Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Because jurors are always right, they are legal experts, never made a wrong call, never ruled against or the lack of evidence!

And surely should never rulings of court cases!
    Sorry, but I'm going to refer to a unanimous jury of 12 with all the facts over some people with their internet research every single time.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2017-06-23 at 03:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And those experts would be dead wrong in a number of states where you have a duty to inform upon first contact.
    Nobody has a "duty" to give up their rights during a traffic stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's how you handle a cop who doesn't know what he's doing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Nobody has a "duty" to give up their rights during a traffic stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's how you handle a cop who doesn't know what he's doing...

In some states you are required to inform a police officer you have a concealed weapon on you if you. Thankfully I dont live in one of those states. Not that it really matters, I was literally yelled at by a deputy once because I didnt tell him I had a CCL even though I was not armed at the time and had no legal requirement to tell him even if I was armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    In some states you are required to inform a police officer you have a concealed weapon on you if you. Thankfully I dont live in one of those states. Not that it really matters, I was literally yelled at by a deputy once because I didnt tell him I had a CCL even though I was not armed at the time and had no legal requirement to tell him even if I was armed.
    Comes down to a majority of police either not being trained correctly, or just incompetent. 2 years back, leaving class around 4pm, one followed me for a good 5 miles, didn't go after the cars that were speeding passed, kept following me. Pulls me over and does the norm "license and registration". I handed him my concealed permit with my license and registration, he asks where it is, i tell him on the right side of the seat, tells me not to touch it. While I'm waiting for him to run my license and insurance he calls for backup. Approaches the driver side of my car with has his hand on his service gun unlatched but still in holster, second police arrives, has his drawn. Apparently the first police radioed "man with a gun". Proceeds to open my door, reach over me grab for my pistol, unload it and tell me how I shouldn't carry a weapon.

Held me there detained for about an hour and a half, even attempted to keep my weapon. It wasn't until I told him I was calling someone and dropped the name of a very good attorney that I was suddenly "allowed to go on my way." Idiot cops that do terry stops, hoping to find something else make me smh.
    Quote Originally Posted by 25165453757
    I am excite

*shoots 27 warning shots*

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post

Besides the cops word, what proof?
    Uh... the video proof they released around the time the officer was acquitted? It clearly illustrates the cop telling him to stop, and Castille not listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    That's quite true. I've always thought people arguing over a jury's decision is just plain presumptuous. The jury has the facts of the case laid out for them... not us.
    Jury members aren't legal expert....I mean ''he thought he was reading for a gun'' is such a broad defense that by that definition a person could shoot anybody and claim self defense. Anybody that didn't fall under ''law enforcement'' would be put in a hole for such a stupid legal defense.

Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    I don't think it was racially motivated . Nothing from the video showed me that what he did was out of malice or overt disrespect / distaste for black people, that he was racist, etc. He was actually quite cordial from the start until mention of the gun when his fight or flight kicked in. His nervous "Well don't reach for it.." (What I was most shocked by was how quickly things went so far south... less than 10 seconds).

However I think there is likely some degree of unconscious fear-based bias toward being on the defensive for this man around an african american, even if he doesn't have any ill will toward black people. It's more of a psychological learned response from the culture we live in. An unfortunate one.
    I just don't think this is supported by the evidence; namely the fact that women are so much less likely to be shot by police (they account for maybe 5% of all shootings).

Quote Originally Posted by Orcs View Post
    Uh... the video proof they released around the time the officer was acquitted? It clearly illustrates the cop telling him to stop, and Castille not listening.
    It clearly illustrates the officer has given him two conflicting commands. It clearly illustrates the officer closest to Castile perceives no threat. It clearly illustrates that Yanez is probably too flighty and insecure to be a peace officer.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Jury members aren't legal expert....I mean ''he thought he was reading for a gun'' is such a broad defense that by that definition a person could shoot anybody and claim self defense. Anybody that didn't fall under ''law enforcement'' would be put in a hole for such a stupid legal defense.
    And the average forum goer calling every police shooting murder or execution are legal experts? I mean, even racism got trotted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And the average forum goer calling every police shooting murder or execution are legal experts? I mean, even racism got trotted out.
    I think it is undeniable race played a part in this, but it's impossible to tell how much. I think it is more in the police officer's subconscious biases than overt racism.

By contrast nothing in the video showed me he was a hothead racist looking for an excuse to shoot somebody. In fact quite the opposite: he was extremely upset things went down how they did, but clearly felt his hand was forced to do something he didn't want to - but felt he needed to - to protect himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    It clearly illustrates the officer has given him two conflicting commands. It clearly illustrates the officer closest to Castile perceives no threat. It clearly illustrates that Yanez is probably too flighty and insecure to be a peace officer.
    He asks for ID, then firearm is mentioned. To think this isn't a gamechanger is silly. That is when he changes his tune to 'don't reach for it'. It's stupid at that point for victim to continue reaching thinking the cop will just implicitly trust his every move. Cop has every reason to believe gun could be anywhere until it is secured / revealed.
    Last edited by elaina; 2017-06-23 at 12:41 PM.

I think it is undeniable race played a part in this, but it's impossible to tell how much. I think it is more in the police officer's subconscious biases than overt racism.

By contrast nothing in the video showed me he was a hothead racist looking for an excuse to shoot somebody. In fact quite the opposite: he was extremely upset things went down how they did, but clearly felt his hand was forced to do something he didn't want to but felt he needed to, to protect himself.

- - - Updated - - -

He asks for ID, then firearm is mentioned. To think this isn't a gamechanger is silly. That is when he changes his tune to 'don't reach for it'. It's stupid at that point for victim to continue reaching thinking the cop will just implicitly trust his every move. Cop has every reason to believe gun could be anywhere until it is secured / revealed.
    so ask him to get out if you're afraid?

Seriously what do people expect at this point? follow orders and get shot or don't follow orders and get shot.

Seriously what do people expect at this point? follow orders and get shot or don't follow orders and get shot.
    Thats the thing - i dont think we was following orders.

Produce ID.
    Okay but I've got a gun.
    Okay don't
    Reaches into unknown anyway (presumed but 90+% likely imo or else there wouldn't have been commotion)

He needed to stop everything he was doing and wait for revised instruction. At this point with his partners help, ask him to exit the vehicle.

Umm yeah....

Yanez had limited training in defusing situations, records show

In his five years with the St. Anthony Police Department, officer Jeronimo Yanez spent well over three months in training. Included in that time were 46 hours devoted to using force, another 36 hours on street survival and 20 hours on shooting his gun.

But he received just two hours of de-escalation training two months before his fatal encounter with Philando Castile on July 6, 2016.

Deleted
    Jeronimo Yanez. Given the reaction on this forum one would've expected him to be Ernest Englishman, a blonde hunk with a swastika on his arm being aquitted by a similar jury. Instead it's Jeronimo, at no point is he named, a picture shown or his ethnicity talked about. Why? Because it nukes the entire "racism!" argument.

If somehow cops all across the spectrum, across all age groups, genders and ethnicities react in the same way to a certain group. Then racism might just not be the cause of it. Sure it's the most convenient go to depending on political beliefs and the easiest excuse which can simultaneously be used to smear ones opponents. But it fails to explain this phenomena at large.

If he had followed order he wouldn't have gotten shot.

- - - Updated - - -

That's because you're racist. There is 0 proof of racism but you assume racism therefore you are the biased one.

Thats the thing - i dont think we was following orders.

Produce ID.
    Okay but I've got a gun.
    Okay don't
    Reaches into unknown anyway (presumed but 90+% likely imo or else there wouldn't have been commotion)

He needed to stop everything he was doing and wait for revised instruction. At this point with his partners help, ask him to exit the vehicle.
    Or just easier and you wouldn't need to execute the person on the spot

Get out of the car please

So much saver....

And even so maybe he was already reaching for his papers and when the cop told him to?

IN other words you lot are disgusting justifying this behavior, it only happens in the USA and the so called good cops are protecting the rotten bad cops. The partner didn't panic till after this asshole started shooting.

I'm done can't stomach this anymore, justifying murder and executions like this. And then you lot turn around and wonder why you lot are called racist pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I thought the standard operation is to declare you have a gun then to show the officer license. The officer was the only edgy in the exchange, him telling the officer he had a gun was to make the officer aware and to put his guard down it had the opposite effect. If he didn't declare he had a gun and got shot the justification would have been well he didn't follow protocol and declare he had a gun seems there's no way to come out of this and not be dead.
    The proper procedure is to await instruction on how the officer would like to continue. Some officers won't care much (but they'll surely be eyeing you and the situation), and some officers may ask to hold your firearm for the duration of the stop. The point is, you either wait for the officer to state how he/she wants to handle the situation or you ask how they want to handle the situation.

What you don't do is tell the officer you have a gun then go digging around where your gun is while the officer takes out his gun and repeatedly asks you to not take the gun out.

The officer def didn't handle the situation the best way, but he also didn't have reason to be charged for manslaughter. If someone tells you that they have a gun and they refuse to stop putting their hand near or or on it despite repeatedly being told not to, what else are you to do?
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2017-06-23 at 01:38 PM.

Or just easier and you wouldn't need to execute the person on the spot

Get out of the car please

So much saver....

And even so maybe he was already reaching for his papers and when the cop told him to?

IN other words you lot are disgusting justifying this behavior, it only happens in the USA and the so called good cops are protecting the rotten bad cops. The partner didn't panic till after this asshole started shooting.

I'm done can't stomach this anymore, justifying murder and executions like this. And then you lot turn around and wonder why you lot are called racist pricks.
    During traffic stops the officer generally do not want to get the person out of the vehicle. That allows them too much freedom of movement. It is best to have the person in a confined area. Besides, he didn't get to that point in the stop.
    If only Castille had followed lawful comments he would be alive today. When a police officer tells you to do something you better damn well do it.
    It is shame that Castille died over what was laundry list of errors made by two people. But it is what it is. Unfortunately, people will try and take advantage of it for monetary gain.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-06-23 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    The officer def didn't handle the situation the best way, but he also didn't have reason to be charged for manslaughter. If someone tells you that they have a gun and they refuse to stop putting their hand near or or on it despite repeatedly being told not to, what else are you to do?
    How about not give conflicting commands? listen to the guy when he says he is not moving? listen to when he said he is a licensed gun owner? If someone is that edgy perhaps they shouldn't be a cop and check out people at the supermarket his partner was nowhere near on edge as he was.