Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You are still good, you believe you arent as good because you are out of practice or as i call it you grew up to the:

/care mentality.

I am the same for a few years now, why tryhard for something mostly irrelevant just for a different skin color, who gives a fuck.

Basically you dont care to be better than you are cause it is not needed, you are already good enough or better for the stuff you want to do.

I've played since vanilla, didn't start really trying until wrath, but I became pretty damn good then. Got even better with a heroic/mythic raiding guild in MoP as their main tank. Running DH dps now (because that's hard, right?) but I'm finding that I can't raid as long as I used to, my hands start feel weird. Not painful, and I don't want to call it stiffness, but I can tell they're not what they were in my early 20s.

I am "only" 31, closing in on 32 this year. But I can somewhat relate. I used to play CS 1.6 a lot, was part of professional teams like starComa, HFD and EFF-KULT (german esports clans back then). Then I stopped playing it professionally, took breaks here and there, started with WoW as well and just played casually. When I wanted to go back to CS:GO not only did the game change, also my personal skill dropped significantly which demotivates you a lot if you used to be great. You will always compare yourself with your old self and that will make you feel like shit. Retiring from a game and then coming back expecting same results will rarely if ever work. A great way to boost your ego again is by watching old replays/logs of your former glory. It will make it easier for you to get back. Seeing yourself actually being good vs. "live" shittyness boosted my ego a lot. I saw that I was capable of doing it, I simply forgot that I can. And guess what, I also reached GE in CS:GO after a month of pushing myself again.

Gl in your endeavors.

i member man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    i used to be a pretty good healer. i still get by, but i know im not as good as i used to be.
    age has caught up with me & im no longer the player i was.
    i used to raid a lot, now i dont feel im capable of getting to the level i once was.
    the thing i would like to know (after ive wiped the tears from my eyes), what should i do?
    should i persevere & try & recapture past glories, or should i just concentrate on doing mythic dungeons & LFR?
    not sure this is relevent, but im currently guildless atm.

this post probably wont have much of a baring on the younger generation, but anyone over 40 may have an inkling on where i am on this.
    i also know this is mmo-c & the answers, if any, could be from one side of the spectrum to the other...i await with bated breath.
    I used to play a healer back in tbc / wotlk and I feel the healer gameplay changed the most. I played druid and priest and back then you'd mostly use 2-3 spells in your "rotation", dispels had no cd, healers weren't expected to "off-dps" and balance it with healing, mana management was more about appropriate gearing (stacking enough spirit / mp5) and using various buffs, and generally as long as you weren't standing in the fire and healing damaged targets, you were fine. Nowadays I'd say good healer needs more awareness than good dps or even tank.

But tbh, if you like raiding, I'd say you could try to find a guild that is raiding heroic (or even normal at start), very few fights in the past were as overcomplicated as mythic is these days (some fights are easier some are harder but majority of them are needlessly overcomplicated often with stupid bugs slipping through ptr testing), I think heroic finds this balance between mechanics still mattering instead of "just outheal everything" and overloading you with too many things at once. If you feel one day you want something more complicated, you can then make a step forward.

Heroic and normal also scales nowadays between 10 and 30 people so it's more forgiving on guilds that don't enforce 100% attendance and have variable number of players showing up. That means it should be more lenient on people who have irl commitments and can't always come to raids, mythic guilds will probably frown upon it but heroic guilds might be more tolerant and laid back.

And most important thing - if you healed in the past, you probably used some addons (grid, healbot, clique and so forth), browse various addons that exist now and find something comfortable, supposedly a good addon setup is key to good healer experience.

i am 31 and i am playing since 2005, last week a got my first rank 1 in a fight but i remember that i was a much more solid at cata, i lost some speed and reflexes, is so sad

Quote Originally Posted by Kaap View Post
    I did notice that the last few years Ive gotten worse at playing DPS. Tactics wise Im doing fine, it's just DPS rotations and sometimes the pace I got worse at. Guess its maybe an age thing although only 38
    I mean some classes have gone through complete overhauls in terms of their difficulty. Frost dk from Firelands-Legion's start (I think... I didn't actually play WoD at all) went from Howling Blast spam to the whole "Keep Breath up as long as humanly possible with a combo of good rng, good skill usage, extremely well planned movement (or lack thereof) and proper use of AMS soaking for RP" .-. even the simpler version of the spec still has significantly more interaction than it did prior to Legion. Some specs (like affliction) got easier throughout time... It's a mixed bag.

But I'm still good at WoW. Especially with Resto Shaman.

The thing is that we all used to dedicate hours to raiding and such because that's where you got the best gear. Now a heroic 5 man dungeon can have gear forge up so regularly that there is really.no motivation to put hours into the harder stuff anymore.

yep, LK was my time by far, and that was due to my real life being at its peak and gaming being at its peak. Then real life went to shit and my playing followed... only after years of rebuilding am i getting back to where i was. But with the changes in the game, my desire to be pushing mythic raid clears, and realm first kills is gone.... i'm happy clearing HC before the next tier now.. maybe if i'm ever back to where i was in real life i'll push for mythic clears but doubtful. Cheers to the glory days!
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

I feel you OP, I feel you. been progressively getting worse. reacting slower, cannot stay focused for as many hours in a row as I used to. I remember staying up after the raid and running an improptu dungeon or several with guild mates who were also still up. nowadays, 3 hours and i'm done. sometimes getting older sucks. then again, getting older also means I can afford more fun, so.. there's that? :P

Deleted
    Just enjoy the game at your actual level, now you can do that.

Deleted
    Yeah I used to be a TOP LEVEL WOW PLAYER back in THE BURNING CRUSADE WHEN MY ROTATION WAS TO CAST ONLY SHADOWBOLT OR MY STEADY SHOT MACRO.

But now I'm older so I'm not as good anymore, you NEW AGE PLAYERS don't know what real skill and difficulty is, I bet in my prime I could 10man mythic kil jaeden ez.

t. nostalgia loser.

10+ Year Old Account
    How can you get worse when the game is getting easier? Aging players are the target audience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone struggling with rotations may want to give tellmewhen addon a try. Helps a lot with more complex classes where you just can't hit the wrong button.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Wow, in general, is not the most difficult thing to get good at. If you join a casual guild and raid once/twice a week, you will get pretty good at it.

It's not hard, you just don't care about it that much anymore, and that's ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it went downhill. I became an addict to alts and hoarding, now running with a total of 24 bank guilds, as well as having a total of 144 characters. I sometimes miss the days where I just had three, or four characters. Hehe. Back when I was only stuck in heavy raiding.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

@ OP - I've felt the same lately, and as other people have said in this thread, it's mainly a matter of how much time you invest into the game. If you've got the time to pore over logs, taking notes of boss ability timing, developing a strategy for when best to use your own abilities in every encounter, reviewing how that turned out for you by doing more log review, then adjusting your strategy...if you've got that kind of time, and a baseline level of ability, then you're going to be good. If you don't, then natural ability and past experience will only get you so far.

A lot of us as we age have other things taking up our times. Careers, spouses, kids, RL opportunities we didn't have as "youngins," etc. It's a conscious choice you have to make, because no one has time to be an expert in everything. It all takes time, and there's only so much of that available!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    i used to be a pretty good healer. i still get by, but i know im not as good as i used to be.
    age has caught up with me & im no longer the player i was.
    i used to raid a lot, now i dont feel im capable of getting to the level i once was.
    the thing i would like to know (after ive wiped the tears from my eyes), what should i do?
    should i persevere & try & recapture past glories, or should i just concentrate on doing mythic dungeons & LFR?
    not sure this is relevent, but im currently guildless atm.

this post probably wont have much of a baring on the younger generation, but anyone over 40 may have an inkling on where i am on this.
    i also know this is mmo-c & the answers, if any, could be from one side of the spectrum to the other...i await with bated breath.
    LFR was made for people like you and me. Accept it, take solace in the fact that Blizzard cares about you too.

Edit: /wrists.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't remember that time. Because I was never all that good. On some characters, I might have spent some time studying rotations and such, but that's about it.

As far as raiding goes, my highest achievements when the content was still relevant was something like killing everything except Lich King in ICC. But then again, I knew I had what it took to take it further. I wasn't bad at the game, I just preferred more social guilds that had fun, and specifically applied to such guilds that weren't doing great in raids. I still remember trying to tell one of our healers to not to keyboard turn on Sindragosa, as she couldn't get away from her and died a lot. I didn't really mind, they were great people. I miss them.

And in PvP I have always been bad.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-07-10 at 03:52 PM.