Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And here I am, happy like a little kid with my new calculator, which I bought for like 24€ after using my old one for 15 years.

Yeah, what ever. Unless there is a major spike in performance in that thing it won't be worth it - even remotely. The last gen can do most things very well at 1/4th of the price. The only reason for much more power would gaming as well, which is quite the dead end on mobile devices like these due to the inputs.. so what would be the point again? Not to mention that it would screw it battery time even more, since I highly doubt they will go with a larger form factor.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-07-11 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typp & additional thoughts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    I was saying the i-7 hardly revolutionised anything over the i6 , and if they were to put this pircetag on the i8; it better have the functions and innovation to back up that pricetag
    Oh, I agree with you.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

When things like this start going up in prices like that... I will personally pass and sure as shit won't be getting my sons that kind of luxury.
    I paid outright for mine upwards of £600 for my S7, that was enough for me and I'm happy with it - I got what I paid for and don't really need a salesman to tell me things like iPhone have components from other companies and I don't need a salesman to tell me that a Samsung provides tech faster compared to Apple. I can do that myself.

I don't feel the need to upgrade my phone unless the hardware and software at points just gives up the ghost and so forth.
    I had an iPhone 3G that lasted me easily 3-4 years and though I loved it and the whole itunes thing, I prefer Android as I am tech savvy. Iphone will clearly be for those individuals that like the fashion and the readiness that Apple implies it has.
    In the end, they will push their luck as far as they can until sales hit the ground because they will outprice themselves and it won't just be one company, it will be all of them because like any competition, they follow suit.

Only thing I don't like is how iPhone expect to charge the same when their models are technology behind and not even fully their own components but business is business, getting your target audience and preying on ignorance is one of those tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The other biggie among the nerdier sorts of folks I know is a preference for Apple's security protocols and software updates.
    Weird, I always figured people would want it as open as possible when we are talking about software nerds. A closed system like apples is the antithesis of what the usual software nerds espout about.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    That's the thing about it isn't it? People are comparing the baseline model of a Mac to the lowest end PC, but once you start equalizing the specs, you find the Mac is only slightly more expensive.
    At least 1.5 times more expensive than the most expensive comparable spec offers.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    $249.99 or GTFO
    totally, I am done with this making rich people even more rich and I waste tons of money only to make a screen bigger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    When things like this start going up in prices like that... I will personally pass and sure as shit won't be getting my sons that kind of luxury.
    I paid outright for mine upwards of £600 for my S7, that was enough for me and I'm happy with it - I got what I paid for and don't really need a salesman to tell me things like iPhone have components from other companies and I don't need a salesman to tell me that a Samsung provides tech faster compared to Apple. I can do that myself.

I don't feel the need to upgrade my phone unless the hardware and software at points just gives up the ghost and so forth.
    I had an iPhone 3G that lasted me easily 3-4 years and though I loved it and the whole itunes thing, I prefer Android as I am tech savvy. Iphone will clearly be for those individuals that like the fashion and the readiness that Apple implies it has.
    In the end, they will push their luck as far as they can until sales hit the ground because they will outprice themselves and it won't just be one company, it will be all of them because like any competition, they follow suit.

Only thing I don't like is how iPhone expect to charge the same when their models are technology behind and not even fully their own components but business is business, getting your target audience and preying on ignorance is one of those tactics.
    Same for me really, I paid £500 outright for my S7 and won't upgrade unless my phone breaks or the newer one has something very different that is worth getting. I can't see myself upgrading until the S10 comes out, personally (if even then). The S8 looks awesome, but there's no chance I'd buy that whilst having an S7, difference is minimal and definitely not worth paying another £500-600 for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Why? Not insulting you; I'm an iPhone person myself and I like them, but I had my 4 for 3 years before I upgraded to the 6s, and only did so because my bank's app no longer supported 4. What's the appeal of getting a new one every time it drops? Seems like the new features are kind of meh, to me.
    Mostly for the reasons mentioned here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post46462971

I just kinda like having new things to play around with, even if I don't necessarily need them. Of course I don't need a new iPhone every year (especially since the jump from a 6 to a 6s etc. tends to be kinda small) , but at the same time, I am like "why not" - and like I said, it's not like I am throwing the previous one away or something.
    That said: I might get a Plus instead of a normal one this time (for the bigger screen).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    More reason to stay android and never go iphone.
    Having a slow ass phone sure is fun too

Iphone user since 4s and haven't quit since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Depends what its offering. If its something breakthrough thats going to blow your mind... then ya! If its just another incremental improvement on the older phones then probably no for most people unless they need an upgrade and have been waiting. There are a great many things to take into account. Would I pay $1500 on a phone, yes I would, I would pay 5k for a phone if it was something awesome like those folding screen phones that can go from the size of a hand sized cylinder(much easier to carry) and unfold into a glorious 5x 10 inch screen, or something cool like that. But a slab phone with slightly better camera, processor, memory etc. HELL NO!

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    gargle Steve Jobs's nuts
    Necrophilia

Quote Originally Posted by sockzz View Post
    It's about the software dude. Android is absolutely NOT on par with iOS in terms of usability. Something as simple as emojis are handled so poorly on Android that if you're texting someone with iOS the emoji could have a completely different meaning. Not to mention most Android phones come jam packed full of bloatware and other useless features like Bixby from Samsung.
    Ok I'll bite given that what you say is a rather large red herring....

At least on Android... you can install and remove the software easily .... annnnd your not limited to one supplier.

So bloatware as you put it is a non issue practically.

Have no issue with androids usability what so ever ... apple however I have always disliked, but thats just my opinion

Your criticism is basically founded on your preference, like mine, however your trying to state it as a global fact

and say your right and it actually is all about the software ... it still doesn't justify the price apple charge.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's cute when people say something totally backwards and then try to be snarky about how obvious it is.

Generally technology moves in exactly the opposite direction - you get more for less over time.
    With all the R&D that goes into phones, it's not usually the case. Since these phones come out once per year you don't see that same behavior as you would with other tech. Second/third generations of Solar Panels are WAY less expensive now then the 1st gen was. But you are comparing apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Apple products are horrifically overpriced, as the people who haven't drunk the koolaid have known for years. The snark is appropriate and deserved.
    I don't recall saying they aren't overpriced. But so is every other phone on the market. Which is your outrage at them?

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    They charge more because they can, If you have swaths of brainwashed fanboys, you're going to cash in on it.
    Every company does this. Welcome to Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    He's right though.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    The sad part is the people who love to gargle Steve Jobs's nuts will definitely buy it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...aign=buffer-ti
    Pretty much, it's already over priced junk but hey, it's hip to own a iphone am I right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    Ok I'll bite given that what you say is a rather large red herring....

At least on Android... you can install and remove the software easily .... annnnd your not limited to one supplier.

So bloatware as you put it is a non issue practically.

Have no issue with androids usability what so ever ... apple however I have always disliked, but thats just my opinion

Your criticism is basically founded on your preference, like mine, however your trying to state it as a global fact

and say your right and it actually is all about the software ... it still doesn't justify the price apple charge.
    What made me switch from a Galaxy S7 to an iPhone 7 Plus was simple: Apple puts out both the hardware and software. My mother has an old iPhone 5C (her first smartphone), and it's running the latest version of iOS (the 5C was released in 2013). Four years of support is better than what I received on any Android device.

Honestly, it's really that simple. I don't want to play a guessing game of if/when my phone will see the new OS update.

Android "O" is going to be released "soon", while less than 1% of Android users are on 7.1 with only 10.6% even on 7.0:
    https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

The new Pixel phones, which were designed by Google, will stop seeing Android updates on October of next year and will stop getting security updates in October of 2019. Two years of OS updates vs four years from Apple.

Sure, you can root and flash a new ROM on most Android devices, but I don't want to. That's why some people are picking iPhones over other Android devices, it's a convenience thing.

I don't miss my S7. Everything I did on that phone I can do on my iPhone. The only widgets I ever used were my calendar and weather (which I can still see with a swipe to the left on my home screen on my iPhone).

people are outraged at the idea of a $1200 iphone, but guaranteed theres a windows/android phone with the same price tag. perk to an iphone... last longer seeing as windows/androids are very friendly with legal practice of making products that have a designated lifeline forcing you to always upgrade/buy a new phone.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you are dumb enough to buy those overpriced piles of garbage to begin with, you deserve to get bent over and penetrated from behind by Apple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    What people seem to forget or ignore, is that most flagship phones by any company often costs exactly the same is the latest iPhone.
    Google phones, latest Samsung. Same price all around. If this new Apple phone will be 1200, so will the new Samsung etc.
    And yet the OnePlus 5 outpaces every other Android phone and costs almost half as much as any Samsung Galaxy S series phone. At $599 USD, you'd be a complete fool to buy any other Android phone that isn't a OnePlus. They always have cutting edge hardware in them and are constantly advancing the bar. The new SnapDragon 835 that is in the OnePlus 5 is crazy fast for a phone, and you have the option of 6 or 8 GB of RAM in the damn thing as well as 64 or 128 GB of internal storage. Samsung keeps going with the status quo and overcharging like crazy in the process. Also the Nexus 6P was a massively overpriced pile of junk made by Huawei, a phone manufacturer that has never made a good quality phone. Huawei's other models are absurdly overpriced and all have crap antenna's in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    If you're not in the top 10% and you're buying this then you really need to reassess your priorities.
    What people do with their money is their business. If you're concerned with it, maybe YOU should reassess YOUR priorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    At $599 USD, you'd be a complete fool to buy any other Android phone that isn't a OnePlus.
    Or you have service with Verizon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    My current dilemma, my husband works for Sprint so we get discounts on stuff and he has no cell phone plan to pay for. I got a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge but it's a total lemon and it was my first foray into android after 3 Iphones. I'm kinda leery towards the notion of getting another android especially since I hate the design of the S8 with that long narrow shit they got going on. I like the design of the iphone 7 but the lack of a headphone jack turned me off. There is speculation of the jack returning in the 8 so I'm holding out. Right now I need to replace this phone... just waiting to see if I like the design of the Note 8 or the Iphone 8.