Computer not fully shutting down?

So I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. Everything went pretty smoothly overall however...

I now have a new issue. Now to start off, this is not something I can repeat. It seems to just happen sometimes however it is often enough where I finally decided to make a post about it. I have looked around on windows forums but none of them seem to know the issue. Most of them say it is a power saving issue where the computer instead goes to sleep rather than shutting down but I have sleep mode entirely turned off all the time. Besides that this was never an issue until I updated my hardware, so I figured people here would possibly know more about it.

Now onto the issue. Every now and then as the title suggests my computer will not fully shut down. The monitor display will shut off which is normal, then sometimes the keyboard and mouse lights go off (I have Razer stuff), but the computer fans and lights will stay on. Some people say it just takes a few minutes and I agree sometimes it does take about a minute or two before the computer shuts down, but sometimes... It takes forever. I am talking 30 minutes to sometimes several hours. I finally just have to hold the power button until it shuts off. Luckily this does not cause any errors and has never asked to boot in safe mode due to an issue, but I have not had to do a manual shutdown since windows 95. To add there is also no way to bring the computer out of this state. Tapping the keyboard and mouse or anything else will not "wake up" the computer.

For reference I have an ASUS Z270-A and an intel i5 7600k. Those are the two pieces of hardware I upgraded.

Does anyone know what the issue may be or what setting there is that may be causing this?
    I like anime and stuff.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's... strange.

This is honestly something I've never seen before, but have you checked your event logs? Maybe see if anything shows up there?

Check your BIOS to make sure it's up-to-date, perhaps?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I saw an issue like this recently on a laptop that was severely overheating and caused damage to the motherboard/CPU. Windows would shut down when told to but the system would remained powered until the power button was held down to manually cut power to the system. That is the only time I have seen something similar to what your describing. I doubt the causes are the same but I figured I would toss in my 2 cents.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a similar issue where anytime it was shutdown incorrectly via the button on the case it would just boot up on it's own a few seconds later.

I had to do a proper shutdown in Windows for it to stay off. This was with a 7 year old P67 motherboard + case, and unsurprisingly the motherboard died a few weeks ago.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    That's... strange.

This is honestly something I've never seen before, but have you checked your event logs? Maybe see if anything shows up there?

Check your BIOS to make sure it's up-to-date, perhaps?
    Not sure how to check manually that the BIOS is up to date, however I will say since this is a new motherboard it did have a list of drivers to install but the newegg video I was watching said only some of them actually matter.
    Also not sure where to see event logs and even if I did I'd probably have to wait till the next time it happens which is hard considering I can't get this to happen every time. It just randomly does it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helieos View Post
    I saw an issue like this recently on a laptop that was severely overheating and caused damage to the motherboard/CPU. Windows would shut down when told to but the system would remained powered until the power button was held down to manually cut power to the system. That is the only time I have seen something similar to what your describing. I doubt the causes are the same but I figured I would toss in my 2 cents.
    Yeah heat can't do it cause when idle my CPU is only at 31c which is hardly enough to cause damage. Interesting that it is the exact same issue.
    I like anime and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect the motherboard. Download speccy to check your motherboard bios version. Then check your manufacturer's website for your motherboard and see what's the newest bios version they offer for download.

What OS is this? I'm guessing not 95. Have you tried

Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable
    Then remove the check from Turn on fast startup (recommended)

Sometimes this will hang it. Powering it off without it shutting down might not cause issues now but could in the future.

Is Windows still updating just the screen is blank?

Does it do this if you boot into safe mode and shut down from safe mode?

Are you always shutting down the same way? And what way is that?

Via power button? Via StartMenu --> Shutdown?

I have no idea where I'm going with this honestly. Just tossing out requests for info that maybe a smarter person can use.

I'm pretty sure there's a "Do this when power is pressed" setting somewhere, so maybe if sometimes you were shutting down via windows, and sometimes via power button, and they were set to different things... Like I said, it's a stretch, and I have no real idea.

I second checking the event log to see if there's something hanging up, and poking around in bios for power settings (though I've never seen such a thing in bios that I can recall)

Edit: Dude above types faster

Quote Originally Posted by Griffmstr View Post
    So I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. Everything went pretty smoothly overall however...

I now have a new issue. Now to start off, this is not something I can repeat. It seems to just happen sometimes however it is often enough where I finally decided to make a post about it. I have looked around on windows forums but none of them seem to know the issue. Most of them say it is a power saving issue where the computer instead goes to sleep rather than shutting down but I have sleep mode entirely turned off all the time. Besides that this was never an issue until I updated my hardware, so I figured people here would possibly know more about it.

Now onto the issue. Every now and then as the title suggests my computer will not fully shut down. The monitor display will shut off which is normal, then sometimes the keyboard and mouse lights go off (I have Razer stuff), but the computer fans and lights will stay on. Some people say it just takes a few minutes and I agree sometimes it does take about a minute or two before the computer shuts down, but sometimes... It takes forever. I am talking 30 minutes to sometimes several hours. I finally just have to hold the power button until it shuts off. Luckily this does not cause any errors and has never asked to boot in safe mode due to an issue, but I have not had to do a manual shutdown since windows 95. To add there is also no way to bring the computer out of this state. Tapping the keyboard and mouse or anything else will not "wake up" the computer.

For reference I have an ASUS Z270-A and an intel i5 7600k. Those are the two pieces of hardware I upgraded.

Does anyone know what the issue may be or what setting there is that may be causing this?
    did you do a fresh install of windows, your not ment to carry over a installtion when swapping mobos and cpu. Also do you really NEED to turn off your pc?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the same thing, I stopped caring and just hold down the power button now after "shutting down" via power menu to force shut off. It happens when I went to Win10 and I suspect it's running off low power state that Haswell and on has.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I have the same thing, I stopped caring and just hold down the power button now after "shutting down" via power menu to force shut off. It happens when I went to Win10 and I suspect it's running off low power state that Haswell and on has.
    I have Haswell-E, that's what 5820K is if I recall right XD and Windows 10 and don't have this. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I have Haswell-E, that's what 5820K is if I recall right XD and Windows 10 and don't have this. :P
    I have came to the conclusion that it hates me.

This exact thing happens to me too. I have a Asus Z97-A and a i7 4790k. Only started happening with Windows 10.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Try and re-install Win10. The same thing happen't to me the first time i was running Win10. After a re-install the problem was gone
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: