Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    I can't remember who made this masterpiece the last time around

Wow, this is everything I ever wanted. Like a wet dream turned into an imagine.

This is the official, boat song for the thread:

I'm still very curious as to what the expansion's name will be. The very files that have sparked this discussion heavily imply that Kul Tiras will be in the title, which is unexpected, but not necessarily a problem.

There's a lot of discussion about how Blizzard names their expansions, but I think at this point the closest thing to a pattern they have is: they're direct.

The Burning Crusade: Named for the Legion's war that we set back by the end (which admittedly was overshadowed by Illidan's presence, but a lot of things were messy that early in the game).
    Wrath of the Lich King: Puts the villain front and center.
    Cataclysm: The name of the event that changed the status quo in both lore and gameplay.
    Mists of Pandaria: Probably the least direct. Refers to an aspect of Pandaria that was relevant to why we first arrived at that time, but otherwise wasn't very important or focused on.
    Warlords of Draenor: The main villains.
    Legion: Concise to really get across that the Legion has come in full force.

In other words, while I don't mean to say it can't happen, and I've even guessed a name like "The Dark Tide of Kul Tiras" myself, I think we'll get something a bit more literal (although that could end up being literal if N'Zoth had liquid corruption starting to lap at the shores, for instance). Red Shirt Guy decided to go with "Shadows of Kul Tiras" instead of his preferred "The Shadow over Kul Tiras" (after The Shadow over Innsmouth) for his speculation, but I feel like he underestimates the possibility. While "Shadows of Kul Tiras" sounds more similar to the other expansions, it implies a much more symbolic name. Now, obviously "The Shadow over Kul Tiras" isn't much different in that symbolism, but the different wording subtly implies a more direct threat. It's not just vague "shadows" related to Kul Tiras, it's The Shadow, which would also be much easier to actually use as a nickname for N'Zoth or the Void in-universe, making it essentially the name of the villain.

The idea of tone in the "South Seas" is an interesting point. Sometimes I feel like there's a subconscious assumption that islands equal tropical vacation, but it really could go either way. Legion itself actually avoided being too dark in most of its areas, so even if you wanted a contrast you could still go either way.

You could go for sunny skies, blue seas, and lush, green islands. You could also go with stormy skies, deadly waves, and shipwrecks. That's not to mention mixing that up by zone, obviously.

I think it's important to note that the ocean is actually a pretty dark place in Warcraft. Zandalar was the center of an empire who has turned to dark powers more than once to save their skins. Kul Tiras was a shining nation at one point, but it had its share of tragedies and ultimately lost its leader in a far off land to his own failings before the entire island drifted off thanks to the Cataclysm. N'Zoth has lain dormant under the sea for millennia, certainly spreading his influence. The Well of Eternity and the origin of the Sundering sits right smack dab in the middle, creating a region that is treacherous to this day. Underneath the Maelstrom is Nazjatar, the capital of those who almost doomed the world 10,000 years ago, now naga who aren't very nice and consort with dark powers themselves. Arguably, the lands that exist between the major continents have actually seen some of the worst of Azeroth's history.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2017-07-18 at 04:34 AM.

world of warcraft: the black tide

-a warcraft 3 reference
    -black because of the black empire
    -tide because of the nagas

@Jokubas

Personally, I'd love "Shadows over Kul Tiras". It's simple enough.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft: Darktides of Southseas

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it is Kul'Tiras, then I would expect to see Kezan and Zandalar in their entirety as well. Maybe we will see a true maritime expansion?

(island south of the Khaz Modan label is Kul Tiras)
    Last edited by Chain Chungus; 2017-07-18 at 07:03 AM.

I just had a thought about all those naval ideas. If Blizzard decide to put naval battles and player controlled boats, its very much likely that they will not be satisfied with their current water system. I mean wherever you go, water is just this still plane with textures on it. Its ok for fast travel between continents and beach side views, but if they really implement naval stuff, it will simply be not enough to support that player fantasy. So either we're looking at major technological feature coming to us, or there will be no boats and shit.

p.s. I'm aware of maelstrom vortex and that helia dungeon with big waves, but those are just smokescreen, designed specifically for these locations.
    Last edited by DelusionalBear; 2017-07-18 at 07:19 AM.

World of Warcraft : We have seen enough Hentai to know what will happen with all those tentacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Donald View Post
    If it is Kul'Tiras, then I would expect to see Kezan and Zandalar in their entirety as well. Maybe we will see a true maritime expansion?

i think theyre gonna broken islesify kul'tiras and likely zandalar and kezan as well in the future.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

WoW, I didn't realise how small the Broken Isles were back then.

Thank you for this map, its proof enough that they can easily make an expansion from Kul' Tiras, even from Kezan and Tel Abim, those places are huge if you compared them to the Broken Isles.

But again if we take a look at the more recent Azeroth map of Chronicles the Broken Isles are huge compared to Kul'tiras. I don't know if they're willing to retconn Chronicles so soon.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    WoW, I didn't realise how small the Broken Isles were back then.

Thank you for this map, its proof enough that they can easily make an expansion from Kul' Tiras, even from Kezan and Tel Abim, those places are huge if you compared them to the Broken Isles.

But again if we take a look at the more recent Azeroth map of Chronicles the Broken Isles are huge compared to Kul'tiras. I don't know if they're willing to retconn Chronicles so soon.
    Here is another tasty tidbit:

Here is another tasty tidbit:

Seems pretty small

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    I'm still very curious as to what the expansion's name will be. The very files that have sparked this discussion heavily imply that Kul Tiras will be in the title, which is unexpected, but not necessarily a problem.
    The word Kul'Tiras is a bit of a mouthful in itself without extra words surrounding it. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just World of Warcraft: Kul'Tiras.

I highly doubt that even if we get an expansion focusing on Kul'Tiras, Kul'Tiras itself will be on the title of said expansion, I'm guessing that it will be more focused in the threat, something among the lines of:

- Rise of the Naga.
    - Rise of the Deep.
    - Rise of the Forgotten.
    - Azshara's fury.
    - Reign of N'zoth.
    - Reign of Madness.
    - Reign of whispers.
    - Dark Tides.

Meh, I'm not very original, I know, at least I tried.

I'm gonna go with the main villain:
    World of Warcraft: Queen of Tides/Darkness/Madness/Nightmares

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    I highly doubt that even if we get an expansion focusing on Kul'Tiras, Kul'Tiras itself will be on the title of said expansion, I'm guessing that it will be more focused in the threat, something among the lines of:

- Rise of the Naga.
    - Rise of the Deep.
    - Rise of the Forgotten.
    - Azshara's fury.
    - Reign of N'zoth.
    - Reign of Madness.
    - Reign of whispers.
    - Dark Tides.

Meh, I'm not very original, I know, at least I tried.
    I would call it just Black Empire. Short, cool and fit N'zoth expac theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Black empire sounds like it would be about Qiraji more than Naga though.

It would be The Black Empire.

I like it ¡