video, since you're not hearing Castile correctly. He doesn't say "I'm a have to pull it out". He VERY clearly says "I'm NOT pulling it out", emphasizing the word "not".

Hell, you want more confirmation that this shit is weird? Watch his partner. The guy is completely unprepared for Yanez to start shooting, and didn't even draw his own weapon.
    He was reaching for something, which we know after the fact was probably his driver's license. But, at the time of the incident, the cop could reasonably assume Castile was reaching for the gun he just told the cop he had.

Also, what I heard on the tape is different from what you heard. I heard "I'm gonna have to pull it out" or "I'mma have to pull it out" both of which would be reasonable if Castile had the weapon concealed, and was trying to explain that in order for the officer to take it, he had to expose it.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was reaching for something, which we know after the fact was probably his driver's license. But, at the time of the incident, the cop could reasonably assume Castile was reaching for the gun he just told the cop he had.

Also, what I heard on the tape is different from what you heard. I heard "I'm gonna have to pull it out" or "I'mma have to pull it out" both of which would be reasonable if Castile had the weapon concealed, and was trying to explain that in order for the officer to take it, he had to expose it.
    Well, that's plainly not what Castile said.

Yanez: Don't reach for it then.
    Castile: I'm, I, I was reaching for ...
    Yanez: Don't pull it out.
    Castile: I'm not pulling it out.
    Reynolds: He's not.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/us/phi...cam/index.html

Well, that's plainly not what Castile said.

Yanez: Don't reach for it then.
    Castile: I'm, I, I was reaching for ...
    Yanez: Don't pull it out.
    Castile: I'm not pulling it out.
    Reynolds: He's not.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/us/phi...cam/index.html
    I've listened to the audio many times, and what I have heard is not what you and CNN have transcribed.

If that's what I heard, it's possible that is also what the officer thought he heard and reacted to. It's reasonable to believe when someone says "I have a gun" and you tell them not to pull it out, and they are reaching into their pocket, they are reaching for the gun.

I don't want them firing at anyone unless fired upon. If it's good enough for troops in a hostile zone it's good enough for cops on our own soil. It's a dangerous job if you don't like it, and are afraid of your own life anytime you see a gun. Maybe it's not the job for you.
    So you just want more dead cops? Because the reality is that they deal with people in close proximity, and training them to wait until a shot is fired means they will just be dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can see at the beginning of the stop Castile already handed him his license and he glanced at it and gave it back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    You can see at the beginning of the stop Castile already handed him his license and he glanced at it and gave it back to him.
    I've only heard the audio, this just further proves to me that Castile was in the wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Will it result in more dead cops, i'm sure it probably will. It'll also result in less dead civilians. You know those things police are supposed to be sworn to protect and serve.
    How many people are wrongfully killed by police ever year, and how many cops are killed in the line of duty by an assailant?

I'll bet I know which number is smaller.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've only heard the audio, this just further proves to me that Castile was in the wrong.
    How does it prove that? If anything the police officer went from 0-100 right after that, as if it's the first time he heard someone say that they had a concealed firearm permit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That was his registration I believe. Probably the insurance card too.
    Ah ok, just shows that he was complying during the entire process, then the police officer kept interjecting while he was speaking until he unloaded his handgun into him to shut him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Ever been to the shittier parts of Detroit?
    no but i lived in a true 3rd world country for 6 months, one of the poorest actually Djbouti Africa.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    How does it prove that? If anything the police officer went from 0-100 right after that, as if it's the first time he heard someone say that they had a concealed firearm permit.
    What was Castile reaching for if he had already given the cop his DL? Probably the gun.

15+ Year Old Account
    What was Castile reaching for if he had already given the cop his DL? Probably the gun.
    Because he was going to give the gun to the officer, because he told him twice that he had a concealed firearm and a permit for it. That's probably what he gave the officer first.

Well you specify "wrongfully killed" which is the key part to your agreement and is very subjective. Because logic would dictate that Castle wasn't wrongfully killed, but many would rightly disagree.
    Wrongfully killed by police is what matters, which is why I specified it. There is nothing subjective about whether or not a police shooting is justified or not, unless you want to engage in conspiracy theory nonsense, which I don't.

As stated, it's a dangerous job. Don't like it, don't sign up to do the job.

Also the 2016 number for police killed vs fatal shooting is 145 police to 963 civilians.

https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/
    These statistics aren't really related to my point, since it includes all kinds of deaths unrelated to crimes.