Deleted

Upgrading GPU & Monitor

So it's been almost 3 years since I bought my last PC, now I got some more money saved and thinking about upgrading not only in GPU but also in monitor.

• Budget
      I'm gonna take a rough estimation of my budget being €1800 in total for both the monitor and the GPU. I haven't checked market prices as I don't really know what resolution monitor I can combine with the fitting gpu to play games on ultra (mostly). I have some room to play with budget wise depending on what I gain vs the cost.
    • Resolution
      I want to be able to run every game at ultra (in theory, I know some games are simply not optimised and require sacrifices) for the upcoming 2-4 years. Hence I will list the range of resolutions I'm considering.

I don't know chich of these come in ultra wide variations, but I want an ultrawide monitor with at least 144hz.
      • QHD / WQHD (2560×1440)
      • QHD+ (3200×1800)
      • UWQHD (3440×1440)
      • UW4K (3840×1600)
      • 4K UHD (3840×2160)
      • DCI 4K (4096×2160)

Also I want to note that I'm neutral in terms of AMD or Nvidia, I want the best bang for buck. I also don't mind waiting a few months if a price drop is coming for both the GPU & Monitor.

• Games / Settings Desired
      I want to be able to run every game at ultra (in theory, I know some games are simply not optimised and require sacrifices) for the upcoming 2-4 years.
      The only upcoming game I'm really looking forward too is Destiny 2, but I play all genres so just picture all high end games.
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
      No. Just gaming.
    • Country
      Belgium
    • Parts that can be reused
      Parts than I'm currently using are listed below.

• GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4gb
    • CPU: Core i7 4790K CPU
    • Power supply: PRO550W voeding
    • Motherboard: Z97 Gaming 5
    • SSD: Crucial MX100 256gb
    • Box: Carbide Air 540 Cube
    • Cooling unit: Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2017-07-16 at 12:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is that € 900,- on the monitor and GFX TOGETHER or separately?

Because if so you're going to be short for a UW 144Hz monitor along with a GFX card (1080Ti basically for what you want - unconfirmed speed reports for RX Vega possibly as well).

An UW 1080p is not worth it really, an UW 1440p is but costs rise exponentially and UW 2160p ... Good luck with that one.

My recommendation:
    If it's just € 900,- in total, save up a little more for a UW 1440p 144Hz + 1080Ti.
    If both are separate ... then we're in business.

Only thing you'd have to do is overclock the shit out of that 4790K.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post

Because if so you're going to be short for a UW 144Hz monitor along with a GFX card (1080Ti basically for what you want - unconfirmed speed reports for RX Vega possibly as well).

An UW 1080p is not worth it really, an UW 1440p is but costs rise exponentially and UW 2160p ... Good luck with that one.

My recommendation:
    If it's just € 900,- in total, save up a little more for a UW 1440p 144Hz + 1080Ti.

I agree with the bold part, if you are going for ultra-wide save a little so you can do it properly.

I would go for a 1440p ultra-wide myself and a 1080ti (ONLY if you really do play other games than blizzard) else a regular 1080 would be fine too.

Deleted

My recommendation:

It wasn't the total budget, let's assume the total budget is around €1800 (I have room to play with).

I clarified this in the OP, I'm sorry for the poorly formulated post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    I agree with the bold part, if you are going for ultra-wide save a little so you can do it properly.

I would go for a 1440p ultra-wide myself and a 1080ti (ONLY if you really do play other games than blizzard) else a regular 1080 would be fine too.
    I made the budget more clear in the OP, I'm sorry for the confusion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well then.. for Graphics cards we've got the following:
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
    ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080Ti OC
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti FTW3

For monitors we have currently only 2 real options available, no UW 1440p 144Hz exists yet till Q4 of this year.
    It's the same principle but locked to 100Hz refresh rate instead:
    Acer Predator X34A - IPS - 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
    ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q - IPS - 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync

The monitors you SPECIFICALLY want will come out end of this year and are the following:
    Acer Predator X35 and the ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ
    Note that the previously 2 linked 100Hz monitors do not have HDR and the 2 new monitors at the end of the year will have HDR.
    The difference will be that they will be even more expensive than the ones currently available.

Pick your poison, and yes I linked Tweakers.net with shop choices because I know most of those ship to Belgium as well and are cheaper than in Belgium itself.
    And you could potentially just do a pick-up run during a saturday or something, not like Belgium is far away.

Deleted
    Well then.. for Graphics cards we've got the following:
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
    ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080Ti OC
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti FTW3

For monitors we have currently only 2 real options available, no UW 1440p 144Hz exists yet till Q4 of this year.
    It's the same principle but locked to 100Hz refresh rate instead:
    Acer Predator X34A - IPS - 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
    ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q - IPS - 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync

The monitors you SPECIFICALLY want will come out end of this year and are the following:
    Acer Predator X35 and the ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ
    Note that the previously 2 linked 100Hz monitors do not have HDR and the 2 new monitors at the end of the year will have HDR.
    The difference will be that they will be even more expensive than the ones currently available.

Pick your poison, and yes I linked Tweakers.net with shop choices because I know most of those ship to Belgium as well and are cheaper than in Belgium itself.
    And you could potentially just do a pick-up run during a saturday or something, not like Belgium is far away.
    Any reason I should stick with Nvidia specifically? I've heard that AMD has been upping their game since last year and brought really good gpu's aswell now for a cheaper price. The monitors you linked I also came across so I'll keep that in mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    Any reason I should stick with Nvidia specifically? I've heard that AMD has been upping their game since last year and brought really good gpu's aswell now for a cheaper price. The monitors you linked I also came across so I'll keep that in mind.
    There's simply no high-end GPU out right now for AMD, RX Vega will be released end of July but the expectations of performance is between 1080 and 1080Ti.

Of course this could alter significantly IF RX Vega uses a different die build-up to Vega FE but that's what we've currently deduced based on the Vega FE specs.

For the resolution and desires you have you simply are looking for the high-end and until I see RX Vega's performance the crown is retained by the 1080Ti because the highest AMD card out there is an RX 580 which is a good card but it's a GTX 1060 class for comparison, meaning there are 3 tiers of performance above it that is only occupied by nVidia.

If at the end of July AMD brings out RX Vega and it's performing on par to 1080Ti then good stuff and you'll have an option for that as well but you're going to have to upgrade the PSU then.

Technically it might be a smart idea to do so nonetheless ... because I assumed your PSU to be the XFX Pro 550W due to the name, please correct me if I'm wrong and then show me EXACTLY which PSU you have.

Deleted
    There's simply no high-end GPU out right now for AMD, RX Vega will be released end of July but the expectations of performance is between 1080 and 1080Ti.

Of course this could alter significantly IF RX Vega uses a different die build-up to Vega FE but that's what we've currently deduced based on the Vega FE specs.

For the resolution and desires you have you simply are looking for the high-end and until I see RX Vega's performance the crown is retained by the 1080Ti because the highest AMD card out there is an RX 580 which is a good card but it's a GTX 1060 class for comparison, meaning there are 3 tiers of performance above it that is only occupied by nVidia.

If at the end of July AMD brings out RX Vega and it's performing on par to 1080Ti then good stuff and you'll have an option for that as well but you're going to have to upgrade the PSU then.

Technically it might be a smart idea to do so nonetheless ... because I assumed your PSU to be the XFX Pro 550W due to the name, please correct me if I'm wrong and then show me EXACTLY which PSU you have.
    It's the XFX TS 550W...I don't see to find any "pro" on the box.

I don't plan on waiting till Juli though, I wanna purchase the upgrade this year unless I know for a fact I'll get a massive gain performance for less or equal amount of money waiting till next year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    It's the XFX TS 550W...I don't see to find any "pro" on the box.

I don't plan on waiting till Juli though, I wanna purchase the upgrade this year unless I know for a fact I'll get a massive gain performance for less or equal amount of money waiting till next year.
    It is July right now... end of this month.

Deleted
    It is July right now... end of this month.
    Ye I figured you wouldn't use the term waiting for the current month. lol

So basically I just have to wait 1-2 months to see how the new AMD gpu holds up against the 1080ti? (benchmarking is gonna take a while I guess)

Monitor I think NEC PA322UHD configuration is good

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nlfyskiod View Post
    Monitor I think NEC PA322UHD configuration is good
    It's clearly not what I asked for in the OP though.