Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If they think theres enough of a market there more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What is cleaner than a horse? Do you get it now? If you set your goal to "clean" this is what you get. Electric engines are not clean, they are just a bit cleaner, and less powerful - do you see the trend?
    I'm yet to see a horse doing 0 to 60 under 3 seconds.

The last interesting and visually appealing Volvo stopped production in '73. They can phase themselves out entirely as a company, and I wouldn't give a shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    That's because horses realize that 0-60 is one of the dumbest measures of vehicular performance available.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The last interesting and visually appealing Volvo stopped production in '73. They can phase themselves out entirely as a company, and I wouldn't give a shit.

- - - Updated - - -

That's because horses realize that 0-60 is one of the dumbest measures of vehicular performance available.
    Do you prefer 0-100? Top speed? Range? Comfort? Safety?

For performance cars, 20-90 and / or 30-120, 60-0, 90-0, 120-0 (these 3 are very much tied to safety), slalom and skidpad are all far more interesting performance specs in my eyes, as are lap times around the same track in reasonably consistent conditions. Brake fade and potential overheating are good ones to look at as well, though some of this criteria isn't relevant to a grocery getter.

Raw top speed is just bragging rights, as is 1/4 mile times. My big complaint with relying on 0-60 is that for combustion vehicles, it's almost entirely down to traction and how the car's geared. A short geared car is going to have to shift before hitting 60, where another vehicle might not.

Not everyone will agree with me however, and I don't think I'd call myself a typical auto shopper with what my priorities are. I like trunk space but have no use for a rear seat, will absolutely sacrifice comfort for seating support, have zero use for even a radio in a car, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    For performance cars, 20-90 and / or 30-120, 60-0, 90-0, 120-0 (these 3 are very much tied to safety), slalom and skidpad are all far more interesting performance specs in my eyes, as are lap times around the same track in reasonably consistent conditions. Brake fade and potential overheating are good ones to look at as well, though some of this criteria isn't relevant to a grocery getter.

Raw top speed is just bragging rights, as is 1/4 mile times. My big complaint with relying on 0-60 is that for combustion vehicles, it's almost entirely down to traction and how the car's geared. A short geared car is going to have to shift before hitting 60, where another vehicle might not.

Not everyone will agree with me however, and I don't think I'd call myself a typical auto shopper with what my priorities are. I like trunk space but have no use for a rear seat, will absolutely sacrifice comfort for seating support, have zero use for even a radio in a car, etc etc.
    So, in which category do you find horses more efficient than a Tesla?

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What is cleaner than a horse? Do you get it now? If you set your goal to "clean" this is what you get. Electric engines are not clean, they are just a bit cleaner, and less powerful - do you see the trend?
    You totally need a 5,000,000,000,000,000,000 horsepower car to go to the grocery store. MOOOOOOOOAR POWA!!!

And they are significantly cleaner, and more pleasant to drive for anyone who already has a moderately sized dick.

The issue I have is: how is the electricity generated that charge the cars? I mean if the combustion is removed from the cars, then it will be done elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Hybrids still use a internal combustion engine as a backup. So the title is misleading if it means they are going to still have hybrids in 2019. Should read; " Volvo to phase out cars with only combustion engines." :P
    Don't all electric car engines have a combustion backup?

If your car breaks down you could hitch it to a horse so technically we never phased out the horse and carriage too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Highest speed limit in the US is 85 mph (137 kmh). Top speed is impractical.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Don't all electric car engines have a combustion backup?

If your car breaks down you could hitch it to a horse so technically we never phased out the horse and carriage too.
    Not the Tesla series. They are a battery and motor. If there battery dies, the car doesn't move. It also loses performance at lower amounts of charge

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's trolling. Lithium ion batteries can't leak.
    Hopefully they are well insulated, one decent impact and you have a fire ball

Tesla's model S right now... has a battery warranty of 8 years.... barring its misuse or from accident..... at which point out of pocket it will cost you as of today 45k.... so hope you don't wreck your battery! When electric trucks can transport 4500kg like my diesel over 400km with 12 hrs of idling in a day in -30 to -40 C i will buy one, till then i will stick to the ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Hopefully they are well insulated, one decent impact and you have a fire ball
    They are fire resistant. You won't have a fireball. There was a case in 2013 where the battery did catch fire. The car told the driver to stop and get out of the car and they were not hurt. You're about 5 times more likely to have a fire in a gasoline powered car.

Newer lithium batteries are coming that can literally be cut, punctured and have pieces broken off of them and they don't catch fire and still function.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    This graph only shows the range with a constant speed. In reality you have to break and accelerate all the time, severly reducing the range.
    Much less so in the case of electrics (or even just hybrids), due to regenerative braking. Stop and go is something they excel at, exactly the opposite of ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Before. The model 3 starts at $35K and is available now.
    Available for order. They're expecting the first one to roll off the assembly line on Friday and the first 30 to be in their owners' hands by the end of the month. Then they say they'll have 100 built in August, 1500 in September, ramping up to 20k/month in December.

According to what I can find, there are currently over 400,000 preorders, so that's about a 2 year waiting list if you order one right now. Not a prospect for the impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    So battery acid is not corrosive and dangerous.
    Tesla and everyone else uses Li-ion or Ni-MH batteries, not lead-acid, so there isn't any acid to leak.
    Last edited by Masark; 2017-07-06 at 03:54 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Global warming arguments aside, advances in battery and renewable electricity technology will drive prices low enough that it will be cheaper than fossil fuels. And that's all the industry and consumers ultimately care about.

What I'm interested in is if/when automated car technology will become required once it's clear that self-driving cars obliterate vehicular death rates.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Reasonable ..... 35k. #alluvmywhut
    in 2010, i bought a brand new hyundai accent for 9900 dollars. The thing practically ran on fumes.
    Get me an electric car for sub-10k US dollars, and we'll talk.
    I remember when the base Accent model was around 7k, now you can't even get one for under 10k brand new. The base model cars were good value but had almost nothing in them.

Gas is reliable and stable. It is also safe and easy to handle.
    Batteries are unreliable, degrading, loosing charge, depending on temperature, relying on electronics to not randomly explode and generally unsafe.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's trolling. Lithium ion batteries can't leak.
    Yeah, right. They don't explode either.
    That was not even my point. But do you really need such acceleration for your grocery runs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    You totally need a 5,000,000,000,000,000,000 horsepower car to go to the grocery store. MOOOOOOOOAR POWA!!!

And they are significantly cleaner, and more pleasant to drive for anyone who already has a moderately sized dick.
    I walk to get my groceries. I'm clean.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by fotmyo View Post
    electric cars are a meme tbh
    The only meme is that some fools on the internet started calling everything they disagree with a meme now.

Cringeworthy.

Also why the fuck would volvo do that. Around here they are know to build oversized super heavy cars like modern SUVs before they were even invented. Worst starting point for an electric vehicle.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-07-06 at 06:40 AM.

Never thought I'd use the phrase "why are people so but hurt over this?" but it seems fitting. It's a great thing what Volvo is doing. Electric cars seems to be the future and they perform quite good to be honest. Surely they can become better. I do not understand why people are negative about this shift? If you were forced to use a inferior car due to regulations then I'd get it but this is just progress. They're making better electric cars than before and while they might not fit your demands just yet, I'm sure they will in the future, and maybe exceed them? Be happy for the progress, eventually you'll have even better cars then currently. Until then, drive whatever you want, nothing is stopping you (except if you're driving a tank, I guess!).
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Never thought I'd use the phrase "why are people so but hurt over this?" but it seems fitting. It's a great thing what Volvo is doing. Electric cars seems to be the future and they perform quite good to be honest. Surely they can become better. I do not understand why people are negative about this shift? If you were forced to use a inferior car due to regulations then I'd get it but this is just progress. They're making better electric cars than before and while they might not fit your demands just yet, I'm sure they will in the future, and maybe exceed them? Be happy for the progress, eventually you'll have even better cars then currently. Until then, drive whatever you want, nothing is stopping you (except if you're driving a tank, I guess!).
    Oh please, Volvo is just trying to cash in on the fad.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side