Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    Can someone give me an example of how the game punishes you for doing something wrong? I feel like everything so far is just endless easy mod grind, besides heroic/mythic raiding. Leveling to 110 was a joke, don't think I died ones... it was a short grind anyways. World quests are so easy I think you can complete most of them on auto attack same with regular dungeons. It feels like the game just wants me to login every now and then to do whatever I have to do and logout, nothing else... I feel like the only punishment I can find is waiting for everything to reset, my 2 cents.
    Back in TBC there was punishment for dying vs both mobs and players in world pvp by having long 2-5mins corpse run.

But back in WOTLK corpse running speed was increased, and in Cataclysm not only corpse running speed was increased even more but also alot of graveyards was added, so corpse running became way more faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm going to presume that the OP meant exactly what was written. We see that exact language often enough here. Hardcore advocates that would like to see loss of gear, permanent death, etc. aren't all that rare.
    Dont put words in people's mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndogg View Post
    They tried this when they introduced the mob scaling but the QQ blowback forced them to revert it. Personally I think being able to solo 15 + mobs or a world boss is absurd. What your looking for pretty much only exists in mythic raiding where one persons own accountability can cause a wipe.
    scaling still exists, it's just no longer broken

Deleted
    Can someone give me an example of how the game punishes you for doing something wrong? I feel like everything so far is just endless easy mod grind, besides heroic/mythic raiding. Leveling to 110 was a joke, don't think I died ones... it was a short grind anyways. World quests are so easy I think you can complete most of them on auto attack same with regular dungeons. It feels like the game just wants me to login every now and then to do whatever I have to do and logout, nothing else... I feel like the only punishment I can find is waiting for everything to reset, my 2 cents.
    Yes, some levels of snowflakery get severely punished by removal of snowflake character from many aspects of the game like raiding, epics, tier sets, legendaries. It's a good punishment, the volume at which the poor unspecialled snowflakes squeal out their butthurt is a testament to just how well is the punishment working.

WoW was developed as a game that doesn't really punish its players. That's what devs wanted it to be, they didn't want WoW to be yet another "hardcore" MMORPG, hence, for instance, there's no death penalties, e.g., no exp loss, no gear drops, just minor gear durability reductions.

Other players are the ones who punish players in this game, not the game itself.

Blizz just continue doing what they're always doing.

Wow isn't the kind of game you play if you want difficulty.

Literally, the only difficulty in wow is getting 19+ other people to not be completely brain-dead about basic mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    If you want punishment I'm certain there are prostitutes that cater to that sort of thing better than WoW can.

Can someone give me an example of how the game punishes you for doing something wrong?
    None. There are no punishment because WoW was designed not have any punishment. The only punishments were a lost of time and pride due to the death. Pre-WoW MMO did have punishment. You die. You lose some experience point gain. Some even allow permit your corpse to be looted by others, just like any other mobs.

You can guess how popular those feature were.

WoW became very popular while earlier MMO remain relatively static.

The Division re-introduced player looting in their Dark Zone. Again some liked it but it turned the majority of the players away from the DZ.

I feel like the only punishment I can find is waiting for everything to reset, my 2 cents.
    I guess you never played the earlier MMOs.

Deleted
    Remake this thread when you've gotten Cutting Edge achievement and I'll give an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Remake this thread when you've gotten Cutting Edge achievement and I'll give an answer.
    Is this raiding achievement and what is your answer?

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Corpse runs, Repair Bills. And extreme RNG in Legion. Those are the only things i would count as punishment in WoW.
    /spit@Blizzard

Can someone give me an example of how the game punishes you for doing something wrong?
    About the only thing I can think of that I'd consider punishment (other than a ban for cheating) is the deserter debuff, which is there specifically as a deterrent to "wrong" behavior in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Back in TBC there was punishment for dying vs both mobs and players in world pvp by having long 2-5mins corpse run.

But back in WOTLK corpse running speed was increased, and in Cataclysm not only corpse running speed was increased even more but also alot of graveyards was added, so corpse running became way more faster.
    Didn't they basically nerf the corpse running speed boost to an almost nothing 10% after Cata was over?

You only do the easy content and you complain that it's easy?
    Yea, nice one.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chipwood View Post
    About the only thing I can think of that I'd consider punishment (other than a ban for cheating) is the deserter debuff, which is there specifically as a deterrent to "wrong" behavior in game.
    Completely accurate. One more "punishment" i forgot. It goes along with the 15 min cd of signing up for Dungeon LFG if you leave before the last boss. That 15 min cd starts from the moment you joined the dungeon you left though.
    /spit@Blizzard

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    WoW only has some ancient minor punishments.

repair cost
    res sickness + durability loss for ressing at a graveyard
    res timer for dying repeatedly

City of heroes actually made you lose xp if you died back in 2004. WoW doesn't do that.

Deserter debuff is also a form of punishment of course, more meant to steer social behaviour.

Raid punishment is a whole different ballgame, 1 shot mechanics and whatnot. Even in LFR Harjatan for example :P

Players dying in an enemy capital city still have long corpse runs, but over the years the normal world has more graveyards all over the place.

Raids/dungeons in vanilla had really long corpse runs too in some areas. Now you rez at a "checkpoint" inside the raid/dungeon.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-07-08 at 09:49 PM.

1. There are areas and mobs not easily soloed by the average player. I regularly see people ask for help with the Broken Isles rares, for example.
    2. Punishment? No, but challenge? Yes, it's found where it was always found to a lesser or greater (greater now) extent. In the highest tier of PVP and raiding. Sometimes there are solo challenges as well.
    3. I'm sure there are games out there that downright punish the player if that's your thing. WoW never did that though.
    4. I sincerely doubt that you have never died to anything outside of instances.

The world content is and always was aimed at the lowest common denominator. New players die (and always did) due to being new, not through some amazing design choices aimed at presenting players with challenging gameplay. Same as how LFR is aimed at the lowest common denominator among people wanting to do raid content. People bitching about there being "no punishment/challenge" in content never ever supposed to offer such things, is SO 2009.

Not to mention how people whinging the highest for "muh challenge!!" never actually seem to pursue such things... I get the feeling it's the same sort of mentality which has people reaching level 60 in Classic sit around now and proclaim how the game used to require "skill", meanwhile they never amount to anything noteworthy by standards of today in this game or others.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-08 at 09:50 PM.

Why would you want to be punished while playing a video game? There are plenty of things in life that will punish you.
    Beta Club Brosquad

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there's much punishment anymore In anything other than Mythic Raiding. You get pardoned pretty easily and nothing really happens to you, nothing of note any way.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Your character dies when you mess up.

Attack that high lvl toons that's flagged....you die.
    Ride through a zone you're too low for......you die.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!