Well i checked out the app, requires 9.0 or later so my iphone being a gen behind is too old to be allowed to download it. So my options are buy a new phone that costs more than a switch or like a sane person laugh, say fuck that and use discord,mumble, team speak or even my goddamn PS4 party chat to play with friends.

Personally i dont see the win here for nintendo. I know i can just grab any number of free programs and do the same but the average consumer knows shit about fuck all when it comes to technology. Are they really expected to buy a console, buy the games, buy additional overpriced controllers for local multiplayer THEN buy a new smartphone more expensive than all that put together WITH a yearly subscription fee added on top?

After the mainstream having no goddamn idea what the Wii U even was they really think the same crowd is going to be down with all that?

Which means the more technically minded people get around it, the mainstream will be confused and not bother, so who is the audience?

The App doesn't actually look half bad as a side thing once more games support it.

But it being the only official way for game chat is really, really stupid.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...oice-chat-app/

The voicechat functionality of the app must be in the foreground. Meaning, if you try to multitask while waiting for a match to pop up, say trying to view emails, texts, Twitter, etc., you will lose voice connection. You will also lose connection if your phone goes into sleep mode.

And the voicechat app will only work if you are playing a specific game with other players.

Even though this is an idiotic move on Nintendo's part, make sure you rant about it on the app's page on your respective store, so Nintendo can get the feedback and hopefully fix this issue as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post

The voicechat functionality of the app must be in the foreground. Meaning, if you try to multitask while waiting for a match to pop up, say trying to view emails, texts, Twitter, etc., you will lose voice connection. You will also lose connection if your phone goes into sleep mode.

And the voicechat app will only work if you are playing a specific game with other players.

Even though this is an idiotic move on Nintendo's part, make sure you rant about it on the app's page on your respective store, so Nintendo can get the feedback and hopefully fix this issue as soon as possible.
    https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/19/s...nintendos-app/

And grouping problems via the app as well.

What a shock, Nintendo's online software still looks like it's well over a decade old despite literally just rolling out now.

I'm shocked, truly shocked.

Look at my shocked face : |

Can you see all the shock? : |

And they want to ask any amount of money for this. What a fucking joke.

Edit: Yeesh, seeing more articles popping up about the app and it sounds like more and more of a pain in the ass with every new article.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-07-19 at 05:37 PM.

And there goes any hope of it being decent at least.

Like, if you're going to force people to use a roundabout way to voice chat, that thing better be nearly flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/19/s...nintendos-app/

And grouping problems via the app as well.

What a shock, Nintendo's online software still looks like it's well over a decade old despite literally just rolling out now.

I'm shocked, truly shocked.

Look at my shocked face : |

Can you see all the shock? : |

And they want to ask any amount of money for this. What a fucking joke.

Edit: Yeesh, seeing more articles popping up about the app and it sounds like more and more of a pain in the ass with every new article.
    TL;DR on this:

Private Battles with friends: Through Game
    Online Battles with Friends: Must use app

TL;DR on this:

Private Battles with friends: Through Game
    Online Battles with Friends: Must use app
    Also, no chatting should you want to 1v1 them. And plenty of other issues. This sounds like the software itself is as terrible and idiotic as the idea behind the setup and that stupid fucking headset "solution" we've seen to begin with.

Also, no chatting should you want to 1v1 them. And plenty of other issues. This sounds like the software itself is as terrible and idiotic as the idea behind the setup and that stupid fucking headset "solution" we've seen to begin with.
    The hori headphones (specifically the audio mixer that comes with them) is actually a really elegant and cheap solution for audio mixing between the Switch and any voicechat app, regardless of whether you were planning to use Nintendo's version or a third party app such as Discord, Skype, etc.

The Splatnet portion of the app, from what I've seen is great as well.

It's just the voicechat portion is a disaster.

The hori headphones (specifically the audio mixer that comes with them) is actually a really elegant and cheap solution for audio mixing between the Switch and any voicechat app, regardless of whether you were planning to use Nintendo's version or a third party app such as Discord, Skype, etc.
    ...I can't tell if you're being honest or sarcastic here. Because you're literally the first person I've seen call that mess of cables "elegant". This is 2017 yo, not 2006. We have wireless connections and no need to daisy-chain peripherals together just to get them functional.

There shouldn't even need to be a phone app to handle this stuff, it should all be handled through the Switch itself. Like it is on literally every other non-Nintendo console since last fucking generation.

Almost forgot about Splatoon 2's online grouping with friends as well. There really needs to be a fix for that.

People need to hammer home this is idiotic. Put your feedback out there on the app's reviews. Hopefully, one of the investors will ask about it in the Q&A during the earnings meeting next week.

Hopefully, one of the investors will ask about it in the Q&A during the earnings meeting next week.
    That would imply that there would be a big enough investor that also understood any of this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo has always marched to their own beat, unfortunately it seems more often than not that beat is out of tune with the world around them. I actually have friends that bitch about the cables with a VR headset but completely support this hodgepodge of a mess that is the voice functionality for the Switch. It seems diehard Nintendo fans will support anything they sell, when the run of the mill gamers are just confused why we are talking about something like this in 2017...
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    That would imply that there would be a big enough investor that also understood any of this shit.
    And I mean...one would hope that Nintendo would be able to see how deeply flawed such a design, and the current execution is on their own. Without needing an investor rather than any kind of software/hardware engineers or designers, the kind of people who make this shit, to point out how pants-on-head stupid and backwards it is.

Then again, everyone has been doing so since it was first announced and Nintendo seems blissfully unaware of it with all their endless defenses. They sound a lot like Microsoft did with the always-on controversy during the Xbox One announcement, when they were completely lacking in self awareness.

And I mean...one would hope that Nintendo would be able to see how deeply flawed such a design, and the current execution is on their own. Without needing an investor rather than any kind of software/hardware engineers or designers, the kind of people who make this shit, to point out how pants-on-head stupid and backwards it is.

Then again, everyone has been doing so since it was first announced and Nintendo seems blissfully unaware of it with all their endless defenses. They sound a lot like Microsoft did with the always-on controversy during the Xbox One announcement, when they were completely lacking in self awareness.
    Our only hope is that they'll react to useage stats and feedback once the app is live and start fixing the issues. Corporations tend to be blind and deaf towards any prelaunch criticism. Only hard numbers will convince them otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Nintendo has always marched to their own beat, unfortunately it seems more often than not that beat is out of tune with the world around them. I actually have friends that bitch about the cables with a VR headset but completely support this hodgepodge of a mess that is the voice functionality for the Switch. It seems diehard Nintendo fans will support anything they sell, when the run of the mill gamers are just confused why we are talking about something like this in 2017...
    The gag "its okay when nintendo does it" exists for a reason. For every sane person who likes the switch but calls bunk on this shit theres a dozen moviebob clones defending it with rabid zeal for no reason beyond 'b-but its nintendo!'

Kind of like SWTOR 1.0 and the whole "haters to the left, its star wars!" cringefest. Brand loyalty indoctrination is very real, throw in someone having childhood attachment and corporate suits can get away with almost anything with these kinds of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except unfortunately I would have to give credit to Microsoft (first time for everything) and say they admitted the fault and corrected it. Nintendo on the other hand has never seemed to care about any form of maintstream ideology. They seem to do what they want, when they want, no matter what the customer base or developer base thinks about it.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

The app being worse than expected? Shocker

I'm just laughing that noa had to lie through their teeth about the app because of noj

- - - Updated - - -

Waaaait the voice cuts out even if you get a text? lol what fucking morons

Clearly the app was just used as a gimmick to get personal data to advertise more

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...n_action_that/

Wtf
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Hahaha holy shit that looks so bad. Even the comments aren't having any of it, that doesn't bode well for Nintendo when the best defense that fans can muster is, "Well it's bad, but I don't want to use chat anyways so it doesn't bother me." -_-

Hahaha holy shit that looks so bad. Even the comments aren't having any of it, that doesn't bode well for Nintendo when the best defense that fans can muster is, "Well it's bad, but I don't want to use chat anyways so it doesn't bother me." -_-
    "It's one company's way of handling voice chat "

Stfu Reggie
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha and more ha. Fucking joke.