Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    And? The US can just import steel if they are lacking. As I said dude, it will be fine and steel industry will probably get the nice capital boost it needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    And? The US can just import steel if they are lacking. As I said dude, it will be fine and steel industry will probably get the nice capital boost it needed.
    Importing what you need is the current setup. How would the steel industry benefit?

Importing what you need is the current setup. How would the steel industry benefit?
    Nah, the current set up is developing nations flooding the market and thus its cheaper to buy from them than to produce in the US. Protectionism forces companies to improve processes, that means investment in capital that is good.

15+ Year Old Account
    LMAO We will stop selling you steel because reasons I guess- Juncker_IRL. It doesn't matter though since China is literally flooding the market with it's steel. Juncker's stupidty is amazing tbh.
    You have not read anything about this have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You have not read anything about this have you?
    Ok. Explain it to me.

Nah, the current set up is developing nations flooding the market and thus its cheaper to buy from them than to produce in the US. Protectionism forces companies to improve processes, that means investment in capital that is good.
    Ok, have fun when China retaliates with their own tariffs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok. Explain it to me.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...ctionist-steel
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Ok, have fun when China retaliates with their own tariffs.
    I don't know what else to say so I'll hint at a small probability of a trade war- You.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, so nothing will change. Thanks for the link though.

I don't know what else to say so I'll hint at a small probability of a trade war- You.
    Nah, I just realize it's pointless to discuss something with someone who's clearly disconnected from reality and ignorant of history.

Nah, I just realize it's pointless to discuss something with someone who's clearly disconnected from reality and ignorant of history.
    You can always point where I'm wrong.

You can always point where I'm wrong.
    Your belief that there won't be retaliation from the countries impacted.

So....

I don't know what else to say so I'll hint at a small probability of a trade war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its already started. China has started negotiating trade deals with Mexico instead of the U.S.

A lot of posters seem to think the U.S. is somehow the only market in the world, while in reality South America is a giant untapped potential market. Bilateral trade helps both countries grow their economies.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Its already started. China has started negotiating trade deals with Mexico instead of the U.S.

A lot of posters seem to think the U.S. is somehow the only market in the world, while in reality South America is a giant untapped potential market. Bilateral trade helps both countries grow their economies.
    We have been improving our trade relations with China.

So....

I don't know what else to say so I'll hint at a small probability of a trade war.
    See, waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

Yeah, plus they've been making inroads in Africa for a while now and when the New Silk Road is established, that's a huge economic area that could quite easily look elsewhere if protectionism makes a resurgence.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2017-07-07 at 04:30 PM.

Also, the notion that latin america will somehow fill the void by the US is laughable.

- - - Updated - - -

See, waste of time.
    Thanks. I will keep celebrating the decisition of a president that actually has balls instead of the giant pussy that is Juncker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, the notion that latin america will somehow fill the void by the US is laughable.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I will keep celebrating the decisition of a president that actually has balls instead of the giant pussy that is Juncker.
    Aaannddd there's the attitude I was talking about.

Deleted
    The fact of the matter is. The US administration is all bark no bite and has backed down nearly on every economic threat it made. The US Administration cannot back up its words with actions without castrating itself.

It tried to do individual trade deals with EU members. The member countries shut it down and redirected the Trump administration to EU Officials.
    It threatened Mexico to have them opay for a wall with tariffs. The Mexicans are still laughing.
    It threatened China. The US Administration quickly changed it mind and China started double timming it on new trade routes with the EU.
    It threatened the Iranians. The Iranians do not seem to care and started massive trade with the EU.

It is rethoric for the uneducated American voter, who starts cussing and cursing. Every Political Leader knows it is a performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, the meeting was scheduled for 30 minutes and took over 2 hours. Melania was sent in to break it up.

Tillerson and Lavrov were the only other ones there. Tillerson claims that Trump pressed on election interference and Putin was civil about it, but denied the allegations and wants proof. Naturally, Tillerson's word on the subject is worth nearly as little as Trump's, and quite frankly. it seems pretty unlikely to me that Trump would use harsh words at Putin for interfering in an election in a way that caused him to win, while he's actively trying to get US voter data into one place that should make it easier to hack.

There is also talk of a Syria cease-fire for which the terms are not yet public. As others have posted, there's no real indication that this cease-fire will work any better than the others which didn't work, and the terms could very well be "US leaves and Russia wins".

Basically, there's no proof of anything useful happening, other than Trump giving himself a win against a politician and dictator with orders of magnitude more experience and skill in the subject at hand.

Trump isn't very bright and Putin is practically an evil genius. I think we all know how it went.