Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    I'm not sure if what T said about "women and children" was sarcasm or not.

Maybe, but the refugees causing 99% of all the problems share a certain religious background.
    I don't think he knows what sarcasm is. The sad part is that he actually believe the things he says.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Uh most of them are women and children. Not sure how you expect them to magically find jobs.
    My wife works. Are you saying women aren't equal to men?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well, it seems you were doing fine with your own problems of your different skin coloured Americans at each others throat without extra refugees. But considering the US I find the who refugee thingy so hilarious, because basically aour entire nation is build on refugees and emigrants. Oh yeah..and there was a time when you where a kind-hearted nation and took in millions of refugees circa 1933-1945
    Okay, and your point is what exactly? The U.S. did it before so they should do it again? I'm also curious how colonizing a widely unpopulated landmass is the same as refugees fleeing to foreign countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Maybe so but in such a scenario, if you replace the population with another people the country won't be the same in the end. It will change to something it wouldn't be if the original people were still there instead of those who replaced them. I have little trust in foreigners to carry on traditions and take the culture in the same direction as the natives in the country they move to.
    Culture and traditions are things that shouldn't always be preserved. They need to be able to compete with other cultures and traditions; otherwise they just exist as 'welfare' cultures that don't actually serve their people.

That being said, immigrant ethnic enclaves that are often outcomes of high-immigration policies exemplify this to the greatest degree - shielding their culture from the outside influences of their host country and preventing cultural competition and assimilation. So it works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Culture and traditions are things that shouldn't always be preserved.
    If people want to do so then that is their right. It doesn't matter what you think about it if people want to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people want to do so then that is their right. It doesn't matter what you think about it.
    I'm making judgements on moral oughts, not proposing that we force people to abandon their traditions.

As in, people should be open and willing to give and take traditions/behaviors from other cultures, but forcing them to do so has high costs that make such an action unjustifiable.

Maybe so but in such a scenario, if you replace the population with another people the country won't be the same in the end. It will change to something it wouldn't be if the original people were still there instead of those who replaced them. I have little trust in foreigners to carry on traditions and take the culture in the same direction as the natives in the country they move to.
    In that case it would be a good thing, Japanese view on work, relationship and traditions are the reasons they are dying out. The Japanese are holding on to concepts that simply do not work in the modern age.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Half the refugees we have here aren't even working. They're just getting money from the government. So I don't think Canada's game plan will help Japan with this problem.
    I'd like to see a source on that.

I'm making judgements on moral oughts, not proposing that we force people to abandon their traditions.
    No, you are not making any judgements on moral oughts, you are imposing your idea of what is good and bad and saying they should follow your ideas and abandon their ideas of what is good and bad because your idea of what is good and bad is right and therefore they are wrong.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-07-08 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    Isn't Japan one of the most xenophobic countries in the world?
    And you want them to open up and let immigrants in and expect no problems to occur? If one of those immigrants would fuck up all of them would be getting so much hate and anger thrown in their direction. You're so naive, it's almost cute....almost.
    You expect anything less from TA? I would say they live in a world of black and white...no such thing as grey to them...but sometimes I wonder if there is any such thing as black to them...live in their own little world of nothing but white.

As in, people should be open and willing to give and take traditions/behaviors from other cultures, but forcing them to do so has high costs that make such an action unjustifiable.
    The problem is, I'm not a bad person and I do welcome immigrants to my country, but the majority of the ones we are taking have terrible traditions and behaviors. Thats just a fact and i'm sorry if that makes people upset.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you are not making any judgements on moral oughts, you are imposing your idea of what is good and bad and saying they should follow your ideas and abandon their ideas of what is good and bad.
    There are two parts to your characterization of my argument. The first is that I'm creating a moral system, and the second is that I'm saying that people should follow that moral system. The second part is exactly what I described, in your own words: making judgements on moral oughts.

You can disagree with my moral system, but that's a separate argument and I don't think you would find a lot of traction arguing against the idea that people should be open to new ideas and ready to abandon the old when it becomes clear that they are no longer useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Culture and traditions are things that shouldn't always be preserved. They need to be able to compete with other cultures and traditions; otherwise they just exist as 'welfare' cultures that don't actually serve their people.
    This is likely one of the most salient points in the whole discussion of immigration and refugees.

One of the chief concerns raised about an influx of Muslim immigrants is that it's 'cultural suicide'; but this is an assumption. There's no question of why that is the case; moreover, even if it were then the question becomes what about Western culture makes it so unattractive and noncompetitive versus Islamic culture that Western culture must effectively be kept in a greenhouse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    The problem is, I'm not a bad person and welcome immigrants, but the majority of the ones we are taking have terrible traditions and behaviors. Thats just a fact and i'm sorry if that makes people upset.
    Sure. And migrant behavior is a valid argument (if you have data to back it up). In this case, if migrants and hosts are equally moral, bad behaviors will lose out and migrants will assimilate.

There are two parts to your characterization of my argument. The first is that I'm creating a moral system, and the second is that I'm saying that people should follow that moral system. The second part is exactly what I described, in your own words: making judgements on moral oughts.

You can disagree with my moral system, but that's a separate argument and I don't think you would find a lot of traction arguing against the idea that people should be open to new ideas and ready to abandon the old when it becomes clear that they are no longer useful.
    You are not making judgements on moral oughts. You are declaring your ideas the only right ideas and everyone else wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriMayim View Post
    ...That seems like an interesting statement. Would love to see some citations for this.
    Well it is possible that someone would spray Japan with some kind of hormone spray and skyrocket their birth rate but that does not seem likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then Muslim/Islam/Sharia Law should not be preserved and removed because it is a detriment to the world. Keep your double-speak to yourself.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This is likely one of the most salient points in the whole discussion of immigration and refugees.

One of the chief concerns raised about an influx of Muslim immigrants is that it's 'cultural suicide'; but this is an assumption. There's no question of why that is the case; moreover, even if it were then the question becomes what about Western culture makes it so unattractive and noncompetitive versus Islamic culture that Western culture must effectively be kept in a greenhouse?
    Conquest is why islam is incompatible with many countries, Islam has a heavy background in conquest and making people submit to it.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-07-08 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are not making judgements on moral oughts. You are declaring your ideas the only right ideas and everyone else wrong.
    No, I'm proposing a moral tenet on the basis of widely accepted ideals, and then extrapolating to a case study.

That is a very far thing from saying 'you are wrong and I am right, and nothing will convince me otherwise'. In fact, that's ironically the exact opposite of the content of my argument, which is that people should be open and accepting of new ideas if they are superior to old ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Then Muslim/Islam/Sharia Law should not be preserved and removed because it is a detriment to the world. Keep your double-speak to yourself.
    Sure. Then make the argument that these particular aspects of these cultures are detrimental. What you're saying here has nothing to do with my argument and betrays your illogical preconceptions of me.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://qz.com/1014031/japan-has-a-l...ould-let-them/

Great article here. It's tough to feel sorry for a country which chooses to avoid taking obvious steps to remedy its problems. With an aging population and low birthrate, this does seem like a logical step. Hopefully Nippon makes the jump soon.
    Japan has labor problems because they've had a horrendous family and work policy for decades, where people are force s to work 24/7 with little to no vacation and no time for family.
    Letting in asylum seekers like the Syrians is a hilariously laughable suggestion, if this is what you meant. Their two cultures are utterly incompatible.
    They could however let in other Asian asylum seekers and westerners. But again, their policies are completely garbage, making getting a family and kids very difficult. They also seem completely unable to self reflect, leading to very little constructive changes, because nobody want some to insult someone else or intrude on them.