View Poll Results: GMO vs Organic Real or Bullshit?

Voters
84. This poll is closed
  • It's Real I do it and it's amazing.

7 8.33%
  • Yeah It's real I am trying to do it.

4 4.76%
  • No, it's a gimmick to tax stupid and gullible people.

66 78.57%
  • No, but I did try it, and I noticed no actual difference.

7 8.33%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GMO vs Organic Real or Bullshit?

What do you think do you eat only organic?

How has it gone after you made the switch, how do you know, is there any benefits, concerns or side effects from doing it?

If you haven't tried it why not, do you think it's a gimmick?

Do you want to try it, and you just haven't found a way to make it really work?[/B]
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I eat anything so long as I think it tastes good and isn't too unhealthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I eat anything so long as I think it tastes good and isn't too unhealthy.
    That seems pretty logical and reasonable, although I have to admit, I am curious as to any that have actually tried it and noticed any good or bad effects from it alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I don't care, but fuck the big GMO companies.

Deleted
    I have friends that grow organic chicken, and sell organic eggs.
    I get their stuff for free, so that's nice. But I honestly don't perceive any difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    That seems pretty logical and reasonable, although I have to admit, I am curious as to any that have actually tried it and noticed any good or bad effects from it alone.
    I don't see why you would want to only eat food that's been labeled organic. Seems like a waste of money as there's not really any discernible difference to us while it's more expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't tell the difference between GMO/Organic. If foods shit then its shit and I won't be eating it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

There is scientific consensus that GMOs are no more harmful for you than "organic" food. I view anyone who argues otherwise just as retarded as climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I don't see why you would want to only eat food that's been labeled organic. Seems like a waste of money as there's not really any discernible difference to us while it's more expensive.
    Well where I am the U.S it seems that one is a little bit more expensive, with the benefit being it's organic, and not Genetically Modified and treated with pesticides. Which makes it better for you healthier for you things like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not what I would consider nutty about it, but, I do organic often. There is no denying the difference in taste when I buy produce from one of the local farmer's markets when compared to what I get in a super market: tomatoes in particular, Jesus, the difference is astounding to me. Also I buy chicken and beef from a local butcher who is supplied by local farms and the quality of poultry and steaks compared to what I can get in the super market.... night and day. Granted, fresh probably has more to do with the quality than the tag of the poultry and meat being organic. I don't eat a lot, but when I do, I'll pay extra for better quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yes.

There is scientific consensus that GMOs are no more harmful for you than "organic" food. I view anyone who argues otherwise just as retarded as climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers.
    Yeah, I try to keep an open mind but that seems to be the over all consensus, because even if there was some benefit that I can't really tell, it seems to be a gimmick I have seen some Anti GMO types actually angry because they admit some of it isn't actually GMO at all, and that it's being used to make a buck by lying or tricking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I'm not what I would consider nutty about it, but, I do organic often. There is no denying the difference in taste when I buy produce from one of the local farmer's markets when compared to what I get in a super market: tomatoes in particular, Jesus, the difference is astounding to me. Also I buy chicken and beef from a local butcher who is supplied by local farms and the quality of poultry and steaks compared to what I can get in the super market.... night and day. Granted, fresh probably has more to do with the quality than the tag of the poultry and meat being organic. I don't eat a lot, but when I do, I'll pay extra for better quality.
    See that is what I am looking for thank you, yeah, because while I might not buy into all I have heard, I do wonder about what you shared, I wonder if it's placebo or something else. Meaning there is a difference but for like taste or flavor rather than it's GMO bad.

The benefit is the absence of toxins. The difference you will detect is that you feel fine and not actually sick.

Organic is a fairly meaningless term because the U.S. govt is not friendly to the idea of organic at all, so it's been made ineffectual.

But whatever, keep moving in lockstep you consumer zombies.

Well where I am the U.S it seems that one is a little bit more expensive, with the benefit being it's organic, and not Genetically Modified and treated with pesticides. Which makes it better for you healthier for you things like that.
    You do understand that 'organic' farmers use pesticides right... ALL farmers use pesticides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I try to keep an open mind but that seems to be the over all consensus, because even if there was some benefit that I can't really tell, it seems to be a gimmick I have seen some Anti GMO types actually angry because they admit some of it isn't actually GMO at all, and that it's being used to make a buck by lying or tricking.
    Yes, 100% gimmick.

You mention this:
    not Genetically Modified and treated with pesticides
    Organic food is treated with pesticides and fungicides (there are a ton of them on an approved list of what pesticides can be used and still label a food organic from the US Organic Standards), as an example of the bullshit surrounding the product. They have to or they would lose their crop to pests, that is a simple fact. There is no magic in making organic food that somehow shields it from weeds and bugs.

What's more is they use WAYYYYYY more pesticides and fungicides than commercial non-organic farms. Because they use garbage tier "organic" pesticides as they call them which they say are more natural, but are far less effective than the standards used by everyone else. So they have to use a lot more of it to protect their crops.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2017-06-21 at 07:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    See that is what I am looking for thank you, yeah, because while I might not buy into all I have heard, I do wonder about what you shared, I wonder if it's placebo or something else. Meaning there is a difference but for like taste or flavor rather than it's GMO bad.
    It's definitely not about being anit-GMO for me. The choice is all about taste. A ribeye from my local butcher is so much better than what I can get from Safeway/Luckys; Whole Foods comes close but not quite as good and, amazingly, Whole Foods is more expensive than my local butcher. I mentioned tomatoes: I make a lot of spaghetti sauces. The difference in flavor and consistency between what I can get during the summer and what I can buy in a market: a world of difference. I can't come close to the level of flavor I get with a fresh tomato without adding some tomato paste to a sauce made with super market quality tomatoes.

Really, it comes down to the individual: can you tell the difference. Buy a local steak. Compare it to what you get at a super market meat counter. If you don't taste the difference there's no reason to worry about it; Same with veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    The benefit is the absence of toxins. The difference you will detect is that you feel fine and not actually sick.

Organic is a fairly meaningless term because the U.S. govt is not friendly to the idea of organic at all, so it's been made ineffectual.

Organic is a meaningless term because it's completely bullshit. Organic farmers use just as much, if not MORE harmful pesticides for their crops. It has been projected that if the whole world switched to 'organic' farming, 2/3rds of the planet's population would die of starvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post

Did you not study biology in grade school or something?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    What do you think do you eat only organic?

How has it gone after you made the switch, how do you know, is there any benefits, concerns or side effects from doing it?

Do you want to try it, and you just haven't found a way to make it really work?[/B]
    GMO is starting to see some negative effects from their "conditioning" - and we're seeing most of the food coming from Monsanto - who is evil. In every sense of the word.

However, the real problem is the mislabeling of food now - even High Fructose Corn Syrup is getting changed (thanks to our GMO friendly administration) into something like "Natural Flavors" - because it's corn. Which is ridiculous. They are also redefining what "organic" means so that the least amount of effort ("the chickens can see a grass field from their 2x2x2 cages") counts to get the label.

At this point most food labels are gimmicks, or will be soon. You almost literally won't know what you're eating.

I worked on an organic farm (and a botanical garden in Southern France for two months), it's far from bullshit. There are strict regulations in place, and it sometimes takes years to get approved for organic. Everything goes under strict sample analysis. As also someone who has a biomedical science background, there's no dispute that organic is better. Pesticides are found in human urine up to 24 hours after consuming "normal" non-organic food. It's just whether you can afford the better option, as obviously organic is more expensive.

Organic all the way for me, forever. Quality over quantity.

As for GMO it's too early to say... what potential long-term effects there may be, if any. BPA was added to plastics for decades and only recently it's been shown to be detrimental to health. Hence the rise of new "BPA-free plastics". Science is always evolving.
    Last edited by Kynario; 2017-06-21 at 08:01 PM.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

7+ Year Old Account
    My biggest concern has been processed vs non-processed. Staying away from processed food is the big win imo.