Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    "Lets piss off John and Sansa, for no tangible reason!"

Did he have any actual reason in the show for giving Sansa to Roose? I don't remember.
    Dude, I rewatched the entire series and this was one of the things that irritated me the most.

In the books, he clearly had a plan since the beginning, and when confirmed, those plans make Sansa's chapters finally interesting.

But in the show, he just give her to Bolton with no personal gain of benefit for his masterplan.

Biggest plothole in the entire series, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicrusader View Post
    Dude, I rewatched the entire series and this was one of the things that irritated me the most.

In the books, he clearly had a plan since the beginning, and when confirmed, those plans make Sansa's chapters finally interesting.

But in the show, he just give her to Bolton with no personal gain of benefit for his masterplan.

Biggest plothole in the entire series, if you ask me.
    Yup, show Baelish is basically purposeless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Its a common sleep aid that Tyrion recommends to a restless Sansa when they are wed and that Tywin orders Pycelle to give to Joffrey, the vial Pycelle gives Cersci had enough to kill a few people, your average castle would have jars/jugs of it in storage. Especially one with a brood as big as the Twins, like i said this is just an example. Walder probably had worse in his stores.

- - - Updated - - -

Your using a semi canon source from 12 years ago when talking about the show now. The Islands have thralls who can work oars who wouldn't be counted in those faulty fighting men figures anyway.

To me this strikes me as you conveniently making D & D seem randomly dumber. House Frey is strong in the show because they are the defacto lords of the Riverlands.
    No. 1000 ships in a fleet is fucking huge. The Battle of Economus between Rome and Carthage is thought to be the largest naval engagement ever, it involved roughly 700 ships and 300,000 rowers/marines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Are there really people who think Jon allowed someone to drag a giants dead body 600+ miles to the north and beyond the wall and leave it there for the others to reanimate?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I imagine she spent some time observing him beforehand.

Walder was old, crass and a little excentric, all perfect covers for suspicious behaviour. S/he could just tell them to fuck off and mind their own business, and they'd do it and think it was perfectly normal for him.
    I imagine that there is more to the art of being a "many faced" individual than simply putting on a mask and talking the talk. I mean to some degree things like magical / divine influence and such come into play. I mean I am sure Walt was taller than her, bigger boned, and all of that jazz too but no one seemed to pick up on that. If the "mask" can correct these issues I am sure personality and mannerisms could easily be translated in a similar manner. At least that's my opinion.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just want someone to say my name the way the Hound says 'cunt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I bursted out laughing when he called Thoros a bald cunt
    I thought he called Thoros a bald cocksucker.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    I thought he called Thoros a bald cocksucker.

He calls him both

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Sure, it's semi canon, but it doesn't make sense that the Greyjoys could come up with 1000 ships. The Iron Islands are supposed to be small and underpopulated. The whole of the North can only come up with like 20k men.

Edit: in the show, Theon says that they were outnumbered 10 to 1 in the rebellion. To me that sounds like 20k men against 200k. The Iron Islands are small, they shouldn't be able to have Euron just be like "Dudes, build me a thousand ships" and 6 months later they have their fleet.

Oh and by the way, they were supposedly crushed in the rebellion and suffered heavy casualties a decade ago. They shouldn't be able to put together such a strong force so fast. In the books they're not nearly as strong.

Here's another one: the wiki says it took Balon 5 years to construct the Iron Fleet and that fleet is 100 ships. So again, how do they go from producing 20 ships a year to 200 ships a month? Because remember, Yara and Theon took most of their existing fleet to Meereen.

The answer of course, is that they can't. But D&D set it up so that they Lannisters look weak and need strong allies, so they made the Greyjoys way too strong.

- - - Updated - - -

From this day forth, all the toilets in the kingdom shall be known as... johns!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah Sam's montage was terrible. I read one review that described it as the new Theon scene - i.e. the scene you fast forward through.

It seems like they're not going to spend a ton of time on Sam in Oldtown, it's just gonna be a generic rotten institution, he's gonna figure out some way to get what he needs to get and barely get out alive.
    Again your using book statics for the show but any way,

Balon's Iron fleet was Galley sized not longship sized. the majority of the 1000 are probably longships we see this in the shot of the fleet. Euron's flag ship is a Galley, the rest a far less impressive.

They would have thralls to row, thralls likely wouldn't be counted in their military force

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Its worth keeping in mind that much of the dialogue in the first 5 seasons was coming straight from the books. GRRM has 40+ years of experience in writing dialogue and is obviously much better at characterizing the characters he created and knowing what they would say and how they would react. D&D while being credited as writers were really just straight adapting much of what is in the books up until last season. Now they are just working off a rough outline and having to fill in all the dialogue themselves.
    Good point. All those pithy one liners and the deep layered dialogue. I hope they maintain it and the depth of the interactions don't suffer.

It's complicated figuring out the effect of the lack of books on the series. Maybe this wouldn't have bothered me as much if I had the books because the books really do flesh things out. I'm actually trying to avoid more theories this year the shows are better without them.

The other minor thing that bothered me is, how in holy hell do the Greyjoys have 1000 ships? I googled and the wiki says that the Greyjoys could raise 20k fighting men and each ship requires 50 oarsmen, which puts us at 400 at most.

To me this strikes me as d & d conveniently making the bad guys randomly stronger (similar to what they did with house Frey).
    One of my least favorite story writing/lore tactics is when producers/authors reconcile things after the fact on the fly, using creative license and exploiting grey area. It's something I feel happens in Warcraft, and D&D could be riding that line unfortunately. I hear they are genuine GoT fans so I'm optimistic they'll uphold the quality of the dialogue and the continuity of the show.
    Last edited by Zayv; 2017-07-18 at 05:35 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think it being 2 weeks is worse than being 2 days, because that means A) No one found Walder Freys dead body in two weeks, and, more unbelievably, B) Arya impersonated a man she never met for 2 weeks without anyone being suspicious.
    she probably didn't kill him immediately after the Lannisters left. she could have waited a week/week and a half, done the deed then sent for the rest of them. It would only take a few days for them to get to The Twins

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    But she would want all the Freys to come to the Twins, not all of them are there after all.
    Also, a Maester has enough 'poison' (most of it is medicinal) for normal useage.
    Not for the massmurder of dozens of people.
    If you want to nitpick, you are better off complaining about Arya passing as walder for more than an hour.

- - - Updated - - -

Within a forthnight means within the same 14 days, because that's what it fucking means.
    Yup. So could be 1 day ranging all the way up to 14.

Deleted
    Can't bran see into the future? I was thinking if it's Wun Wun in the walker scene maybe it's a glimp into the future? Not saying it is so, it's just a theory.

A future when the walkers have crossed the wall and taken the north.

Really a pity what they did with Littlefinger. Such fantastic potential, but for three episodes he just stands around knowingly smiling. Remembering the dialogues with Varys, and now he may not even answer. Just assume he was about to say something clever.
    He really seems to be a side character now that's taking up screentime, I assume they will try to get rid of his character as soon as possible.

Talking about taking up screentime, I hope they get over with the Sam plot. Except seeing how Oldtown looks he really doesn't add anything, and I don't get why he deserves so much time. I can only assume the character exists so some nerdy chubby couch potato has someone to identify with.

Cersei going fully mad, she even called Tommen a traitor. Jaime listing her enemies and how much of an underdog they are. I don't see what Euron's fleet might help them militarily, and that house Lannister is completely broke and was barely suriving with Tyrells support seems to be no issue anymore, another forgotten plot. It's obvious that Euron probably finds something Cersei can kill Dragons with, so I fully assume at least Drogon is going to die in the battle of queens.

The opening scene with Arya going full vengeance on the Freys was surprisingly detailed, I thought with the Walder scene from last season we were finished here. Entertaining nonetheless. Just curious what they plan her to do to the soldiers, everything seems possible here.

I also don't get why they want so desperately to portrait the Hound as such a purged and good human. And the fire scene really felt cringy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Yup. So could be 1 day ranging all the way up to 14.
    Yes but if it with in a week she would have said with in a week.

If it was with in a day she would have said within days.

It would be like me say the my dentist appointment in 5 minutes is within a week instead of with a few minutes.

So in all likelihood it was between 8-14 days. Occam's razor and all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Yes but if it with in a week she would have said with in a week.

If it was with in a day she would have said within days.

It would be like me say the my dentist appointment in 5 minutes is within a week instead of with a few minutes.

So in all likelihood it was between 8-14 days. Occam's razor and all.
    You should know Occams razor doesnt apply to GoT.

10+ Year Old Account
    So someone shared this not too long ago:

Have no idea if it means anything, but I do remember in the "spoiler recap" someone posted on Reddit it did have mentions of Tyrion.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

1000 ships = strong in my book.
    Freys <> Greyjoys
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Amazing episode right there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    So someone shared this not too long ago:

Have no idea if it means anything, but I do remember in the "spoiler recap" someone posted on Reddit it did have mentions of Tyrion.
    Looks like a dead tyrion doll to me...