Page 32 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    You can sue a media company for threatening to use their power to destroy you, unless you do what they say, yes. Of course. It's blackmail.
    In the USA, you can sue a media company for being lizard people from the mining colonies on Venus.

Doesn't mean you aren't nuts, or that your complaint has any validity. And this wasn't "blackmail", unless you expand that definition to the point of uselessness, where any negative consequence for any action is "blackmail".

Edit: As Ninespine listed below, all you're doing is attacking the freedom of the press.

You can sue a media company for threatening to use their power to destroy you, unless you do what they say, yes. Of course. It's blackmail.
    No, you cannot sue a media company for threatening to publish public information about you. That's called freedom of the press.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Nothing wrong with this the soonrr the internrt catch up to the real world the better. Anonimity doesent apply to stuff on an internet page anymore then yelling it on the sidewalker. It apply when you speak to your doctor or send personal informations to the governement or a company. Hell even your love one can rat you out inside your own home. Stop trying to live in a lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He's far too worried about his identity becoming public to ever sue anyone. I guess that's what happens when you are a closet bigot and don't want your life ruined by the extent of your bigotry becoming public. It's all on him for revealing his identity with his posts though. Had he never revealed those personal details nobody would know who this troll is.
    Yeah, exactly, let me live in a land of the free where we can all spew vile shit and complain about it until one person winds up stepping on their own dicks like this arrogant anti semetic 15 year old. The real Irony is all the lawyers that might have to sift through his history and opinions concerning the Jews.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The level of heat over this topic is sooo telling. The left is so crazed, that they are even outraged that someone might print a story that makes CNN look bad. The Mediacrat party is an actual thing. The Democrats, and the media, are attached like Siamese twins. If you attack CNN, you just attacked every Democrat alive, in their minds.

10+ Year Old Account
    The level of heat over this topic is sooo telling. The left is so crazed, that they are even outraged that someone might print a story that makes CNN look bad. The Mediacrat party is an actual thing. The Democrats, and the media, are attached like Siamese twins. If you attack CNN, you just attacked every Democrat alive, in their minds.
    Literally the only ones making this about politics, party affiliation, or left/right anything, is you folks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You have to manipulate the definition such that any known consequence for any behaviour is "blackmail". So the owner of the restaurant you're patronizing telling you that "if you won't stop screaming, you'll have to leave", that guy's "blackmailing" you.

That's obviously nonsense.
    Now try it like this - "if you won't stop screaming, and don't give an apology we'll reveal your identity to millions of people, out of which a good number are willing to assault you. Needless to say this will make you unemployable, effectively ruining your life. If you ever start screaming again we'll also reveal your identity."

If it weren't for that stupid comment that was left in their article where they "reserve the right to publish his identity should any of that change" you wouldn't have all these blackmail claims but as it stands right now they are holding that over his head as a threat were he to ever make a CNN meme.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    No, you cannot sue a media company for threatening to publish public information about you. That's called freedom of the press.
    The poster has free speech as well. Privacy laws are a thing. CNN does not have the same rights to report things about private citizens, as they do about public officials. All those juicy exemptions from libel and slander do not apply to this poster.

@Tijuana still waiting on how there was legal blackmail.

Yes. What is your point. The press is not free from criticism in a free society. Just because they are the press, they are awarded no extra rights in regards to laws over blackmail and privacy.
    My point is that such memes incite or at least normalise violence against the press. This is bad, because the freedom of the press is essential for the freedom of speech of the society at large, considering that getting your message out requires some form of medium. Intimidating journalists, then, threatens not only their freedom of speech but of all those who would use them to reach an audience.

The press, in short, deserves both extra protection and extra caution. Those tweets that started this whole affairs were very, very carelessly worded and while I do not think they constitute blackmail, there is a very fine line. They can be twisted to mean blackmail. They should have run them through their counsel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have absolutely no problem with exposing trolls.

However I do think it's funny CNN used resources to find and threaten to expose a troll over some stupid shit like this. Can you imagine if Jordan wanted to expose everyone who creates a crying jordan meme? Maybe it's older generations or something but regardless of politics, did anyone look at the trump/cnn/wwe meme and think that it was way over the line? I feel we see way worse shit almost daily when it comes to trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you say so, guy. Sure, main stream media outlets, many of them unbiased, are reporting these facts. You can choose to not believe them, but that doesn't have any actual bearing on if they are true or not.
    They may be biased but most at the very least are shallow greedy sensationalist hacks willing to sell their grandmothers to get higher ratings, but even they have standards, well not high ones, but at least they don't out and out lie.

Oh and yes I have actually seen the post where a date was specifically picked out yesterday, to lead the rally for this campaign. It's made up.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    What about those of us on the left
    Cool, so am i.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    regressive SJW's are as nutty as the Zionist Conspiracy guys in the alt-right?
    These people are an extremely small group, and nobody actually takes them seriously except SJW's.
    Same SJW's who put's everyone who is even slightly leaning right into "nazi" groups, only to then go out there attacking supposed nazis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. I'm a leftist and I hate CNN. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't this his right to privacy grants him a right to anonymity.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    Now try it like this - "if you won't stop screaming, and don't give an apology we'll reveal your identity to millions of people, out of which a good number are willing to assault you. Needless to say this will make you unemployable, effectively ruining your life. If you ever start screaming again we'll also reveal your identity."

If it weren't for that stupid comment that was left in their article where they "reserve the right to publish his identity should any of that change" you wouldn't have all these blackmail claims but as it stands right now they are holding that over his head as a threat were he to ever make a CNN meme.
    Johnny Cochran just got on a plane. I give this until the end of the week before we see a press conference announcing a law suit.

Holy shit, Trump actually tweeted that video? Congrats US, your president acts like fucking toddler on social media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    I have been called a dumbass before and the other poster didn't receive an infraction back then either. It's not a bias thing, it's not infractions worthy.
    He did get an infraction for flaming though.
    It is certainly a bias thing. I see it all the time here, I just like to point out the hypocrisy. I guarantee that if a go around calling left leaning people dumbasses that I would be infracted.

Infracted for forbidden topics. Discussing moderation.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2017-07-05 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Nope, based on the article from CNN themselves they threatened to dox him.

Seems like blackmail to me, should be a crime.
    They're reporters. They could just publish the dudes info because you know...they can do that. Not blackmail, its within their rights to do it, they just know its a dick thing to do, so they held it over the dudes head.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    And?

The guy's message reached those same millions. The only person who would have made this guy "unemployable" is himself, by his own actions; blaming CNN for exposing that is pretty damn ridiculous.

I mean, I disagree that it would render him unemployable, to begin with, even if it did come out. But if it did, it's because he's facing the conseqeuences of his own behaviour.

The poster has free speech as well. Privacy laws are a thing. CNN does not have the same rights to report things about private citizens, as they do about public officials. All those juicy exemptions from libel and slander do not apply to this poster.
    This is simply not true. You have no idea how the law works.