Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Not looking at the road for a split second isn't going to hurt you. You can still text and look at the road at the same time, you just need more practice. So it's a silly law and redundant.
    It's a law because it's statistically more lethal than drunk driving. You can say not looking for a split second won't hurt you, but that split second it all it takes for some yahoo to gun it through a red light and T-Bone you in the intersection. Laws against impaired and distracted driving exist to protect the majority populace from someone operating a one-ton machine without fear of some idiot plowing through an intersection and taking out a few pedestrians, not to arbitrarily punish the few people who can multitask and safely split their attention in a 45-50-mile-per-hour environment that requires constant adjustments and awareness.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's only emotions, most studies shows that peoples ability to drive safely are greatly impacted by texting and driving. There are some really good and indepth studies about it.

Now, if that warrants a law or not it's something up to you... Let's say that you were proved wrong and in fact the majority of people's ability to drive safely were screwed by texting, would you still be against any legistalion about it?

It doesn't do any of what you think it does only a.few can't do it doesn't mean everyone who is able to do it should get fucked over it.
    "I drink and drive all the time...I've never had a problem."
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it is not a serious problem and it isn't unsafe texting for long periods of time however is, you have to know when you can effectively do it without getting hurt while driving.
    Tell that to your relative. I'm sure they'd agree that it's no big deal if someone looks away from the road for a couple seconds to answer a text.

Oh, wait. That exact scenario killed them and that exact scenario is what these laws aim to prevent.

"It isn't a bad thing to take your eyes off the road despite the overwhelming evidence that yes, it actually is."

10+ Year Old Account
    There seems to be alot more tighter and stricter laws being passed over every year only because someone's loved ones get killed over because of something that didn't get passed as a law to make it illegal, for an example http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/advo...-law/563241932 state.

Texting and driving isn't bad ad it doesn't hurt everyone, you've got to be joking with me if you think it is and somehow its severely going to impact your driving, it doesn't. Same goes for eating grooming yourself and other things while driving

Ok so some ppl can't multi task and end up getting into an accident, so what? What about the other people who don't get into an accident and can multitask? It isn't that bad and overall people are actually good about it than people that aren't so good with it so we should ban it? That makes no sense. Those texting and driving ads you sometimes see on the commercials shouldn't fool anyone with half a brain, as it isn't even like that when the average person does it. I usually type one letter at a time when I text and drive and it's short sentences and if I really need to I can just pull over to the side text something and tell the other guy I'm busy on the road, there shouldn't be a law to. tell me I need to do that, you tell yourself that. I've done it without getting into any problems and accidents for the past 10 years. It's alot of propaganda to intimidate people and turn on people's feelings that cloud their judgement. You have to realize way fewer people get hurt by it then people who don't get hurt by it, it's all just emotions, and it's those emotions that fucks with everyone else over.

Let me address that I've had a family member been killed by someone who was texting and driving. It happened two years ago and it still hurts to see him go and it feels weird to not see that person around anymore, it sucks it's like a hole in my heart and a part of me is gone.

But at the same time the moment I advocate a law to be passed because my thoughts and judgement get clouded by my emotions, it fucks everyone and society over. Because I know not everyone else is as bad as that driver, and the majority actually aren't that bad otherwise there should be way more accidents than non accidents. Driving is dangerous in the first place. Life is dangerous. Should we ban and put tighter restrictions on everything that might hurt us like guns, drugs, and other behaviors on the road that other people disagree with? Absolutely not. My stance on it still hasn't changed even after having my family member being killed by a terrible driver who happened to be incapable of multitasking that the majority can easily do without problems. So why instead does people's emotions continue to cloud their judgement and pass shitty laws that fuck over people who don't have this problem huh?
    So... you might be able to hold your liquor better than the next guy, does that mean you should be able to drink and drive since you don't 'have this problem huh?'

What a positively ridiculous, almost hilariously stupid post.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like OP is the one with judgment clouded by emotion.

So what you're saying is that text that someone sent which then caused them to get into an accident with your family member and kill them was more important than their life? Glad to see where you stand. People can wait 10 or so minutes to text back while not driving, and if you believe that texting and driving truly isn't stupid and doesn't impede judgement then please back it up. Also why do mods let people like this post their fake character rhetoric over and over?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    "It isn't a bad thing to take your eyes off the road despite the overwhelming evidence that yes, it actually is."
    What gets me is that slim has lost a family member to this exact scenario and still can't process that yes, distractions while operating a one-ton machine greatly increase the chances that you will kill or maim somebody when you're going 45-50 miles an hour or in a busy city street.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgasm View Post
    I don't think it's only emotions, most studies shows that peoples ability to drive safely are greatly impacted by texting and driving. There are some really good and indepth studies about it.

Now if, that warrants a law or not it's something up to you... Let's say that you were proved wrong and in fact the majority of people's ability to drive safely were screwed by texting, would you still be against any legistalion about it?
    That's the problem with this guy. There is ENORMOUS proof that texting and driving is unsafe. That is why laws were written in the first place. He believes they are in place to somehow restrict freedoms and liberty when in fact they were enacted after lengthy study found it to be extremely dangerous and worth regulating.

This guy is just flat out wrong in his assessment of the laws.

"Yes we live in a society that guarantees your freedom of speech. That same law, however, does not guarantee anything you say is correct."-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Another thing, go to any state in the US and driving is not a right of any citizen. It is a privilege granted to its citizens. That privilege does not extend to you endangering anyone else's life.
    Last edited by talwynn; 2017-07-18 at 05:00 AM.

I'm somewhat amazed that someone can write so much in defence of this. How can someone be this ignorant?

Once again Want my Slimjim proves that no matter what the issue is... he can find his way to the wrong side of it.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I been texting and driving since the motorola Razor. No car crashes ever. Your move.
    I can drive from my favorite bar to my apartment without getting in a wreck, doesn't mean drunk driving doesn't account for one of the highest causes of death in most countries. Personal anecdotes < in-depth studies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by talwynn View Post
    This idiot again.

Texting and driving is worse than drunk driving. Multiple studies have been done on this subject.

http://www.bisociety.org/texting-whi...ore-dangerous/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/81...ving-study.htm

If texting and driving is so safe then why is it 100% illegal for professional drivers to text or even manipulate their cell phones while driving a tractor trailer? All a professional driver can do is press a single button to answer a phone, they cannot hold the phone to their ear. They have to have a hands free headset. Go to any truck stop across America, and you will see literally every single professional driver wearing a headset.
    Those are bogus studies texting is not like like drinking 4 beers, your brain is more active when texting when your brain being intoxicated by beer isnt, it's a terrible analogy.

Cnn seems to have failed to bring up a study which I'm not surprised, the reality seems to contradict it.

Ill address it again texting a driving has a tiny of your time looking at the road, you may have seen a woman teenager
    Texting on the road and you might think that's how everyone drives on the road when they do it, that isn't the case when in reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    You can't underestimate or understate the potential lack of regard someone here in the west might have when it comes to putting others' lives in danger because of carelessness.

There are a lot of people here who are downright idiots. And it's never their fault, never.
    More people aren't carelessness when texting and driving then people who are.

Those are bogus studies texting is not like like drinking 4 beers, your brain is more active when texting when your brain being intoxicated by beer isnt, it's a terrible analogy.

Cnn seems to have failed to bring up a study which I'm not surprised, the reality seems to contradict it.

Ill address it again texting a driving has a tiny of your time looking at the road, you may have seen a woman teenager
    Texting on the road and you might think that's how everyone drives on the road when they do it, that isn't the case when in reality.
    I hope you dont kill anyone with your ignorance. You should try push this agenda in your area and make sure you tell everyone that you do it all the time. I'm here hoping they take your license away.

Per the United States,
    40,200 deaths last year say people shouldn't be driving as is. Let alone with any sort of distractions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santura View Post
    It's a good thing I've developed skills to spot a troll thread.
    There have been research studies done on this topic. It's your word against statistical research, and you won't win.
    There are none.

Go ahead and propose an amendment to the law that delineates between teenage girls and big manly men like you texting on the road.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    More people aren't carelessness when texting and driving then people who are.
    Holy shit I just pissed myself laughing. You don't think drivers in America are careless? For real? Oh you sweet, sweet summer child...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So... you might be able to hold your liquor better than the next guy, does that mean you should be able to drink and drive since you don't 'have this problem huh?'

What a positively ridiculous, almost hilariously stupid post.
    Those two aren't even the same. You can't fool.people with this crap.