Poll: Should Blizzard Create another MMO??

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    While not exactly a new IP or even a game, I'd love to see Blizzard make a world builder for WoW so that people can create their own custom content. Its what keeps SC and WC3 alive aswell, just have the community create their own content. It sounds like a huge undertaking, but it could make the game last endlessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already multiple positions open for what screams Diablo mmo, positions you'd never hire specifically for regarding animation when working on an ARPG, also multiple positions including project lead are asking for MMO experience and a strong interest in the Diablo franchise. If it isn't announced this year, I wouldn't be surprised if its announced next.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrene View Post
    "World of Diablo" would just be boring. I mean there would only be humans as playable races, and the story is just cliche as fucking fuck.

Like I said, World of Starcraft would be absolutely epic. Especially if they go with 3 factions gameplay.
    On this point, there are humans, nephalem, demons, and angels. All could be playable races. All they need to do is incorporate the current classes with unique starting zones tor each.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    For me "in style" was when WoW peaked at WOTLK. And that point in time was when players didn't mind sinking every single night into this game called WoW. They'd rush home from school, college or work just to log on and spend the entire night playing. Often grinding out levels or wiping repeatedly in instances that took an hour to form. It was a different type of gaming experience and players were a lot more prepared to do things the hard way and sink hours and hours and hours into the game because they didn't know any different.

Now that "niche" has gone and it's been replaced by a different demographic of player that has less time to spend in the game and different priorities. That that's why a lot of the changes we've seen since WOTLK are in place.

Could a new MMO come along and replicate that WOTLK era experience? No. Not in my opinion. Why? Because players simply don't want that type of experience anymore. Simple as that. And it's become very difficult to hold onto MMO player bases for that reason. Gaming and the internet is very much "pick and choose, lots of small experiences" rather than "omfg this game is the best game ever, i can't wait to go home and play it all night".
    Basically, you agree: WoW has gone out of style, not MMOs in general. Just like I said? Your opinion about why a replacement for WoW won't happen is because you think people are tired of WoW. It's not about the genre.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    On this point, there are humans, nephalem, demons, and angels. All could be playable races. All they need to do is incorporate the current classes with unique starting zones tor each.
    Yeah, Nephalem and Demons alongside Humans? That seems likely given the lore of D3.

I agree with a lot of the people that have been suggesting that the MMO genre has been kind morphing for some time now. The future of MMO's is likely to be sliced up and injected into more traditionally casual action RPGs such as Diablo, and in the case of shooters, Destiny and Anthem. To be honest, I wouldn't be too miffed if this trend continued so long as the games being offered had enough depth. I love WoW, but I wouldn't care at all if most of the busy work content was completely cut out of future expansions. I primarily play for group play, then again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Yeah, Nephalem and Demons alongside Humans? That seems likely given the lore of D3.
    -
    There's this awesome thing called factions. There needs to be a pvp aspect to the game and Diablo can easily give us 3 factions.

Blizzard would never do another MMO UNLESS it's some revolutionary new game style they come up with.

There's a lot of speculation that their next diablo installment will be an MMO. Given that wow has literally become a d3 mmo AKA testing the waters before their new game, and that the job listings highly suggest an mmo format, I would say: Yes, we'll have World of Diablocraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yeah, maybe when half the playerbase wouldn't have to throw up when using VR. You watch too much anime if you think we are on the brink of a VR-revolution in anything. Currently we are making babysteps.
    Until a proper neurointerface is created, no one is going to bother w/ VR gaming, like it's not gonna be anything huge, any VR technology that requires you to move your limbs is garbage for gaming.

Deleted
    They tried with titan and failed. So I don't see them trying again.

Honestly - a Diablo/Starcraft MMO could work. But out of those Starcraft could offer more originality in terms of gameplay (I'm thinking aerial combat, base defense/attack, ship to ship combat with guilds/clans going at each other with guildies operating different parts of the ship like gunners, repair crew, pilots, medics etc).

However - my only wish right now, would be for Blizz to experiment with transferring the Overwatch Graphics engine to World of Warcraft.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

I doubt they'll make another MMORPG anytime soon.

They are however working on a new I.P... maybe 2? One is a AAA first-person game and the other is on mobile. Tom Chilton mentioned he's leaving WoW but is still at Blizzard, working on a new project which is most likely the first-person game.

As for the mobile I.P, there was a job listing last month for an effects artist for an unannounced mobile game. The requirement was to know how to use Unity. I should have saved a screenshot. Either way I can't wait.

*Edit* The unannounced mobile project could be a Hearthstone expansion so maybe just 1 I.P.

Last edited by InventiveMeasures; 2017-07-14 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    What I'm trying to say is a direct dispute of your first comment where you said Blizzard would lose MMO credibility when WoW is worth pulling the plug on. They won't, probably ever, aside from the vocal minority that keeps predicting WoWs death.
    Yup, the same people who have been saying the game has been dead/dying since B.C.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it. I'm betting more RTS/multiplayer like OW. Likely new IP.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    -
    There's this awesome thing called factions. There needs to be a pvp aspect to the game and Diablo can easily give us 3 factions.
    Three? Yes. Humans alongside Demons and Nephalem, which is exactly what my post said? No.

In case it still isn't clear, I'm saying Humans are nowhere near equal in power to the other three.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrene View Post
    Blizzard said they won't make another MMO because they don't want to be known as the "MMO company". Of course they don't seem to have a problem with being known as the "makers of average, casual, multiplayer-centric games, to be milked for months until their hype dies down and so do they".
    At least Blizzard brings new stuff in not like shit EA who brings out for 20 years, every year a new Drive-In-Circles and Play-Soccer-On-Your-PC instead of something new....

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    For me "in style" was when WoW peaked at WOTLK. And that point in time was when players didn't mind sinking every single night into this game called WoW. They'd rush home from school, college or work just to log on and spend the entire night playing. Often grinding out levels or wiping repeatedly in instances that took an hour to form. It was a different type of gaming experience and players were a lot more prepared to do things the hard way and sink hours and hours and hours into the game because they didn't know any different.

Now that "niche" has gone and it's been replaced by a different demographic of player that has less time to spend in the game and different priorities. That that's why a lot of the changes we've seen since WOTLK are in place.

Could a new MMO come along and replicate that WOTLK era experience? No. Not in my opinion. Why? Because players simply don't want that type of experience anymore. Simple as that. And it's become very difficult to hold onto MMO player bases for that reason. Gaming and the internet is very much "pick and choose, lots of small experiences" rather than "omfg this game is the best game ever, i can't wait to go home and play it all night".
    Sorry to break it to you, but WOTLK defined the casualization an already casual MMO. And those "grindy" elements from before WOTLK and the Cataclysm revamp of 1-60 content, didn't come down to clever design choices. It came down to developers of a new MMO designing it for players also entirely new to the world, and falling short on a lot of polish and continuity. I've played that content later on, and whilst I can't deny that it was amazing for its time and the market back then, it's by no stretch aging well and it's painfully obvious on so many points where they simply did something without thinking about the next thing.

And not so sorry to break it to you, but apparently there are millions of us still "not minding" sinking every single night into this game called WoW.

It was even true for WoD, which held well over 4 million (think it was even 5?) despite being... well, WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Yup, the same people who have been saying the game has been dead/dying since B.C.
    And before then.

Had people say "this game won't last a year" apparently even in Classic. How years go by!
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-14 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    No, gaming has generally moved on from MMOs, I think.

The time and money it requires is probably not worth it.

I'd love to be proven wrong by Blizzard though. It would be awesome if they made another huge MMO success.
    BDO is flying in the face of this thinking, a KR mmo, with all its grinding ect is doing far better then expected. Gaming has moved on from copy and pasting wow would be a far more accurate assessment

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I wouldn't count on them ever doing another MMO. Gaming generally has moved on from the MMO genre. Which is one reason why most of them have failed.

Just to be clear I don't think they'll do an RTS any time soon either. If there's a genre that is more dead than MMORPG at this point it would be RTS.
    how many other games have made over 20 billion dollars? If its done right, an mmo or rts can be a massive success but it hasn't been done as well as the original starcraft or pre LFR/LFD/CRZ World of Warcraft so here we are with a bunch of untalented cash grabs that make people think the genre's are dead. The video game industry goes through this crap every decade or so: creative industry gets taken over by finance people and lawyers, then proceed to make reskinned soulless copies of successful older games.