Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Would you quit WoW for a Diablo mmo?

With all of the recent evidence pointing to the Diablo team creating an mmo and with WoW wrapping up a majority of its main story lines, would you jump ship to the hypothetical Diablo MMO? Personally I'd give it a shot, I've never been a huge fan of Diablo because it's an arpg but the lore and setting of the game would make for an amazingly dark world. Assuming it's running on a much better graphics engine than both WoW and D3 and takes influence from WoW while improving on its major issues, it could be a huge success.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Deleted
    Looking how bad the lore of diablo got with D3... no never.

15+ Year Old Account
    Without a doubt. I just need something that is WoW but another theme and engine. Diablo is the perfect universe imo.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

No. Don't see a Diablo MMO doing well personally.

Nah, Warcraft lore is richer, and it is more my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    With all of the recent evidence pointing to the Diablo team creating an mmo and with WoW wrapping up a majority of its main story lines, would you jump ship to the hypothetical Diablo MMO? Personally I'd give it a shot, I've never been a huge fan of Diablo because it's an arpg but the lore and setting of the game would make for an amazingly dark world. Assuming it's running on a much better graphics engine than both WoW and D3 and takes influence from WoW while improving on its major issues, it could be a huge success.
    There is not much evidence about Diablo as MMO. We know there is new Diablo game, that's all.

But anyway, if Diablo would be MMO? I would play it of course. But I seriously doubt they would make Diablo as standard MMO game, It just doesn't fit in any way. Maybe some hub areas where you can make a party and do some killing, sure. But open world MMO stuff? I am not sure how they could make it a still call it Diablo.

In a heart beat.

Or a Starcraft MMO.

Or OverWatch MMO.

Or anything but Warcraft, with Blizzard polish.

Don't know that I would quit permanently, but I'd absolutely do it short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    Looking how bad the lore of diablo got with D3... no never.
    Have you seen WoW recently? We killed Illidan. Oh hey he was just in jail lol now he's WoWJesus. Sargeras killed the Titans. Oh actually they're all still alive. Sargeras is the most evil and strongest enemy. Oh actually there are Void Lords who are trying to conquer all creation because reasons. It's a complete mess.

What would be the point, we have most of the Diablo crap here in WoW.

You mean WoW isn't a Diablo MMO?

7+ Year Old Account
    For fresh blizzlike mmorpg ofc yes.

Deleted
    Depends, i think i will always keep going back to WoW.
    But if Diablo is something new and different experience from WoW then i might check it out maybe even put more time into that then WoW.
    But it really need to feel new like a MMO with very dark fantasy like Dark Souls.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've wanted to explore the entire world of Diablo since I started playing D2 as a kid. So, yes, I would definitely play one, but no I would not feel the need to quit WoW to do so.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    There is not much evidence about Diablo as MMO. We know there is new Diablo game, that's all.

But anyway, if Diablo would be MMO? I would play it of course. But I seriously doubt they would make Diablo as standard MMO game, It just doesn't fit in any way. Maybe some hub areas where you can make a party and do some killing, sure. But open world MMO stuff? I am not sure how they could make it a still call it Diablo.

Diablo is Diablo not because it's an ARPG, but because of its lore which is almost as fleshed out as Warcrafts. Wow came from an RTS, the complete opposite of an MMO. Seeing what they made when they jumped from Warcraft 3 the frozen throne to vanilla wow, I have complete faith that blizzard could take all of the lore from Diablo 1,2, and 3 and make an amazing MMO. They already have enough classes to have your standard party/raid too. Speaking of classes, one of he original creators of Diablo did an interview with a streamer named Rhyker, where he told Rhyker of a healing class they had intention on adding to Diablo but was scrapped due to the ARPG element of the game. If they expanded upon scrapped elements and combined all of the known lands in lore there's easily more content than vanilla wow had.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Have you seen WoW recently? We killed Illidan. Oh hey he was just in jail lol now he's WoWJesus. Sargeras killed the Titans. Oh actually they're all still alive. Sargeras is the most evil and strongest enemy. Oh actually there are Void Lords who are trying to conquer all creation because reasons. It's a complete mess.
    So what? Never watched a Movie/Serie? There are allways a stronger Enemy that trys to kill/destroy something. And dead pplys that coming back with some reason.

U dont like the logic? the whole game has no logic that ppl like we kills big fat evil bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Ok, going at this in order. Yes, we killed Illidan cause we didn't know the whole story. He was dead, his soul literally ripped into a ton of pieces that we had to gather together to revive him. The Titans are dead. Sargeras captured their souls and is building them Avatars like he used against Aegwynn for them to inhabit once he's broken them, so far Aggramar is done. Sargeras is the most powerful entity we know of in the lore. The Void Lords were covetous of the Titan's power, most particularly their ability to influence the material universe, which they cannot do directly, so they use agents.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Diablo is Diablo not because it's an ARPG, but because of its lore which is almost as fleshed out as Warcrafts. Wow came from an RTS, the complete opposite of an MMO. Seeing what they made when they jumped from Warcraft 3 the frozen throne to vanilla wow, I have complete faith that blizzard could take all of the lore from Diablo 1,2, and 3 and make an amazing MMO. They already have enough classes to have your standard party/raid too. Speaking of classes, one of he original creators of Diablo did an interview with a streamer named Rhyker, where he told Rhyker of a healing class they had intention on adding to Diablo but was scrapped due to the ARPG element of the game. If they expanded upon scrapped elements and combined all of the known lands in lore there's easily more content than vanilla wow had.
    WoW now is very different compared to vanilla, however It did make sense. Every character was just one of these tiny units from RTS while important characters were NPCs you could meet. Diablo was always about you being hero fighting against all odds.

Currently in WoW, we are of course the biggest and only heroes, but you really want same feel again in new MMO? I don't. It doesn't fit Diablo from pure theme perspective. Diablo needs go back to the roots, bring back some gothic horror feel, a bit of suspense, be less epic and more about surviving in places, noone ever would.

D3 ruined quite a lot of what made Diablo .. you know..Diablo. And from all job postings, it seems blizzard really want bring some of this back. And I think they understand very well, open world MMO game would definitely ruin that Diablo charm.

So while new Diablo game could be some generic MMO in gothic settings, I really don't believe this is the way they are taking. At least it doesn't look like that.

What are you talking about the lore is awful in Diablo. They don't build upon much if anything and just piece together nonsense with each patch/expansion. Diablo doesn't need strong lore in a hack and slash game people don't pay much if any attention to that. For and mmo it is much more important. You can only go with the fighting the evils of hell story line so much before it is just pure nonsense. WoW has muliple sources of heroes and villian, Diablo is very one note.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless Blizzard is ready to toss WoW in the bin and completely give up on it there is no way they are spending the money and time it would take to make another mmo that would have to compete with their own game. Nevermind the fact that WoW is still a money making beast for them even with the mmo market dying off. With the genius of the tokens they now have found a way to get people to play WoW and in some form pay for it so they can use tokens to get other games or features at a mark 25% mark up.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."