Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Which you have to pay for. That at least cuts down on the people who would get it.

Why the f would some random need to know my voting habits anyways? Or the last 4 digits of my ss number? Or where I live?
    First off, in the letter that was posted here, they are requesting records that are public under the laws of the state (of Connecticut).

Secondly, they are not requesting information on who you actually voted for, it is only information on whether or not you actively voted. There is no record of who anyone actually voted for, it is a secret ballot.

I suppose it is up to the individual states as to whether this information exists as public record, and there is nothing wrong with this commission requesting public records. If people have a problem with this information existing, then the problem is with their individual state and how that state deals with the information.

Its also useful to point out that the election sites are run by volunteers. The actual mechanics of the election are extremely haphazard, it isn't like there is a meticulous government agency that shows up and professionally conducts everything. I suppose the decentralized chaos of the process actually makes an organized effort to tamper with an election very difficult.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    So we know that the Russians were able to go in and delete people from the voter registration roles. Now Trump wants a comprehensive list of voters and who they voted for?
    You should tell that story to CNN, perhaps they can cook more on it to further their ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    First off, in the letter that was posted here, they are requesting records that are public under the laws of the state (of Connecticut).

Secondly, they are not requesting information on who you actually voted for, it is only information on whether or not you actively voted. There is no record of who anyone actually voted for, it is a secret ballot.

I suppose it is up to the individual states as to whether this information exists as public record, and there is nothing wrong with this commission requesting public records. If people have a problem with this information existing, then the problem is with their individual state and how that state deals with the information.

Its also useful to point out that the election sites are run by volunteers. The actual mechanics of the election are extremely haphazard, it isn't like there is a meticulous government agency that shows up and professionally conducts everything. I suppose the decentralized chaos of the process actually makes an organized effort to tamper with an election very difficult.

I was wrong on who, but most of the others are only public if you pay for it, and SS numbers are never public. A price tag discourages people that don't really need the information. True public is how mods get pizzas sent to their apartments by annoyed people

Not to mention you should never trust a guy who courts have determined to have misled the court on voting matters due to his bias. Nor a guy who thinks the only reason he lost the pop vote is cuz " the evil illegals!"
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-06-30 at 05:31 AM.

New York says no.

Oklahoma says no, at least to Social Security numbers.

Trump's fragile ego just can't take the fact that most people voted again him in the election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFoMoCoMan View Post
    They aren't asking for that information.

This is how misinformation gets started.
    They are asking for social security numbers and voting history... it's right there in the letter.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Yeah the Orange Turd appointed this piece of shit awhile back I was expecting something like this. Every rational person knows that 3 million or whatever number they pulled from their ass was not going to be a true number. What I did expect though was this guy, Kris Kobach a person who suppresses votes, to look into a way to purge more voters of the list.

I see some states already saying "no" to Trump. What is scary is the deep red states (well they are a lost cause) and some purple states or states with Republican control or Sec. of State will give info. Again, 50 states would be great for voter suppression, but if they can get states such as Michican, Wisconsin and others. They would be happy with those.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2017-06-30 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFoMoCoMan View Post
    I would think people would be fine with the government investigating the "Russian meddling" into our election.

I have news for you, the federal government already has all the information on you they are requesting anyway.
    This isn't investigating the Russia meddling. This is the orange menace appointing a conspiracy theorist who has been fined for lying about voter laws in court to investigated his claims that 3-5 million people voted illegally to make him lose the popular vote.

To quote one of the states who declined him, "At best this is a massive waste of time and money. At worst this is an attempt at widespread voter suppression". This is not about anything close to a legitimate investigation.

The government does not have readily available access to my personal information for no reason. And they have no reason to ask for it now. Especially not some random crack pot appointed to an illegitimate investigation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Great on President Donald Trump to investigate the matter of voter fraud.

European countries ensure a credible voting system, so should the USA.
    Our voting is also not public, but good try.

How about a big "fuck no".

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    This isn't investigating the Russia meddling. This is the orange menace appointing a conspiracy theorist who has been fined for lying about voter laws in court to investigated his claims that 3-5 million people voted illegally to make him lose the popular vote.

To quote one of the states who declined him, "At best this is a massive waste of time and money. At worst this is an attempt at widespread voter suppression". This is not about anything close to a legitimate investigation.

The government does not have readily available access to my personal information for no reason. And they have no reason to ask for it now. Especially not some random crack pot appointed to an illegitimate investigation.
    Again, we can look at Trump and say "He is a crazy motherfucker." The more scary part is this will be used for voter suppression and to purge voters. My best bet is them finding voter registration in multiple states and thus purging those people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    How about a big "fuck no".
    @Skroe. This is being pushed also by Pence and Kobach. Two of your Republicans. I cannot believe your party would rather purge voters than to work for their vote.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2f9a8e2176e0

The article isn't that long, but here is the actual letters sent to the states and leaked by the Connecticut Secretary of State:

Here is the biggest thing out of this (my emphasis):

Ignoring voter suppression, this would be a really bad idea in terms of identity theft. All that info, public and in one place is just a buffet for identity theives.

As of this writing, the states of California, Virginia, and Connecticut have declined to hand over the information.

And to those stating it's already publicly available, it is, but behind a pay-wall.
    Identity thieves have no means of getting behind a pay wall? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    There is nothing they can pay the government to get my SSN.

- - - Updated - - -

No, what looks bad is the thing who debases the office constantly.
    What are you on about? Your post has nothing to do with my quote. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post

@Skroe. This is being pushed also by Pence and Kobach. Two of your Republicans. I cannot believe your party would rather purge voters than to work for their vote.
    I can. At the state level, voter ID laws (among other things) have been a blatant attempt to suppress minority voting. Voter fraud is not empirically supported or statistically significantly. They know this. Everyone knows this. They do it anyway. I've been saying that for litterally years (go read comments I've made in various voter ID threads).

I strongly believe conservative principles can win on their own. But a healthy sum of conservatives got mixed up in ethno-nationalism. Voter ID laws are just a "keep voting America white" tactic, rather than do the honorable thing and sell conservative principles to minorities.

History rarely provides clear examples. In the 17 year long saga of Republicans and Hispanics, it have given a clear one. Bush won a lot of them in 2000 and 2004. Karl Rove, with his "big tent Republican party" plan made a concerted effort to make Hispanics a core Republican voting constituency. My family is hispanic. And I can tell you, the way family and family values plays a role dovetails with Conservatism. Add to that, religion... hispanics are religious. Seems like a match made in heavy.

Republicans blew it in 2008. They blew it in 2012. The Party re-identified attracting latinos in the 2012 post-mortem written by Reince Preibus. They knew. And then... I remember it happening in real time as that post-mortem came out. The ethno-nationalist tide washed over the party as old voices - the Rush Limbaugh and such -
    started to talk about illegal immigration. Code word: keep Hispanics out of our party and keep Hispanics out of the Democratic voter rolls too.

It's just been disgusting to me. White Republicans rather Latino Americans not vote at all, then attract them to vote.

This is why I've been egging on a Republican Civil War for years. Many conservatives know the ethnonationalist wing is literally dying off and anything involving "Voter fraud" and "voter id" is just an attempt to delay the Democratic "Demographics is Destiny" from happening, which is still absolutely true. It doesn't have to be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I can. At the state level, voter ID laws (among other things) have been a blatant attempt to suppress minority voting. Voter fraud is not empirically supported or statistically significantly. They know this. Everyone knows this. They do it anyway. I've been saying that for litterally years (go read comments I've made in various voter ID threads).

I strongly believe conservative principles can win on their own. But a healthy sum of conservatives got mixed up in ethno-nationalism. Voter ID laws are just a "keep voting America white" tactic, rather than do the honorable thing and sell conservative principles to minorities.

History rarely provides clear examples. In the 17 year long saga of Republicans and Hispanics, it have given a clear one. Bush won a lot of them in 2000 and 2004. Karl Rove, with his "big tent Republican party" plan made a concerted effort to make Hispanics a core Republican voting constituency. My family is hispanic. And I can tell you, the way family and family values plays a role dovetails with Conservatism. Add to that, religion... hispanics are religious. Seems like a match made in heavy.

Republicans blew it in 2008. They blew it in 2012. The Party re-identified attracting latinos in the 2012 post-mortem written by Reince Preibus. They knew. And then... I remember it happening in real time as that post-mortem came out. The ethno-nationalist tide washed over the party as old voices - the Rush Limbaugh and such -
    started to talk about illegal immigration. Code word: keep Hispanics out of our party and keep Hispanics out of the Democratic voter rolls too.

It's just been disgusting to me. White Republicans rather Latino Americans not vote at all, then attract them to vote.

This is why I've been egging on a Republican Civil War for years. Many conservatives know the ethnonationalist wing is literally dying off and anything involving "Voter fraud" and "voter id" is just an attempt to delay the Democratic "Demographics is Destiny" from happening, which is still absolutely true. It doesn't have to be that way.
    I rail on Republicans and conservatives, so I seem like one of them libbbbbbberals. I just think it is best that both parties actually work to get people into their tent than suppress the vote. Now to be fair the Dems push lets say for the Latino vote (I know and u know fastest growing demographic) and champion a very "liberal" immigration policy. Plus I could get into my pro-business, cheap labor rant of both parties and their loyalty to business over people. I'll stop.

The sort of cheeking narrative being said before this Trump election that 2020 was probably the last stand of the White Voter, due to change in demographics. Of course I do not have to argue with you and go on a rant about why some people voted for Trump in fear of change more than anything. So yeah I do not get the strategy of trying to stay on demographic and not reach out. I would think this would be common sense failure.

Its funny I would have a go back with @Wells about Hispanics/Latinos are drawn to conservatism because of religion. Also that most came from such corrupt governments their natural distrust for government interfering with their lives. Sort of a thing Republicans love to talk about. Wells argued that was not the case. I say that it as a natural fit/attraction toward the Republican Party. Instead Republicans would rather torch the whole city just so they can suppress minority vote and keep going to the well of white voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free solution... absentee voting for all. Solves every issue Trump/GOP has with voting...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Free solution... absentee voting for all. Solves every issue Trump/GOP has with voting...
    No, the issue Trump/GOP has with voting is that the "wrong" people are allowed to vote for the "wrong" party.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I rail on Republicans and conservatives, so I seem like one of them libbbbbbberals. I just think it is best that both parties actually work to get people into their tent than suppress the vote. Now to be fair the Dems push lets say for the Latino vote (I know and u know fastest growing demographic) and champion a very "liberal" immigration policy. Plus I could get into my pro-business, cheap labor rant of both parties and their loyalty to business over people. I'll stop.

The sort of cheeking narrative being said before this Trump election that 2020 was probably the last stand of the White Voter, due to change in demographics. Of course I do not have to argue with you and go on a rant about why some people voted for Trump in fear of change more than anything. So yeah I do not get the strategy of trying to stay on demographic and not reach out. I would think this would be common sense failure.

Its funny I would have a go back with @Wells about Hispanics/Latinos are drawn to conservatism because of religion. Also that most came from such corrupt governments their natural distrust for government interfering with their lives. Sort of a thing Republicans love to talk about. Wells argued that was not the case. I say that it as a natural fit/attraction toward the Republican Party. Instead Republicans would rather torch the whole city just so they can suppress minority vote and keep going to the well of white voters.
    Yep.

I just want to underscore, as a Republican and Conservative how scary and blatantly racist the push back to the 2012 post-mortem was. The second Preibus put in it "we have to reach out to Latinos", exactly the people you'd expect basically went to Defcon 1 and as a very conscious and clear counter-push, argued that instead Republicans must focus Illegal Immigration.

It was so galling because it was legitimately like a light switch. Illegal immigration went from being "a thing" to the centerpiece, because it was about keeping Brown people out of a hugely White party, the end. And yes, many Republicans and Conservatives were disgusted with it too.

And you know the best part? Not content with the horror of blatant anti-latino racism enough, when messy statistics like falling illegal immigration under Obama came into play, they consciously imported European anti-muslim immigrant problems - distinct to Europe - in a kind of wink-wink-nudge-nudge they knew was bullshit but was succor to the rubes who think ISIS is going to invade Wichita and gang rape their virgin (right...) daughters or something. Of course the little differences between the US and Euroope of land connections to Syria vs the Atlantic ocean were swept aside in them grafting fear onto hate.

I think historians when they look back at how Trump happened 30 years from now, will see the seeds of it, directly, in response to the 2012 post-Mortem. The powers that be in the Republican Party said "we must change", the ethnonationalists (who were always that before being conservative) said "like hell", and the establishment failed to stand up to them. THe result was the fertile soil Putin's Bitch grew in.

The great tragedy is that a reformed conservatism could win on it's merits, uncluttered from that nonsense.