Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It's even more interesting when you look at the big picture Clinton lost that SC district by 19%. Parnell lost it by 3.2%, an almost 16% gain in democrat votes. Pretty big change in 7 months. I had little faith in Ossof in the GA race. He was being far too nice in his ads...Nothing about Trump or the ACHA bullshit...this guy just didn't want to win.
    Or are we just seeing the difference between Hillary and literally any other democrat at the polls? Yeah, I do realize you could have voted Dem for everything but president, but the top of the ticket heavily effects how people vote down ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    1992 was 25 years ago

Who?

Which?
    Trump was raping women well before 1992, so it's hard to pinpoint a date for you.

Do all Trumpistas have their heads up their ass? Trump and his campaign are under multiple investigations.

The Emoluments clause of the Constitution for one. It's like you don't even try.

I don't understand why it's surprising that Democrats lost in red districts in red states.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohhhhhhhhhh so now CNN is real news.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Or are we just seeing the difference between Hillary and literally any other democrat at the polls? Yeah, I do realize you could have voted Dem for everything but president, but the top of the ticket heavily effects how people vote down ballot.

In 2016 the republican incumbent won 78% - 21%, 2014 61% - 39%, 2012 56% - 44%

So its definitely the drastic reversal of a strong trend towards red.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Sorry I don't have an online source. It was mentioned during the election night coverage on MSNBC.

Now I'm wondering if they were talking about SC 5. This suggests that the number is 47.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...cial-election/

Which you still only need to take half to take the House.
    No sweat, and thanks for the clarification. And yeah, even 47 is an amazing number. Just half and we can stop this madness . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What momentum, they still lost. The "momentum" is DNC spin, and even many elected Democrats aren't buying it, at least not the old-guard Democrats.

Prove you can win one of those spots and we'll talk, until then it's just a record of loss after loss.
    The momentum I already mentioned - barely winning a spot they've held for almost 40 years, won by 23% last election, and needed every dirty trick in the book to hold.

On the flip side, I think I do see your point. So far, despite all the talk, the DNC is 0-4. So no actual swing, just talk and trends. If I'm understanding you correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    Trump was raping women well before 1992, so it's hard to pinpoint a date for you.

Do all Trumpistas have their heads up their ass? Trump and his campaign are under multiple investigations.

The Emoluments clause of the Constitution for one. It's like you don't even try.
    Trumpers can't try anymore. If they even bother to go for facts, logic, or analysis their God-King falls by the wayside. There are now FIVE separate investigations going on regarding Cheeto and his posse. And more keep opening up. All of them are deadly serious, too.
    Last edited by cubby; 2017-06-21 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No sweat, and thanks for the clarification. And yeah, even 47 is an amazing number. Just half and we can stop this madness . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

The momentum I already mentioned - barely winning a spot they've held for almost 40 years, won by 23% last election, and needed every dirty trick in the book to hold.

On the flip side, I think I do see your point. So far, despite all the talk, the DNC is 0-4. So no actual swing, just talk and trends. If I'm understanding you correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Trumpers can't try anymore. If they even bother to go for facts, logic, or analysis their God-King falls by the wayside. There are now FIVE separate investigations going on regarding Cheeto and his posse. And more keep opening up. All of them are deadly serious, too.
    Mmmmm...
    Cheetos

10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP defended four red Congressional Districts. All four races were significantly closer than historical averages in those districts. If they had lost any of them it would have been a very big deal.

This is why Presidents typically appoint cabinet members and other positions from safe seats, not seats in contested swing states or states dominated by the other party. They do this so they limit potential damage to their party's power in Congress.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No - because Democrats are currently just a lame, light weight Republican.

People over there on the 'visionary' left are unrepresented, and people who MIGHT vote for the lame middle ground can't be bothered.

The result - the far right gets candidates in whilst no-one else bothers because their ideals are either unrepresented OR they just aren't strong enough to vote for the lame light weight Democrat.

This became very clear in 2016 with Bernie and Trump bringing out the strong ideologies to vote.

The advantage of having EVERYONE vote is the lame middle ground people come out and vote for the least outlandish candidate.

That's the VERY reason Australia introduced mandatory voting, so that extreme cliches didn't end up controlling the outcome.

Basically - around half the voters in the country vote A or B every time, because it is in their family or something silly.
    If you only have 55% of the total voters turning up to vote, you are in effect leaving the fate of your country in the hands of the extra 5% that turn up. That 5% will be those pushed by churches, lobbies etc to turn up.

In Australia - the same thing happens at the start, A or B - but we have an extra 45% deciding the election, meaning that it is almost impossible to influence them via special interest groups (although media has some sway).

It means our politics tends towards stable rational middle ground.
    Do you go vote?

When will Democrats win safe red seats?

I feel like people are running with these kind of headlines either ignorant of the actual context or just being willfully so to bait clicks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Do you go vote?
    It's compulsory in Australia, we have over 90% voter turnout. So probably yes.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhh so now CNN is real news.
    Kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the US needs is to get rid of both parties, they are too entrenched with special interest groups to ever really care about the average person.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    What the US needs is to get rid of both parties, they are too entrenched with special interest groups to ever really care about the average person.
    Not happening, they are private organizations. The only way would be to infiltrate them and change the rules from the inside and watch it come crumbling down, so we could have 10+ political parties and over 4000 representatives working from their community and voting online, a coalition presidential administration, and increase the amount of judges 50 fold to achieve true due process and a speedy trial.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Solution - mandatory voting on Saturdays ... everyone votes including.

Last election Australia had 95% voter turn out.... makes it hard for fringe lunatics to get far.
    Austrailians also get drunk as fuck before voting. Does drinking before voting make one vote more conservative or liberal?

[QUOTE=Mormolyce;46210017]When will Democrats win safe red seats?

I feel like people are running with these kind of headlines either ignorant of the actual context or just being willfully so to bait clicks.

[COLOR="#417394"][SIZE=1]

You KNOW which one of your answers is the right one, and while I may occasionally ruminate about the 'ignorance' of many Americans' - it most certainly is not that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post

Another case of Trump Derangement Syndrome. Hanging around too much on Reddit isn't good for you.

Who the fuck cares. "Dems vs Repubs" is not a damn game. We are not on opposite teams. Vote for who you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Not happening, they are private organizations. The only way would be to infiltrate them and change the rules from the inside and watch it come crumbling down, so we could have 10+ political parties and over 4000 representatives working from their community and voting online, a coalition presidential administration, and increase the amount of judges 50 fold to achieve true due process and a speedy trial.
    Nothing a Stalinist purge cant fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Who the fuck cares. "Dems vs Repubs" is not a damn game. We are not on opposite teams. Vote for who you want.
    For the most part, we are on opposite teams. The middle ground is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    For the most part, we are on opposite teams. The middle ground is dead.
    That POV is going to be the death of this country. We are Americans, first and foremost.

Take a step back and think about why we have been pitted against one another.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That POV is going to be the death of this country. We are Americans, first and foremost.

Take a step back and think about why we have been pitted against one another.
    But the America conservatives want is an algo-saxon christian-based theocracy with a federal government neutered in all branches, giving states' and large corporations free reign to deny the rights of Americans. They believe that they are the only ones worthy of subsidies, lower taxation, social programs, safe neighborhoods and high performing public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    But the America conservatives want is an algo-saxon christian-based theocracy with a federal government neutered in all branches, giving states' and large corporations free reign to deny the rights of Americans. They believe that they are the only ones worthy of subsidies, lower taxation, social programs, safe neighborhoods and high performing public schools.
    Not all do. Also this is a good argument as to why we need to teach empathy in public schools, with a heavy dose of reality. It's not like there are enough $200k+ jobs in the United States for everyone who wants one to have one...

In any case, the point is that we need to bridge the divide, because this level of animosity is going to get much worse. We are creating ingroups/outgroups on political ideology, which is going to reinforce "us/them" mentalities. We need to focus on similarities. In the end I think most Americans want the same thing: safe, affordable housing; well-paid jobs; health care for their families.