Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Never stayed a hotel I see....
    HOSTEL ... not hotel

Never stayed a hotel I see....
    Had to google that myself, Hostels are apparently closer to motels.

I would wonder why they would use "hostel" though, when a quick search is showing that's more used in Europe? I'll admit I'm ignorant in that field, but like I said, they sound exactly like motels.

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    Facebook

Google

Microsoft

Apple

Four companies started with nearly zero initial investment and all huge as fuck
    I think it's naïve to think like that. For one successful author, there are many who will never earn anything. For every successful actor that quit school at 15 and made it big in Hollywood, there are many who will never do the same. For every Eminem, there are countless others who will never earn the same fame. Sure, it's nice to read about people who made something out of nothing - the winners - but for every winner, there are countless losers.
    Edit:
    That goes for companies too, for every Apple/Miscrosoft/Google/Facebook, how many companies die?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except as he said if there was no one to hire because everyone opened a company then you would have to have wages high enough to actually entice someone to work for you.

And bullshit personal services always go down .. I offer personal services and people pay well for it and I have plenty of clients enough to keep my employees employed and myself fed.
    Question is now, do you live in this state that is of the question? And it isn't really bullshit. As well, if everyone opened a company, then you would have to offer your service cheaper maybe because you happened to be one of many of same product, within this state.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

I would wonder why they would use "hostel" though, when a quick search is showing that's more used in Europe? I'll admit I'm ignorant in that field, but like I said, they sound exactly like motels.
    I thought it was a typo lol.

Ya and they likely cost the same amount or near it as well. His little list is a fantasy or came from the 1970's (or early'er).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I thought it was a typo lol.

Ya and they likely cost the same amount or near it as well. His little list is a fantasy or came from the 1970's (or early'er).
    No a Hostel is usually a shared bunk bed style accommodation and yes they usually cost $10 or less a night

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Question is now, do you live in this state that is of the question? And it isn't really bullshit. As well, if everyone opened a company, then you would have to offer your service cheaper maybe because you happened to be one of many of same product, within this state.
    Why would I only provide services to the state I live in? We live in a computer age where I can market anywhere in the world not just Arizona or Missouri

Why should flipping hamburgers pay for a family with a reasonable life? It's entry level work that's why, learn something useful and move up. Get a tiny bit of ambition and do more you can do it don't need the government holding your hand.
    They are no entry level jobs. Minimum wage jobs make up a huge part of the job market, high paying jobs don't grow on trees. That's not how market works.

All these jobs are necessary jobs that somebody has to do, but for some reason people think the people working them deserve to be poor.

Not every job is going to pay a living wage. If it doesn't work for you find another one
    Every job should be paying living wages. Every person working and contributing to society deserves to feed their family.

I think every corporation was started by a person with ambition and an idea. New ones are created every day and grow to huge companies.
    And the majority fail. You think there is room for 100 million internet companies in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Which would be stupid considering each city has different needs. Stanford, Texas has a MUCH lower COL than say, Austin Texas. Also 2 very different environments and populations.
    Im talking about City laws i can have a gun in one city not the other beer in one city not the other its god damn dumb And city Pop would not make that much bigger of a deal.

Not even teenagers will want to work for such shit wages.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    That's a fact, but let me guess, right wing media told you he is well respected and a titan of the field?
    Its not a fact at all, but let me guess, the left wing media told you he isnt well respected and not a titan of the field?

Wow look at me, I can do it to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I only provide services to the state I live in? We live in a computer age where I can market anywhere in the world not just Arizona or Missouri
    Because within this thread, we're talking about this state mentioned. You cannot provide a service outside your state without having the product, capital or initiative to do so. Heck, the minimum wage seem to be going so low, that if one is trying to start a company, their own fonds run out much faster due to not having much in the first place. The market isn't that void, you know, most things of services can already be found cheaper elsewhere as well.

Not really a solution to start a company just because the local government has no idea of what they are doing.

As well, not everyone has, or can find, the drive for running a business.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It is revealing about some people and the utter lack of experience with poverty.
    Tell me about it. I lived off of canned beans and water for two years. Didn't have a fridge either. My main luxury was my pet cat which kept me sane. I had no income to be able to move in any capacity due to the way housing and renting works (here's your trailer, but first we'll need a significant deposit, and no you cant get loan, you dont make enough) Why? Local businesses paid poorly, no one was hiring, those who were wouldn't hire full time. Even if I could have accrued experience it wouldn't have done me much of any good. Meanwhile my health continued to atrophy and I bet this "pulling myself up by the boot straps" moment cut off a few years from my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

They are somewhat rare in the US and also tend to be exceptionally dangerous.

Annamarine is talking out their ass pretty heavy.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If there is a need for wages below a living wage, I would claim it is better to allow for specific and special dispensations to drop wages below the minimum rather than drop the minimum itself.

Is the problem getting young people a job because they have no prior experience? Legislate that people below 2x years can be paid 77% of minimum wage.

Changing the minimum wage itself changes the entire labor market radically. If there is a specific problem to solve, use specific solutions.
    You are right. One of the things that actually kept my younger plans about moving to the US, in check. A paper route in my country, earns more than the US minimum wage. Even a fast food employee, earns more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    They are somewhat rare in the US and also tend to be exceptionally dangerous.

Annamarine is talking out their ass pretty heavy.
    They are a newly added thing in the US, they have it more as a statement. Though, in the EU they are quite common and secure, some even quite nice but not something for long time living.. Maximum a week, I would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I'll keep it simple for you. Retail and Service jobs our are new manufacturing jobs. The Trumpkins, who cry about jobs were same people who got these jobs out of high school or less. Same with the coal cry babies. Skills learned were on the job training.

Once again these jobs are not coming back; basic manufacturing and coal. We are a consumer nation. So these same people turn to retail and service.

5 of America's fastest growing jobs pay less than $25,000
    Oh I'm on board and totally understand I was mostly just being a sarcastic dick.

Yeah, manufacturing in mass scale is a dying thing in the US. Most jobs will be replaced by retail, small scale private manufactuing making "craft" goods etc, possibly a small re emergence of local skill makers. Code/Tech jobs are the real replacement for manufacturing it just requires a lot more time investment instead of getting that on the job training. Which is a dead thing in the market as most jobs want someone who is already trained so they don't have to bare the burden of the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Conservatives all about small government -- unless a state, county, or city tries to do something they don't like. Then it's as big of a government as is needed to ensure their views are followed.

Conservatives are all about personal responsibility and not giving handouts -- unless a business wants to have their labor subsidized by the taxpayers then they simply ask how large of a check to write.

The hypocrisy of it all would be laughable if it wasn't so dangerous.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much. Missouri is about as conservative and southern as you can get in the US.
    This a thousand times over. How obvious and often do we see this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why should flipping hamburgers pay for a family with a reasonable life? It's entry level work that's why, learn something useful and move up. Get a tiny bit of ambition and do more you can do it don't need the government holding your hand.
    Why shouldn't people whom are able to actually work, not be permitted to earn a wage enough for them and their family? Doesn't have to be enough for house and car, but still a living is something all deserves. Your statement about an intro level job, I guess covers recreational staff too? Customer service staff? Really, if a person can work 7½-9½ hours a day, that should be the unlock for them to have a fair living.

10+ Year Old Account
    People will work for $10/hr. Those same people will simply stop working and go on welfare for $7.70 because it affords them a better life than working 160 hours a month for poverty wages.

- Fast food jobs make up less than 20% of all minimum wage jobs.

- Less than half of all fast food employees are 16-24.

- About 30% of all non-private business owners in the US work for minimum wage.

Vaulting the minimum wage quickly and pushing through to $15 an hour, EVERYWHERE in a few years is not going to have pleasant effects. The wage needs to go up, but at a much slower pace, so businesses can adjust. I'm fairly tired of the constant, self-important bitching from small business owners, but they're right on this point.

Greitens is the face of modern identity politics and he's been a total disaster since taking office. This move is obviously myopic and as always, has nothing to do with what's right or even economics but with purposely harming a subset of ordinary Americans that his base hates (self loathing, in many cases) for political clout.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

I hate to say that such crap being done by government gives organized crime a good name.

Why shouldn't people whom are able to actually work, not be permitted to earn a wage enough for them and their family? Doesn't have to be enough for house and car, but still a living is something all deserves. Your statement about an intro level job, I guess covers recreational staff too? Customer service staff? Really, if a person can work 7½-9½ hours a day, that should be the unlock for them to have a fair living.
    No a fair living comes once you have enough skills to offer someone to pay you more. Just "working" isn't enough. How many of you have been to a much poorer country like Ukraine? You realize the average wages in a place like that are around $150 a month and far below a living wage but people manage to survive. How through efficient use of resources. Many more people live with their parents even after they have kids. Many more farm and trade good amazing what the community does and survives but nope in USA everyone need to earn enough to live alone all by themselves and not have help from anyone.

How do I know this? My wife is a Ukrainian and I have experienced it first hand. How can they do it and you can't?

There is a common mindset you need to keep aware of in the US. Its the mindset that many people deserve to suffer. That anyone who is not doing well is not doing well because they are simply a bad person in some way. Alongside this mindset are three things:
    1. By trying hard, no matter what you are doing, you will succeed and be wealthy and happy.
    2. While other people who suffer, suffer because they're lazy or stupid. If you yourself are suffering? It's someone elses fault.
    3. The politicians who say they are the most morale are the ones who have your best interests in mind. Even if their actions are anything but.

Its how certain peoples will constantly and consistently vote against their best interests time and time again. Because its not their fault things are bad, its not the politicians fault: after all, these are the politicians they voted for and those politicians are always talking about how moral they are. Its all those other lazy people bringing honest, hard working people down.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg