Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    MIB-Jurassic Park same universe confirmed!
    Both in the Lost World book and movie, it's implied InGen(?) bought and/or scared the survivors from talking about the incident.

The Lost World movie sort of mocks this idea by creating an incident they couldn't hide, which is then confirmed by the third one, when every journalist wants to ask Grant about it in a conference.

That's why I wonder which version of Ian Malcom is going to appear in JW2. The one who's been silent for years about the dangers of these animals while watching them build and open a new park on TV, or the one who outran a T-Rex with a convertible in San Diego.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2017-06-23 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I'm wondering that too, because I don't recall anything that suggests Lost World and/or Jurassic Park III never happened. Granted I know some would like to pretend they don't.
    I think it's an unpopular opinion but I genuinely liked Lost World. The third act went rather silly (apparently that was Spielberg's decision and the book is different, though I don't think I ever got around to reading the book) but otherwise a solid film. Maybe I'm just biased because I love Jeff Goldblum.

The third one though, peeee-ew.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    MIB-Jurassic Park same universe confirmed!
    So that means they both exist within the 21 Jump Street universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So that means they both exist within the 21 Jump Street universe?
    24 Jump Street - Return of the Raptors Alien Descendents (.....or something).

I think it's an unpopular opinion but I genuinely liked Lost World. The third act went rather silly (apparently that was Spielberg's decision and the book is different, though I don't think I ever got around to reading the book) but otherwise a solid film. Maybe I'm just biased because I love Jeff Goldblum.

2nd and 3rd I didn't mind. I enjoyed them for what they were. Not saying they were amazing, but still good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Give us a real T rex this time or riot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40172587

So could be either

why would any of the previous JP movies be non-cannon??? they could still build a new park after the last event, just needed enough money to do it. Looks like they had it right till I-rex. I'm ready for it to come out,as i love the JP movies, namely the first one but they are all good (though different from the books)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account

You should read the book.

I for one don't really look at the movies as "cannon" except for maybe the first one.
    But that's because I read the book. Obv. I saw the second movie before I read the second book (age and interests and all) But when I got around to reading the book. I then noticed all the cheap movie-goer plot devises. Such as the whole "love story thing" between Malcom and Sarah, which in the book, is nothing like the movie.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    The Lost World never happened in the universe of Jurassic World, right? So Malcom has only survived the park once, and never been to "Site B".

It'd make sense for the original survivors to appear after the new park's failure, even if their silence was bought the first time. This incident was a lot more public.
    No it happened as did the third movie they just decided not to talk about it in Jurassic World because it was unessential to the plot.

The new Park opened in 2005 four years after Grant and company got stranded and seven years after the events of Lost World.

- - - Updated - - -

Give us a real T rex this time or riot.

According to recent discoveries T Rex did not have feathers at least not as an adult. Several skin impressions have been found of Rex showing scales.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...s-not-feathers

Paleontologists who theorized Rex had feathers did so based on an ancestor that had them which is bad science. Its like assuming humans would be covered by thick black hair because our ape ancestors were.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    No it happened as did the third movie they just decided not to talk about it in Jurassic World because it was unessential to the plot.

The new Park opened in 2005 four years after Grant and company got stranded and seven years after the events of Lost World.
    Nothing to show they're canon, nothing to show they're not, we'll just have to wait and see what's the story behind this Ian Malcom.

I just don't see how they would allow anyone to open Jurassic World after the San Diego incident, or how Dr. Wu wouldn't be in jail for it.

I do believe people would be stupid enough to visit the park en masse despite knowing about it. That's no science fiction.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2017-06-23 at 05:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing to show they're canon, nothing to show they're not, we'll just have to wait and see what's the story behind this Ian Malcom.

I just don't see how they would allow anyone to open Jurassic World after the San Diego incident, or how Dr. Wu wouldn't be in jail for it.

I do believe people would be stupid enough to visit the park en masse despite knowing about it. That's no science fiction.
    Colin Trevorrow (director of Jurassic World) said the events happened but are not going to be addressed in Jurassic World.

Also the Masarani website for Juassic World addressed the escaped Pteranodon in JP3 proving the events of the other movies are still canon.
    http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/d...ity/index.html (skip the video and read down below)

Zoos and circuses have animal related incidents that result in the death of staff and guests all the time. They may get sued but no government agency is going to stop them from operating after a such accidents.

Dr. Wu would not go to jail for cloning dinosaurs because they killed people because someone mishandled them later thats fucking stupid.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2017-06-23 at 05:47 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

According to recent discoveries T Rex did not have feathers at least not as an adult. Several skin impressions have been found of Rex showing scales.

Paleontologists who theorized Rex had feathers did so based on an ancestor that had them which is bad science. Its like assuming humans would be covered by thick black hair because our ape ancestors were.
    From your own link.
    Was Tyrannosaurus rex—the giant king of the tyrannosaurs—actually sporting bright plumage? Mounting fossil evidence of feathers and protofeathers on several T. rex cousins has intensified the debate. But without direct proof that T. rex had feathers, some scientists decided to hunt for clues in the next-best place: fossilized skin. They examined the world’s only known fossils of T. rex skin—from the neck, pelvis, and tail of a long-dead dino named Wyrex, stored since 2006 at the Houston Museum of Natural Science in Texas (above). They found no sign of feathers; just smooth, scaly skin. They also analyzed skin impressions from large tyrannosaurs that lived around the same time, such as Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus. Like Wyrex, those dinosaurs were covered in scales, they report today in Biology Letters. So if these large tyrannosaurs had any feathers at all, says the team, their fluff would have been limited to their backs—the only body part for which they were lacking fossil impressions.Because their earlier cousins did have feathers, it’s likely that the large tyrannosaurs lost them somewhere along the way, the team suggests. It’s possible that the giants didn’t need feathery thermal insulation, as their bodies were better able to retain heat.

And yes humans are covered in hair, just varying thicknesses of it.

If they can make random hybrids they can give me a T rex with Dino fuzz.

Colin Trevorrow (director of Jurassic World) said the events happened but are not going to be addressed in Jurassic World.

Also the Masarani website for Juassic World addressed the escaped Pteranodon in JP3 proving the events of the other movies are still canon.
    http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/d...ity/index.html (skip the video and read down below)
    Fair enough.

Zoos and circuses have animal related incidents that result in the death of staff and guests all the time. They may get sued but no government agency is going to stop them from operating after a such accidents.

Dr. Wu would not go to jail for cloning dinosaurs because they killed people because someone mishandled them later thats fucking stupid.
    It's addressed several times how these animals aren't really considered anything else than intellectual property (it's kind of Crichton's point).

If a company makes a plane and it crashes, they're usually legally responsible. If it's a completely new technology, it may get banned or, at least, heavily restricted by the government. There really isn't a proper example because we haven't cloned many animals, and none of them have eaten anyone yet, but Jurassic Park isn't a zoo, and dinosaurs aren't animals that you can send to a reserve.

Of course, Masarani isn't InGen and it could be argued that they dodged some of these issues by simply being a different company.

It's hard to imagine how a situation like this would be handled in the real world, but it doesn't sound right that they were able to just open a new park after such tragedies.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Chickens have feathers, but not on legs which look reptilian. A dino similarly could have a bit of both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I thought the big fight at the end was pretty bad ass...

I liked how the lead scientist admitted that none of the dinosaurs at the park were authentic and that if they didn't redesign them, many of them would be unrecognizable to their audience.

10+ Year Old Account

If a company makes a plane and it crashes, they're usually legally responsible. If it's a completely new technology, it may get banned or, at least, heavily restricted by the government. There really isn't a proper example because we haven't cloned many animals, and none of them have eaten anyone yet, but Jurassic Park isn't a zoo, and dinosaurs aren't animals that you can send to a reserve.

Of course, Masarani isn't InGen and it could be argued that they dodged some of these issues by simply being a different company.

It's hard to imagine how a situation like this would be handled in the real world, but it doesn't sound right that they were able to just open a new park after such tragedies.
    Planes are heavily regulated because they are basically flying missiles where hundreds or thousands can be killed if one crashes its not even close to a zoo.

Jurassic World is obviously a zoo it fits the basic requirements of a zoo it has animals on display to the public.

The origin of the animals means nothing when considering the legal ramifications of the incidents.

We have had circus elephants go on rampages and kill and main dozens but remain in operation. Animal based attractions have very low governmental standards even in the US. Jurassic World would have even less since its on an Island off Costa Rica.

There would be lawsuits, fines and even possible legal prosecution of staff but they wouldn't close down. Specially a place like Jurassic World that was bringing in billions a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Chickens have feathers, but not on legs which look reptilian. A dino similarly could have a bit of both.
    Did you even read the link? The skin impressions are from several different parts of the body an adult Rex simply did not have feathers. Rex relatives like Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Gorgosaurus, and Tarbosaurus(Rex's closest relative) also have scaly impressions.

Rex may have even been larger than the current 42 foot estimate set by Sue. One found in 2001 is estimated at 47 feet long and another found in 09 is estimated at a massive 51 feet.

If the estimates on the second are correct the T Rex would be the second largest theropod dinosaur just behind Spinosaurus and larger than Carcharodontosaurus and Giganotosaurus.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2017-06-23 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From your own link.
    'We haven't found skin impressions of feathers on a T. rex for any spot on its body, except technically for these places, because we haven't found any skin impressions at all' should not be taken to mean 'these places most definitely had feathers.' That's analogous to saying the loch ness monster is real simply because every single square inch of the loch isn't being monitored at all times.

A tyrannosaurus would have had no need for feathers. Look at other large animals that live in warm environments: Rhinoceros, Elephants, hippopotami... (all of which are smaller than a tyrannosaurus by a great deal.) They have hardly, if any, hair. Why? Because large animals don't need insulation unless they live in the bleak tundra. In fact, they have trouble staying cool, not warm. Feathers would be a hindrance to that.

So, in essence, there is no fossil proof that Tyrannosaurus had feathers.

And yes humans are covered in hair, just varying thicknesses of it.
    Nowhere near the level of, say, a gorilla or chimpanzee.

If they can make random hybrids they can give me a T rex with Dino fuzz.
    Feathers are harder to CGI.

Plus, scaled T. Rexes look cooler. Just like all dinosaurs, dromeosaurs (or "raptors" to the layman) included.

Anywhoozles:

Jurassic world was just as dumb as I thought it'd be, so I really wasn't let down by it. That being said, it still fell very short of Jurassic Park, and I can't say I'm looking forward to another one. Jeff Golblum couldn't save Independence day 2, Sam Neil couldn't save Jurassic Park 3, so there's no reason for me to think Golblum can save a Jurassic World sequel that's just limping to the barn with him shoehorned in for the Nostalgia.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-06-24 at 12:55 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    You should read the book.

I for one don't really look at the movies as "cannon" except for maybe the first one.
    But that's because I read the book. Obv. I saw the second movie before I read the second book (age and interests and all) But when I got around to reading the book. I then noticed all the cheap movie-goer plot devises. Such as the whole "love story thing" between Malcom and Sarah, which in the book, is nothing like the movie.
    I do remember the first one being good. Been ages though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Changed the title.

Both books were really good. The first movie is one of the best movies made in the 90s. The second movie was okay, but deviated from the book in typical Hollywood fashion. I can't see JP: World existing in a world where JP3 happened. It'll be interesting to see how that can be canon and incorporated into JP:W but that's about the only interesting thing that can be said for JP:W2.

JP:World was a mindless film, just another big blockbuster which this time happened to have dinosaurs in it. I didn't really enjoy it much. The first movie has its flaws (like why Nedry has to get out the samples that night and not just like, 3 days later), but was a pretty tightly knit, consistent movie that actually got me interested in advanced mathematics and science as a teenager. It also made me gobble up all of Crichton's books. The newest film doesn't set up any expectations from me for the 2nd in the reboot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The first movie has its flaws (like why Nedry has to get out the samples that night and not just like, 3 days later)
    Because the storage device (the whipped cream can) had limited power.....?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Because the storage device (the whipped cream can) had limited power.....?
    .......if you're committing corporate espionage worth billions, you could probably make it to the mainland next week and get another one. It's a McGuffin of the first order.

10+ Year Old Account
    staaahhhp

/staaaaap
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset