Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I think they just need to make a challenging game with linear progression again rather then a everyone sees everything.

Making mmos single player games was a mistake.
    How quickly people forget the lessons of Wildstar.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I am willing to be you never played it...

Wildstar wasn't a hard game it was a hardcore game. It took months of doing but amounted to the apexis quest in Tanaan jungle just to get all the skill points for your character.

Wildstar failed because it resembled a Korean grind mmo more then a challenging mmo. I speak of the lessons of vanilla and tbc WoW. Maybe a bit of Wrath if they can keep the badge system under control. That thing needs to be tiered not everyone gets the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    People would server hop to the one where the AI benefitted them most.
    This.
    Basically a month after public beta started, there would be guides for servers to follow in order to create the perfect farming circumstances and all of that incredibly revolutionary work would go down the drain. Sadly it is the community that is the biggest problem of all online games

i agree to a lot primalmatter, Coffeexxbean and TheTruth1400 said.

same oppinion here.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    a true ai in games? Damn that would be crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    how quickly ppl failed to differentiate.
    how quickly ppl repeated the same idiotic argument for a 1000nd times, without any clue what they talkin about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It plays no differently than before as far as instanced content, for the most part. There are more things to do outside of raid that don't require you to sit around looking for groups for hours now. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing that you can approach the game as a single player and still get things done that matter. The game has more to do than ever before in both single and multiplayer content.
    That is kind the point. So much of the social aspect, the thing that imo makes an MMO an MMO, is gone precisely because you don't need anyone anymore. I think being a Mythic raider is about the only thing left that benefits immensely from being in a guild now. The game is so single player now, that other players are practically AI busy doing their own thing. I can't even remember the last time a really good instance run led to a new social connection. I think BC was the last time I met someone questing the same area and we decided to quest together and chat for a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Decyde View Post
    Mmo rpgs are a thing of the past.
    There's a reason why there has never been a wow killer and that's because companies can't afford to spend the money on the possibility to make money off of players.
    Companies would rather toss little money into the mobile market and make money the easy way anymore.
    Even Blizzard has stopped putting money in WoW for Legion and WoD. I don't think they fixed any bugs at all in Legion and WoD was a skeleton crew.
    Blizzard is more than glad at putting as little as they can into WoW because theyes will still get 3 million subscribers paying for it reguardless of how little is in it.
    All hail loot boxes anymore.
    yep. simple truth is wow only exists on a cost-effective route. the mantra of "put in least possible effort and get most possible money out of it" is their way to go. milk the existing, but dont invest anymore.

in a world only based on quarter numbers instead of long term investment and loyal customers, this is what happens. not only at blizz hq. result: there is no place for a genre (mmorpg) that needs to base on behaviours todays market cant and wont serve.

- quick access
    - scalable
    - cost effective
    - quarter numbers
    - agile
    - fast n pace
    - sandboxed
    - streamlined
    - mobile
    - payment economy
    - additional services
    - micro transactions

these are the buzzwords of todays game development. look at HS and HotS. and all the other games out there since > ~2006. put in quick access and some rpg (char dev) elements and achievements, and call it a day. regardless if its a third person action game, or GTA style, or Racing game, or Strategy or Sports game or whatever. its all based on the same patterns. the gaming community is trained on that sandbox shit (hop in, hop out) and to deny any commitment to any game.

brave new world.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2017-07-15 at 02:21 PM.

There will be no other MMORPG anytime, it's now a very risky market and there is much money to be made on smaller games (MOBAs for example)
    Last edited by Schmilblick; 2017-07-15 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You can solo mythic content?
    He didn't even say or suggest that. Good job though.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    There will be no other MMORPG anytime, it's now a very risky market and there much money to be made on small games (MOBAs for example)
    scalable. cost effective.

here are your buzzwords

OP is asking for the type of internet they had in the show Caprica and the book series Otherland. We'll get there eventually.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    everquest next was gonna have this

it will not take longer than 1-2 decades and the gaming market in this form, even as solely called "the gaming market", will not exist any longer. instead that market will merge into the overall "entertainment" market. full of cost effective halfassed streamlined shit. superficial as hell. for the quick deflection. nothing more.

quality gaming. dedicated gaming market. commitment to games. all things many of us can remember or to some degree still exists, will no more be existent in a decade or 2.

thats the world of tomorrow.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    yep. simple truth is wow only exists on a cost-effective route. the mantra of "put in least possible effort and get most possible money out of it" is their way to go. milk the existing, but dont invest anymore.

in a world only based on quarter numbers instead of long term investment and loyal customers, this is what happens. not only at blizz hq. its all based on the same patterns. the gaming community is trained on that and to deny any commitment to any game.

brave new world.
    Bang on! We want the results of the changes we make today, immediately if not tomorrow, otherwise something must clearly be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    I'll add my voice to the "MMOs are dead" camp.

WoW only survives thanks to its legacy.
    Yet EVE, ESO, and FF14 are doing very well, along with plenty others. There are more MMOs on the market today than ever. They are fine, just need to adjust to today's play styles. Something WoW has done well.

I think they just need to make a challenging game with linear progression again rather then a everyone sees everything.

The ideal MMO is one where the game is in the background and its about the social interaction between the players. An MMO exists to faciliate players interacting in a fantasy world. I think where it goes wrong is where an MMO exists to pad the CV of the game designers so they push changes just to make changes and promote their own careers.

That's why you get an MMO where they push content content content change change change and none of it feels like it means anything. Because what adds meaning is the social interaction.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by ponies View Post
    I think the next big mmorpg needs to have a living AI world that grows and changes an artificially creates its own lore and history depending on the interactions taken by players.
    The extra stupid people are the funniest. If you paid any attention to the news you would know that facebook has to keep pulling the plug on its chatbots because they keep creating languages humans cannot, and will never be able to understand

and you want to put that kind of thing into a GAME?
    Never believe you have seen the peak of human stupidity and ignorance, or you will constantly be surprised by the new levels the reach almost every day

because that worked so well for wildstar and blackdesert eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    because that worked so well for wildstar and blackdesert eh ?
    Cant speak for black desert but you never played wildstar if you believe that is true.