View Poll Results: Did Transmog ruined the excitement of new items?

Voters
592. This poll is closed
  • The Advantages of Transmog Outweigh the disadvantages

482 81.42%
  • Transmog Ruined a small part of the game

110 18.58%
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    A player isn't using transmog to look powerful or seem 'good'. A player is using transmog to personalize his or her character using items available in the game. This idea that scrubs are using transmog to express their "skill" is pretty meaningless considering that it has nothing to do with skill. But good ol' Jaylock will make it so anyone but him is wrong and bad at doing everything, every time.
    I think what he is saying is quite true but in other words.
    Transmog gives the ilusion of fulfillment and acomplishement that didn't existed in previous expansions.

In videogames you are suposed to start a game by looking bad and progressively start looking good and feel completely acomplished at the END.

This basic form of incentive (negative reinforcement) like it or not was removed from the game.
    But ofcourse, not everyone likes "negative reinforcement"...i personally like it...it created a quest mid expansion for me. A quest to start looking cool instead of looking like a clown.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-07-22 at 09:45 PM.

Is more of not being unique you don't want to look like 90% of other wow players so you will transmog your gear, the start of the expac with my Rogue i was wearing the new set for a while till everyone and their mothers had it, so i went back to my WOD s1 Elite set. personally i think is more of a unique feeling.

I think that the bigger issue is that as a plate wearer I can get any fucking plate tier set and wear that. So I can look like a badass Death Knight as a Paladin, which makes no god damn sense, and it can break class identity.

Otherwise I think it's great to have transmog. You still can't wear things you never earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Yes, i admit, nowadays everything is messed up on that department. Half pieces of Mythic+ dungeons, Half legendaries, Half Tier pieces.
    Not the case for most expansion (without counting boots and waist)

But thats not the question i asked in the OP
    I asked if "do you think Transmog ruined the excitement of completing a Tier set of the current expansion?"
    And if "you think there needs to be "new ways" to bring excitement to new items because of Transmog?"
    and we answered that, with, "You didn't give us a choice we want." (i.e. No, We like transmog and see nothing wrong with it.)

I knew your reaction would be of the most people here because...who wouldn't want to look cool?

But "looking bad" was kinda of a "hidden incentive" to raid. You didn't feel acomplished looking like a clown and it was fun to progressively start looking cool...until you finally looked cool and you were happy.

It was kinda of a quest every time a new raid was released. It was fun...in my opinion.
    I agree that looking bad was good incentive to do whatever it takes to not look bad. And that incentive has been completely lost over time, which has made gear so much less valuable/important to have than it used to be. The only problem with that system is that the vast majority of people were forced to raid because that was the only way to acquire cool looking gear. Now if it were possible to acquire cool looking gear by investing your time in other areas of the game that don't require a lot of skill, then this system would have been perfect. What would happen is you would have the players that put in the minimum possible skill + effort/time into the game and they would have clown gear, but all of the players (of any caliber, casual or hardcore) that put skill or effort/time into the game would have the opportunity to acquire cool looking gear.

Essentially the main problem with transmog, is that it makes gear less valuable; and it's not the only system that does this. The fact that epic and legendary items are incredibly easy to obtain devalues gear even more, to the point where in Legion there isn't any reason to acquire gear other than the ability to the harder content. It's pretty sad. If I were tasked to design the transmog system initially, my goals would have been to preserve the incentive to acquire cool gear along with the prestige of having cool gear, while also giving every player the ability to change the look of their gear. Blizzard only did the 2nd part.

Ignore all those idiots that say there are no negatives to transmog and that saying so is very biased, they don't know what they're talking about and it's very obvious they haven't spent any time thinking about the subject at all and how it relates to the entire playerbase. Most of the people that respond in this thread will only see the game in their own little bubble, and will immediately disregard any opinion that tries to make the game enjoyable for all types of players, not just themselves.
    Here are some examples:

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Stormchester View Post
    Like I said , get the current full mythic tier set , there's a fuck few of those around , so there's your excitement and the opportunity to be a cool snowflake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Duke View Post
    Transmog has been one of the most successfull additions to the game, on par with achievements. There are no downsides that are not opinions with heavy bias.
    It's still just as awesome to complete a tier set - much moreso now, that you can actually WEAR that new tier set.
    Before you had to pray and get lucky and loot all 5 items, of the same colour pallet to look like you wore a tier. The moment you entered a new raid, or a better item that was non-tier dropped, you are right back to looking like a clown.

If you are purely basing your opinion on how your character looks - a new item upgrade dropping would make you frustrated more often than happy, because there would be such a high chance it did not have any cohesive look with your set - unless you were raiding the same raid in the same difficulty for weeks, and completing the set that drops from there, new item drops would often not be completing a set. A mage looting a sweet cloth item might be wearing a priest or warlock lookalike, or even if it's a mage item, it may be recolour of their tier rather than a cohesive item.

Transmog, and especially the new "wardrobe collection" system update in Legion, has given raiders the ability to actually look good more than 10% of the time at the end of a raiding tier cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    You'd have to be really hung up in the past with your nostalgia googles so foggy you can't see shit straight if you don't like transmog. Jesus Christ, OP, the name of this thread and your posts in it gave me a mild sort of cancer. One that doesn't kill you but just annoys you for the rest of your life. That's how stupid your thread is.

Not liking transmog, fucking get out of here. Take your biased pool with you.
    Last edited by Haywire5714; 2017-07-22 at 10:21 PM.

Nope. Most tier sets or armor pieces look rubbish anyway. That aside, the visual appeal aspect is completely subjective. What looks good to one person doesn't look good for another. That was part of the reason for bringing transmog in in the first place.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    Nope. Most tier sets or armor pieces look rubbish anyway. That aside, the visual appeal aspect is completely subjective. What looks good to one person doesn't look good for another. That was part of the reason for bringing transmog in in the first place.
    This, this explains it in plain English, if you're still struggling to understand our position, as to why your poll is biased. The Majority of us, have nothing to pick for a Vote.

Did Transmog ruined
    Ugh. Just ugh.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    I agree that looking bad was good incentive to do whatever it takes to not look bad. And that incentive has been completely lost over time, which has made gear so much less valuable/important to have than it used to be. The only problem with that system is that the vast majority of people were forced to raid because that was the only way to acquire cool looking gear. Now if it were possible to acquire cool looking gear by investing your time in other areas of the game that don't require a lot of skill, then this system would have been perfect. What would happen is you would have the players that put in the minimum possible skill + effort/time into the game and they would have clown gear, but all of the players (of any caliber, casual or hardcore) that put skill or effort/time into the game would have the opportunity to acquire cool looking gear.

Essentially the main problem with transmog, is that it makes gear less valuable; and it's not the only system that does this. The fact that epic and legendary items are incredibly easy to obtain devalues gear even more, to the point where in Legion there is really reason to acquire gear other than the ability to the harder content. It's pretty sad. If I were tasked to design the transmog system initially, my goals would have been to preserve the incentive to acquire cool gear along with the prestige of having cool gear, while also giving every player the ability to change the look of their gear. Blizzard only did the 2nd part.

Ignore all those idiots that say there are no negatives to transmog and that saying so is very biased, they don't know what they're talking about and it's very obvious they haven't spent any time thinking about the subject at all and how it relates to the entire playerbase. Most of the people that respond in this thread will only see the game in their own little bubble, and will immediately disregard any opinion that tries to make the game enjoyable for all types of players and not just themselves.
    When i first saw your post i thought you were going to relentlessly diss me.
    Little did i know i was reading the most warmful post.
    Thank you for the reply, you understand me : )

I am not anti-transmog, i'm pro-new stuff to make people excited. I just hoped people would understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    No one should seriously care about that. If you do, then you are for transmog. I personally enjoy Transmog for that reason, and for that reason it has absolutely no detriment what so ever.

Gear is gear though. Its for your character to grow stronger, not look pretty. If you are not excited to get 4p then its time to quit raiding. Some of the gear out there including trinkets and sets are so unbelievable strong that I wouldn't care if it forced me to have a pink dildo on my head.
    'Cus fashion doesn't exist at all...It's not like being able to choose appearence, both character and gear, in games is becoming a huge selling point or anything. Nope.

That you don't care is on you, don't use the service. If it's part of why many others keep playing, you betcha it matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Lmao, "player look gud must be gud".

Nobody looked at peoples gear to tell how powerful they were in WotLK, because everyone was using gearscore, including yourself. The last time I even heard about anyone doing this was old tryhard vanilla players that swear up and down that Judgement T2 and Dreadnaught's T3 are the best looking sets in the game.

A player isn't using transmog to look powerful or seem 'good'. A player is using transmog to personalize his or her character using items available in the game. This idea that scrubs are using transmog to express their "skill" is pretty meaningless considering that it has nothing to do with skill. But good ol' Jaylock will make it so anyone but him is wrong and bad at doing everything, every time.
    But...but now they have to git gud and not just prey on low-geared people for their honor points! We can't have that...

Essentially the main problem with transmog, is that it makes gear less valuable; and it's not the only system that does this. The fact that epic and legendary items are incredibly easy to obtain devalues gear even more, to the point where in Legion there is really reason to acquire gear other than the ability to the harder content. It's pretty sad. If I were tasked to design the transmog system initially, my goals would have been to preserve the incentive to acquire cool gear along with the prestige of having cool gear, while also giving every player the ability to change the look of their gear. Blizzard only did the 2nd part.
    Devalue? Uhhhh....actually its the oposite, how about the countless Professions items that now can be selled on the AH for Transmog, or the itens from old Raids/dungeons/random mobs that are hunted and used to make cool looking sets?

Transmog valued old pieces of gear that would otherwise be forgotten by time and by consequence, made people visit the old world and actually do older content, this also makes new players to go explore the vast amount of Raids blizzard created.

If you mean devalue the new epics, thats not the Transmog fault, Transmog its actually a solution, Epics are given to the player all the time but the appearence of the item doesn't change considering WQ and the Warforge and Titanforge system, you end up equiping the same item with better stats.Transmogs fixs this, letting you have the appearence you want and still keep the good itens on.

Ignore all those idiots that say there are no negatives to transmog and that saying so is very biased, they don't know what they're talking about and it's very obvious they haven't spent any time thinking about the subject at all and how it relates to the entire playerbase. Most of the people that respond in this thread will only see the game in their own little bubble, and will immediately disregard any opinion that tries to make the game enjoyable for all types of players and not just themselves.
    Here are some examples:
    Yes ignore other people's opinion because they don't agree with you.

Brilliant.

Also...

Most of the people that respond in this thread will only see the game in their own little bubble,
    Like the OP?Considering that biasis pool that either agrees with him/her or agrees with him/her?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    Transmog valued old pieces of gear that would otherwise be forgotten by time and by consequence, made people visit the old world and actually do older content, this also makes new players to go explore the vast amount of Raids blizzard created.
    I will say this one last time. Understand it or not i won't reply i'm so tired

"Transmog valued old pieces of gear"
    True but at the same time devalued NEW pieces of gear (because there are hundreds of old transmogs and only a few NEW current transmogs.

"made people visit the old world and actually do older content, this also makes new players to go explore the vast amount of Raids blizzard created."
    It also made people less interested in doing NEW current content if there is no transmog they like in the current expansion.
    And whats the objective of the game? To play the current expansion Blizzard spent Millions making.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-07-22 at 10:36 PM.

Good point, but what if in the entire expansion there is no "new look" you like?
    You will spend 2 years without being excited about anything "visually" which is a BIG part of the game. Just look at the many die hard transmog fans out there.

I think that fact is disturbing and it happens a lot because there are hundreds of old transmogs at your disposal more than new.

If a system was in place...i don't know what...some kind of system like MoP CM sets with flashy new animations on spells this wouldn't be a problem. You would always want something new of the current expansion!

That's all i want to say.
    There, you can close the thread.
    that is not the issue with transmog but rather art direction for the expansion not meshing with my personal tastes. in which case - transmog just became even more appealing. there's always something new in new expansions to collect. toys. pets. mounts. titles. achievements. it doesn't have to be solely about gear. oh. right. i forgot. its about e-peen waving. and even then - mounts and titles. tada

you do current content becasue its current content. new challenges, new story.

Essentially the main problem with transmog, is that it makes gear less valuable; and it's not the only system that does this. The fact that epic and legendary items are incredibly easy to obtain devalues gear even more, to the point where in Legion there isn't any reason to acquire gear other than the ability to the harder content. It's pretty sad. If I were tasked to design the transmog system initially, my goals would have been to preserve the incentive to acquire cool gear along with the prestige of having cool gear, while also giving every player the ability to change the look of their gear. Blizzard only did the 2nd part.

Ignore all those idiots that say there are no negatives to transmog and that saying so is very biased, they don't know what they're talking about and it's very obvious they haven't spent any time thinking about the subject at all and how it relates to the entire playerbase. Most of the people that respond in this thread will only see the game in their own little bubble, and will immediately disregard any opinion that tries to make the game enjoyable for all types of players, not just themselves.
    Here are some examples:
    Sorry to tell you , but the only idiots here are the people like you. How vain do you have to be to care how other people look ? And transmog only increases the value of gear not the other way around . Before that you only used the item for the time you actually wore it , after that the model became useless. This way every model that gets added will continue to be used by different players with different tastes. The people who don't want to use the system are free not to , and enjoy their little journey of not looking like a clown. There are no losers . Only people who have such a low self esteem that they need to stand out in the crowd of clowns to feel ok.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

We will say this One more time...
    I will say this one last time. Understand it or not i won't reply i'm so tired

"Transmog valued old pieces of gear"
    True but at the same time devalued NEW pieces of gear (because there are thousands of old transmogs and only a few NEW current transmogs.

"made people visit the old world and actually do older content, this also makes new players to go explore the vast amount of Raids blizzard created."
    It also made people less interested in doing NEW current content if there is no transmog they like in the current expansion.
    And whats the objective of the game? To play the current expansion.
    1)Many new pieces of Gear don't get use in Transmogs because many of us... Don't like the look of them.

2)The only people that don't do any of the new current content, are those that don't a) Raid, b) PvP

So what I'm trying to get from all of this is, You think People don't Raid, or PvP because they don't have to if they already have a look that pleases them? Take the blinders off man.

/10 char asdasd
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2017-07-24 at 08:42 PM.

Deleted
    That's where i see the problem.
    You see, now everyone is cool.
    So there is no excitement in new items.
    Everyone still had to get those items, the difference now, is that you can actually wear your Best in slot gear, but make it look like the pieces you want. How do you not get this?

I am not anti-transmog, i'm pro-new stuff to make people excited. I just hoped people would understand that.
    You're failing pretty hard to convince anyone so far. Nothing you said would fix your problems with transmog that didn't require Blizzard making 100,000s of different, yet unique, variations for every piece of armor in future expansions.

No, I don't think transmogrification ruined any aspects of the game. One of the biggest failures on Blizzard's part, is allowing the degradation of rare, epic, and legendary items. Only worsening the issue is the implementation of warforging/titanforging items. Realistically, colors of gear no longer hold any weight, thus eliminating prestige. A casual player is given ample opportunity to surpass a mythic raider, if luck falls in his/her favor. Whereas, before, players had to dedicate themselves to the game in-order to obtain powerful items. However, I digress, because none of this matters anymore in World of Warcraft. It is far too late.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero Stormchester View Post
    Sorry to tell you , but the only idiots here are the people like you. How vain do you have to be to care how other people look ?
    Not this again, i won't even...

And transmog only increases the value of gear not the other way around
    How can transmog increase the value of NEW pieces of gear? (of the current expansion, let's say Legion)
    There are hundreds of old transmog only to a few new transmogs. The "market" is saturated.
    Not to speak of the people who wait the expansion to end so they can solo the content and get it for free...DEVALUATING new pieces of gear of retail.
    Endless cycle.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-07-22 at 10:58 PM.